You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lord Frodsham

Rashid

They watched him for over 3 seasons Beni. I seem to recall a post from Will M about a meeting that both Alan Edge and he had with Rick Parry in 2001 about the Anfield4Ever Campaign.

Apparently Parry was raving about Cissé. I recall an article in The Times/Guardian from about 3 years ago when they were also raving about him - calling him a prototype of the complete striker as I recall (Henry's Pace, Hasslebaink's Power and Owen's finishing).

But so far he has looked less than the complete striker you describe above, hasnt he...and not really likely to improve. Owen for Cisse would mean more goals, more wins, more points.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is Rash, The Times (as you have said) is Owen's newspaper.

Sorry for being cynical here, but you have to wonder whether all the papers "Owen to return/Cisse to leave" exclusives are coming from Owen and SFX with the aim of forcing the club into a deal and unsettling Cisse to seal it in the process.

I don't buy that Col. If Rafa wanted to keep Cisse he has to just say he is not for sale. Instead Cisse himself says that maybe the manager doesn't have a place for him. It is Rafa that wants rid of Cisse, which is a shame because Cisse can become one of the best with the right confidence.

But so far he has looked less than the complete striker you describe above, hasnt he...and not really likely to improve. Owen for Cisse would mean more goals, more wins, more points.

Why is it Owen for Cisse? Owen is coming to replace himself from last summer! Cisse replaced Heskey, Cruch replaced Baros. We need 4 top strikers.

I'm saying judge him when he's missing chances. At the moment he isn't getting any certainly not of the quality Baros and Morientes were getting last season.

In the limited time he has played, he has missed a fair few chance, whilst I would say getting caught offside when you shouldnt (and therefore miss a potential run on goal) is also sometimes an equivalent to a miss, and there are a few of those as well....

PARRY DROPS OWEN HINT

Sportinglife.com

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry has dropped the strongest hint yet that the club could re-sign Michael Owen.

Parry has not ruled out the possibility that the club could bid to bring the striker they sold to Real Madrid last year back to England.

Owen wants to return to the Premiership and has said that would ideally be with Liverpool and not Newcastle, the only club to have so far bid.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has continually said a striker is not a priority, but Parry has revealed a deal could be possible.

Parry said: "There has never been a split between us and Rafa over Michael Owen or any other player.

"It's not a no or a yes - there has been plenty of speculation and we will see next week. It's always encouraging when a player says he wants to come to Liverpool.

Reds captain Steven Gerrard admits he would like to see Owen come back.

Gerrard, speaking after watching Liverpool drawn in the same group as Chelsea for the Champions League group stage, said: "Fingers crossed! It's obviously up to the Liverpool manager but everyone knows what I want."

The issue could be made clearer if Lyon or Monaco, who have both been linked with moves for Liverpool's French striker Djibril Cisse, were to make a firm approach for the player.

Click here to send us your

In the limited time he has played, he has missed a fair few chance, whilst I would say getting caught offside when you shouldnt (and therefore miss a potential run on goal) is also sometimes an equivalent to a miss, and there are a few of those as well....

And Michael Owen used to go on runs (7/8 games) where he never scored.

He's not the messiah, he's not even a very naughty boy.

Preseason there have been 3 oustanding players Cisse, Sissoko & Gerrard.

Cisse was dropped in favour of the awful Morientes (presumably to keep him from kicking off) but never kicked off and just knuckled down and the only time his form was effected was when the press spec started to happen and the fact Rafa didnt quash it in the PCs and just gave Baros type standard answers

Outstanding? In whose opinion apart from your own? Find me one match report where he is referred to as outstanding? Sometimes we are really over-generous in our descriptions - just what does outstanding mean here - scoring a couple of goals against the Lithuanian champions?

I don't buy that Col.

And I don't buy that Rash. Rafa is playing a straight bat when interviewed but Parry is dangling a hook.

I'm far from convinced Rafa wanted Gerrard, wants Owen, wants to keep Cisse. Imho he may want to recreate his own team not reunite Houlliers.

And Michael Owen used to go on runs (7/8 games) where he never scored.

He's not the messiah, he's not even a very naughty boy.

Good quote mate, and I think although you meant it in jest, you may have a point - I think it is because he is 'a naughty boy' (for daring to leave our almighty club), that there is so much criticism of his possible arrival. If he had never played for us (e.g. if we were Newcastle fans) we would be seriously creaming our pants as we have dont have such a dangerous striker on our books.

Good quote mate, and I think although you meant it in jest, you may have a point - I think it is because he is 'a naughty boy' (for daring to leave our almighty club), that there is so much criticism of his possible arrival. If he had never played for us (e.g. if we were Newcastle fans) we would be seriously creaming our pants as we have dont have such a dangerous striker on our books.

The other thing is if Owen is a naughty boy for daring to want to leave (which I hated him for too), then what is the club doing trying to sell of Cisse? Ian had it spot on last night, there no loyalty from either side in football. The only mugs are us the fans.

The other thing is if Owen is a naughty boy for daring to want to leave (which I hated him for too), then what is the club doing trying to sell of Cisse? Ian had it spot on last night, there no loyalty from either side in football. The only mugs are us the fans.

Exactly, and it was Parry & Moores who sanctioned the spending of £14m on Cissé.

Therefore it doesn't put them in a good light if he leaves on loan/for a substantial loss.

Rushian posted on another forum that Benitez was given the choice of going ahead with the Cisse deal or dropping out and he told Parry to go ahead.

Is that the original deal Cardie or the one that is now being mooted in the press (to Marseilles/Lyon)?

Rafa greenlighted the move from Auxerre.

Doesn't make sense as to why he would get rid of him now then.

I still believe the speculation about Cissé is coming from Owen's agents (SFX). They nearly got Steven Gerrard out of the club, indeed they almost created a divide between players and fans.

Rushian posted on another forum that Benitez was given the choice of going ahead with the Cisse deal or dropping out and he told Parry to go ahead.

defo dont believe him, unless Rafa told me this personally id defo not believe him ever, with the 14m he would probably have got 2 more world class players and Owen may never have left etc etc.

Dont believe it

The deal was agreed between the clubs the January before the July he signed and it would have been very hard for Liverpool to get out of the deal. Outside of an Everton medical we were commited to the deal.

But not impossible since nothing was signed.

Rafa appears to have been given the option and took the decision to sign him.

But not impossible since nothing was signed.

Rafa appears to have been given the option and took the decision to sign him.

I'll never believe that until rafa says so himself, utter garbage in my opinon of course.

by the way you dont need a signed contract to enforce a sale, the fact the price was agreed etc is still binding on both parties, ie auxerre wouldnt have been able to sell Cisse to Chelsea for example.