You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which is your favourite season of The Wire?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite season of The Wire?

On 12/04/2022 at 21:28, Kepler-186 said:

Might have popped up on the upcoming TV shows, new series from David Simon that draws on another Baltimore Sun Crime Reporter’s book, Justin Fenton’s We Own This City. 

Some of the cast are in it, Jamie Hector and Domenic Lombardozzi.   

Looks like it will be a mini series. 

https://www.techradar.com/news/we-own-this-citys-first-full-trailer-has-us-hopeful-for-a-true-successor-to-the-wire

Watched the first episode earlier and enjoyed it.

• 4 weeks later...

Finished the last episode of “We own this city”.

It’s a really good show on its own merits, but as a companion piece to the The Wire it’s essential. Simon has described it as the “coda to The Wire” which is about right.

The way Marlo was the essential final form of Avon, “We own this city” is the final ugly form of the real police in The Wire.

I’ve ordered the 350 page that the miniseries is based off, so will be dropping anecdotes and info from it in here. 

I said earlier on that I think it should have been longer. While that would have been ideal, I think Simon is way smarter than me and knows it would have just turned into his version of The Shield. As much as I would wank myself silly for that, it’s not a good idea for a storyteller like Simon to retread well worn ground.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kevin D said:

It’s a really good show on its own merits, but as a companion piece to the The Wire it’s essential. Simon has described it as the “coda to The Wire” which is about right.

The way Marlo was the essential final form of Avon, “We own this city” is the final ugly form of the real police in The Wire.

I’ve ordered the 350 page that the miniseries is based off, so will be dropping anecdotes and info from it in here. 

I said earlier on that I think it should have been longer. While that would have been ideal, I think Simon is way smarter than me and knows it would have just turned into his version of The Shield. As much as I would wank myself silly for that, it’s not a good idea for a storyteller like Simon to retread well worn ground.

Where did you watch it? 

Just now, lifetime fan said:

Where did you watch it? 

Just on one of the streaming sites.

It’s HBO, so it will be on Sky Atlantic or Now Tv fairly soon. There’s the British lass from the final series of Luther as a main character, so it won’t be too far away.

2 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Watched two episodes so far, seems very good. Enjoying seeing baltimore again 

14 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Watched two episodes so far, seems very good. Enjoying seeing baltimore again 

There’s also an HBO podcast with some of the writers and actors that’s well worth a listen after every episode:

• Upvote 1

I'm just about to start episode four of 'We own...'

And though it's not The Wire, it's really good.

Two things though that's stopping me properly engaging is the cast of The Wire popping up in completely opposite roles to their previous characters, especially Marlo as the Homicide cop and Jenkins looking so much like Eddie Guerrero I keep thinking they might drop a 'I lie, I cheat, I steal' in to dialogue for shits and giggles.

Apart from that I'll finish it in a day.

• Upvote 1