You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andy Johnson and Wayne Routledge.

Juan Galonso

Were fucking superb on Saturday. Johnson in particular, his display is probably one of the best individual displays I have seen from a striker this season against us. His work-rate was phenomenal, he has unbelieveable pace and always looked dangerous throughout.

Routledge was one of the few players this season who has given the excellent Finnan a few problems.

I posted on here a few weeks ago we should be looking at these players if Palace went down and basically some people laughed at me. It was the snobbiness in some people saying Routledge isn't good enough, we should be going for SWP and Joaquin. We have to be realistic and go for players with potential to be really good players at cheap prices, yeah lets go out and blow 20m odd on SWP when there is a 19 yr old Bosman available who would be a great signing for us.

Routledge is going on a bosman, Liverpool fan, would be cheap on wages and would be an ideal replacement for the lazy fat australian.

Johnson would be the ideal long term partner for Nando.

If these players are available in the summer and we aren't in for them I will be seriously pissed off.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yet to Routledge, however AJ is not as important as we have Cisse and next season if we got Aimar we would only be playing with one striker upfront.

I wouldnt be upset if we bought AJ but he would probably start as third choice striker.

I also think Cisse has been very good when he has come on and id like to see him have a full game before the end of the season. His link up play when he came on was very good.

Routledge reminds me a bit of pongo, good touch very nippy, whilst Andy J gave sami a fair run for his money at moments. If palace go down they could well price johnson out of a few options.

saturday proved we havent got a clue when we play 4 centre halfs, one a left wing and a 352 formation

Guest Moschops
Were fucking superb on Saturday. Johnson in particular, his display is probably one of the best individual displays I have seen from a striker this season against us. His work-rate was phenomenal, he has unbelieveable pace and always looked dangerous throughout.

Routledge was one of the few players this season who has given the excellent Finnan a few problems.

I posted on here a few weeks ago we should be looking at these players if Palace went down and basically some people laughed at me. It was the snobbiness in some people saying Routledge isn't good enough, we should be going for SWP and Joaquin. We have to be realistic and go for players with potential to be really good players at cheap prices, yeah lets go out and blow 20m odd on SWP when there is a 19 yr old Bosman available who would be a great signing for us.

Routledge is going on a bosman, Liverpool fan, would be cheap on wages and would be an ideal replacement for the lazy fat australian.

Johnson would be the ideal long term partner for Nando.

If these players are available in the summer and we aren't in for them I will be seriously pissed off.

I think if Saturday achieved anything, it would hopefully be shutting up the "Johnson = pub football" brigade. The thing is, he's been playing like that all season - and even when he's hit a barren patch in terms of goals, he's still always keeping defences busy (unlike Stewart or Phillips ever did, before the tiresome "one season wonder" stuff gets underway). I'd love to see us sign him.

I've said all season that Routledge should be a target if we want a cheaper alternative to SWP but now I have my doupts. I think he can be brilliant at times but far to often falls out of a game. I guess it could be because of his age, and that he will learn to fight it out for 90 min, but for now he seems to be a bit inefficient.

I guess SWP was like that too a couple of years back so he might come good.

I just get the feeling if Johnson was actually a good player and wasn't a one season wonder that it'd have been discovered before now. Some players only do well for a certain club who play a certain way with certain team mates and can't reproduce that when they move on. Guess time will tell.

I think if Saturday achieved anything, it would hopefully be shutting up the "Johnson = pub football" brigade. The thing is, he's been playing like that all season - and even when he's hit a barren patch in terms of goals, he's still always keeping defences busy (unlike Stewart or Phillips ever did, before the tiresome "one season wonder" stuff gets underway). I'd love to see us sign him.

He reminds me of Baros with Brains

Deffo take routledge but I just can't see it in Andy johnson at all. he reminds me of James Beattie!

Take away the pens and his goals ratio is average to poor. Plus, he'd be very expensive, purely because he is English. He's had one good season and for the money they'd want for him he's just not worth the risk imo.

Was thinking the same about both. Johnson's pace is sensational...hard to believe he was a make-weight + £4m in a deal to sign Clinton Morrison.

That goal was fantastically taken too.

Proven Premiership striker. Wouldn't cost the earth. Why not?

I just get the feeling if Johnson was actually a good player and wasn't a one season wonder that it'd have been discovered before now. Some players only do well for a certain club who play a certain way with certain team mates and can't reproduce that when they move on. Guess time will tell.

Exactly. If he was some Johnny Foreigner then you'd be looking at £3m or something and it would be worth the risk. But you can bet your arse that you;d have to pay £8n or something for him.

no ta.

Was thinking the same about both. Johnson's pace is sensational...hard to believe he was a make-weight + £4m in a deal to sign Clinton Morrison.

He WOULD cost the earth. He's English which means you have to pay triple the odds.

He was a good player last season as well.

Similar to that Mintal of Nurnberg who I think is the top scorer in Germany and was able to bring that form with him from the second division, another player i am sure were looking at.

the great thing is i dont think we will be short of new blood even if the top clubs wont sell us there best players, im thinking of Valencia and Deportivo here.

Whilst we are naming players can I just mention that Jankulovski from Udinese is apparently on the move and is rumoured to be a hot target for Milan at a price of about £7m.

Can play left-back or left-mid and is a great player. Whether he is the typical winger that we would need or not is debatable. If he goes to Milan he will become a massive success. You don't get into the Stu Monty Euro 2004 select XI without having a bit of class ;)

And which hole did Maniche fall down? I've heard nothing of him all year...then again he still plays in portugal doesn't he so that's hardly a surprise.

Whilst we are naming players can I just mention that Jankulovski from Udinese is apparently on the move and is rumoured to be a hot target for Milan at a price of about £7m.

Can play left-back or left-mid and is a great player. Whether he is the typical winger that we would need or not is debatable. If he goes to Milan he will become a massive success. You don't get into the Stu Monty Euro 2004 select XI without having a bit of class ;)

He's class on FM too.

How was Michael Hughes?

Always thought he was a decent player and just wondered how he played on saturday?

He was absolutely fantastic and on a par with Johnson for motm to me. Their fans love him. You wouldn't think he was near mid 30's the way he was getting up and down the pitch.

Guest Moschops
Deffo take routledge but I just can't see it in Andy johnson at all. he reminds me of James Beattie!

Take away the pens and his goals ratio is average to poor. Plus, he'd be very expensive, purely because he is English. He's had one good season and for the money they'd want for him he's just not worth the risk imo.

The same argument last heard to explain why we shouldn't sign Wright-Phillips last summer.

Given the comic extravaganzas that have been our penalties ever since Gary Mac moved on, I'm also personally not convinced we should be so dismissive of a player who can actually put the ball in the net from the spot. I know I can't wait for the CL final to go to pens knowing we've got Baros and Gerrard lined up to seize the day.

The same argument last heard to explain why we shouldn't sign Wright-Phillips last summer.

Given the comic extravaganzas that have been our penalties ever since Gary Mac moved on, I'm also personally not convinced we should be so dismissive of a player who can actually put the ball in the net from the spot. I know I can't wait for the CL final to go to pens knowing we've got Baros and Gerrard lined up to seize the day.

And Carra's 40 yard run-up don't forget!

This is football not American football. I don't see the need to pay out for a dedicated penalty taker.

Said it all season about AJ - he is class. Even £10 million would be a bargain. Michael Hughes was also immense - must be about 36 and outclassed our wonderful captain by some distance. At the same time though, the press have gone overboard with how well Palace played. They were Ok and that, but for the most part it was our system in the first half that let us down.