You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lord Frodsham

Rashid

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LYON SET FOR CISSE MOVE

Sporting Life

Gerard Houllier may swoop for Djibril Cisse - his last signing before leaving Liverpool - giving his Anfield successor Rafael Benitez extra room for manoeuvre in the Michael Owen saga.

Benitez refused to discuss a move to bring Owen back to Liverpool from Real Madrid, before Friday's European Super Cup final against CSKA Moscow in Monaco.

It is thought Benitez has been unwilling to upset his current strikers with this match and important Champions League clashes on the agenda in recent weeks.

But Houllier, now manager at French champions Lyon, has made an inquiry about Cisse - a player be bought from Auxerre for £14million just weeks before Benitez arrived at Liverpool.

If the French international could be sold, and Liverpool recoup much of the original transfer fee, Benitez will have money and a gap in his squad to accommodate Owen.

Houllier, who has Champions League football to offer and money to spend following the sale of Michael Essien to Chelsea, wants Cisse to return to France and lead his attack.

There was plenty of contact between Owen's advisors and Liverpool this week, with the Real Madrid player confirming he wants to return to the club he left in an £8million deal last year.

Newcastle have had a bid in excess of £15million accepted by Real. But Owen has said he would like to move to Tyneside only on a loan deal - and in the event of a Liverpool transfer failing to materialise before Wednesday's deadline.

Owen wants to return to his Flintshire mansion. It is believed his pregnant wife wants to return to the UK to be near her family, while Owen needs to be playing regular football during World Cup year.

Liverpool could not afford to match Newcastle's bid and would not countenance paying Madrid twice what they received for the player a year ago.

1. Did Henry get injured 2 months into his career at Arsenal which would have ended most players careers?

2. Did Henry not take a while to settle into English football?

3. Did Henry have to endure a manager always playing him out of positon and then using him as sub all the time?

Henry had a manager who had confidence and patience with him and they got the rewards. I love Rafa but his transfer policy is pretty shit.

Hey, I'm pretty happy entrusting things to Rafa, even if you're not.

Maybe I should get in touch with Crouchy and get him to dye his locks red, maybe, just maybe, then you might learn to love him. Rafa isn't about flamboyance, he's about the team.

are you saying you have the patience to let him play every game from now on his current form?

I'm saying judge him when he's missing chances. At the moment he isn't getting any certainly not of the quality Baros and Morientes were getting last season.

Hey, I'm pretty happy entrusting things to Rafa, even if you're not.

Maybe I should get in touch with Crouchy and get him to dye his locks red, maybe, just maybe, then you might learn to love him. Rafa isn't about flamboyance, he's about the team.

Crouch is not in Cisse's league mate. Cisse is a France International striker coming back from a serious injury trying to get a regular game in his favoured position. Crouch is just another ordinary premiership player.

LYON SET FOR CISSE MOVE

Sporting Life

Gerard Houllier may swoop for Djibril Cisse - his last signing before leaving Liverpool - giving his Anfield successor Rafael Benitez extra room for manoeuvre in the Michael Owen saga.

Benitez refused to discuss a move to bring Owen back to Liverpool from Real Madrid, before Friday's European Super Cup final against CSKA Moscow in Monaco.

It is thought Benitez has been unwilling to upset his current strikers with this match and important Champions League clashes on the agenda in recent weeks.

But Houllier, now manager at French champions Lyon, has made an inquiry about Cisse - a player be bought from Auxerre for £14million just weeks before Benitez arrived at Liverpool.

If the French international could be sold, and Liverpool recoup much of the original transfer fee, Benitez will have money and a gap in his squad to accommodate Owen.

Houllier, who has Champions League football to offer and money to spend following the sale of Michael Essien to Chelsea, wants Cisse to return to France and lead his attack.

There was plenty of contact between Owen's advisors and Liverpool this week, with the Real Madrid player confirming he wants to return to the club he left in an £8million deal last year.

Newcastle have had a bid in excess of £15million accepted by Real. But Owen has said he would like to move to Tyneside only on a loan deal - and in the event of a Liverpool transfer failing to materialise before Wednesday's deadline.

Owen wants to return to his Flintshire mansion. It is believed his pregnant wife wants to return to the UK to be near her family, while Owen needs to be playing regular football during World Cup year.

Liverpool could not afford to match Newcastle's bid and would not countenance paying Madrid twice what they received for the player a year ago.

This reads almost like it is coming from Owen's people. As far as I am aware GH hasn't made an enquiry about Cissé (Dave can you confirm/deny?)

Add into the equation Cissé is cup-tied for the CL and it doesn't make sense.

I disagree- strongly. Firstly, Owen and SG know each others games inside out, while Cisse doesn't eactly make intelligent runs does he considering we have a midfield full of excellent passers.

Secondly, as Ian Brown said, Owen will guarantee you 20 + goals.

So we'll be back to the Gerrard and Owen show, so much for Rafa being about the the team.

PS: Owen, Guarentee 20 goals, are you sure?

Crouch is not in Cisse's league mate. Cisse is a France International striker coming back from a serious injury trying to get a regular game in his favoured position. Crouch is just another ordinary premiership player.

Just coming back from injury? I thought he made a quicksmart recovery back in April.

Perhaps its just that Cisse looks the part and is lightening that you rate him so highly.

Crouch plays for the team, Cisse, for himself

He's had plenty in the last two games, mate.

He hasn't, the creativity in the team in the last two games has been very poor. On Saturday an incorrect offside flag robbed him of a legitimate goal, had that gone in we wouldn't be having this discussion.

They are bouncing in off Drogba at the moment, just wish Djibril was getting some of that luck as it would do wonders for his confidence.

So we'll be back to the Gerrard and Owen show, so much for Rafa being about the the team.

Cardie he may not have scofed 20 league goals in a season, he certainly gets over 20 a season overall. The other thing is he has had bad luck with injury. I don't see why we have to be so skint. Whats wrong with keeping Cisse and buying Owen?

He hit 16 from the bench for real. he was our top scorer from 98 onwards- playing in predominately negative teams, with often average players.

Just coming back from injury? I thought he made a quicksmart recovery back in April.

Perhaps its just that Cisse looks the part and is lightening that you rate him so highly.

Cisse scored 26 league goals the last time he played a full season. Having seen Crouch and Cisse this summer, I know which one looks the better and its not the tall one.

He hit 16 from the bench for real. he was our top scorer from 98 onwards- playing in predominately negative teams, with often average players.

They weren't negative teams Beni, that's a ridiculous thing to say. They were only really negative in GH's last two seasons and even then ultimately the teams were geared towards providing Owen with chances.

He hasn't, the creativity in the team in the last two games has been very poor. On Saturday an incorrect offside flag robbed him of a legitimate goal, had that gone in we wouldn't be having this discussion.

They are bouncing in off Drogba at the moment, just wish Djibril was getting some of that luck as it would do wonders for his confidence.

I just don't see him fitting in to how Rafa wants to play football. I don't think he is gifted enough in certain areas of his game or intelligent enough to do so.

Good luck to the lad, though, regardless of his future.

Crouch has to play for the team, he's going to be relying on them to carry him through games.

Cisse has the ability to turn a game on his own.

I just don't see him fitting in to how Rafa wants to play football. I don't think he is gifted enough in certain areas of his game or intelligent enough to do so.

on that basis i dont see Owen fitting into that system either and Rafa should be allowed to buy Kuyt but thats another argument all together

Problem is Rafa seems to want to play the game without a goalscorer.