You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Masters football Dubai

m0e

A mate of mine organised the mini-masters in Dubai featuring the mighty Reds, Chelsea, Newcastle and Manure. Needless to say, we dominated and beat Newcastle in the final. Great day out, but nothing prepared me for what was to follow...

The adventure started the next day though during the corporate 5-a-side, where the sponsors each had their own teams alongside Sports Solutions (the organisers) who's team included myself and the organiser as well as most of our mates.

The great thing about this event was that each team would get 2 masters in their squad, and I couldn't wait to find out who was on our side!

Fast forward to the Avaiation club, and its to my delight that I find out we had John Wark... altough my mood waas dampened by the disappointment that we would also have Kevin Gallagher too! (Great lad though!)

As the first game got underway, Warky brought along Mike Marsh, Bob Bolder and the masters-legend himself, John Durnin, to sit with us in the stands. Great lads all of them.

The Solutions, being the mad Reds that we are, managed to convince Marshy and Bobby to ditch the Irish U-19's rugby team and join the Solutions. However, Ali was havig none of it. But Neither was big Bob Bolder, who tore off his Irish jersey and said, "Fuck the Irish, I'm playing with you lads!"

I asked Ali where Rushie was, and he said "Playing Golf!"

"Ally McCoist?"... "Hamstring problem!"

"Gazza and Waddle?"..... "Recovering from a heavy night!"

Ok then...

As the second game started I then noticed Kevin Gallagher on DHL's side!

"Kevin... What you doing?"

"Dunno m0e... Ali says I'm on this team now!"

"Your'e shite anyway!"

So i then proceeded to at least try and convince Durnin to join our side. He said he couldn't make that decision, so I told Mo and Nemmy to find Ali and ask him.

In the meantime, we heard some cracking stories from Warky about the filming of Escape to Victory, whilst still trying to convince John to tell Ali he'd only play on our team.

I then see Nemmy legging it up the stairs with this huge grin on his face...

"You'll never believe it!"

"Believe what?"

"All you need is Rush! la la lalala! He's here and we've fucking got him!!!"

Un-fucking-believeable!!!! In 10 minutes, I'll be on a football pitch (albeit a 5-a-side on) with the legend that is Ian Rush!

"Cheers John but we won't be needing you now!"

And so it happened. I played... for 8 minutes... with my all-time liverpool hero.

We lost the first game but won the next 2 with Rushie scoring three and Mo stealing the limelight with 4 of his own.

"Rushie set me up! This is unreal!" Mo was orgasmic!

Ali was in dreamland too, as his mishit shot was diverted in by the legend for the winner in our 4-3 final group game victory!

"Thats how Kenny made his living, Ali!" said Rushie. "I made him who he was!" follwed by his classic laugh that made him all the more loveable!

That wasn't enough to get us into the final, but our dreams were realised.

Once we were showered it was off to the Irish Village with the rest of the masters for some cold beer and good old footy banter.

We then headed off back to the hotel for some much needed rest before the gala dinner... then back on the piss again.

A truely memorable weekend was complete as Rushie joined us in the Hilton Sports Bar to watch the Bolton game. After our victory he sent Robbie a congrats message to which God duly replied with a humble show of gratitude.

I just had to share this experience with you guys.

I'm still pinching myself now!

Rush is all you need...

That's ace.

I got a tip from a lad who spoke to Lee Sharp at that Dubai thing. Apparently the next Newcastle manager has already been sorted. Flores from Valencia. You heard it here first. Unless it's wrong; then you can forget where you heard it.

That better come in now Monty, I have bet my house car, all my life savings and the dog on it!

That's ace.

I got a tip from a lad who spoke to Lee Sharp at that Dubai thing. Apparently the next Newcastle manager has already been sorted. Flores from Valencia. You heard it here first. Unless it's wrong; then you can forget where you heard it.

So Newcastle have had enough of our ex-managers and are now getting their new managers from the same club we got ours.

Wow, that's a long sentence.

Wasn't he Rafa's ex-2nd in command?

M0e - Any tips on where to go, what to do (and what not to do, re: boozing) in Dubai? Might be going out there to work soon...

There's loads to do here.

Plenty of boozing, plenty of sun and plenty of air hostesses (is that the correct spelling?)

Let me know when you're coming out here and i'll hook you up.