You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man Utd (A) - Sun 7th Apr 2024 (3:30pm)

Should have put more pressure on Maguire, he looks like he shits himself when in possession. If the simple sideway pass wasn't on he knocked it out of play.

The two games against these has had the commentary teams saying how goosed United where, we need to make that pay.

Disappointed but it's a tough ask to win every game and it's the same for the other two.

After the stress of yesterday, I understand why Klopp wants a break.

10 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

I'll have to be honest, after his performance for the first 83 minutes, my heart sank when Mac space Allister handed Mo the ball for the penalty.

Me too, but fair fucks to him great under pressure peno.

Simple really, you have to kill teams off when your on top or they can come back to bite you on the ass. Our front 3 where all off it in terms of finishing and incisiveness yesterday, you can afford to have one off it, but when they're all off then this is what happens. I think we were all sat there seeing the first half unfold thinking this is a familiar story against them. I doubt we will play an easier team to dissect all season, it was just taking one pass and we were running in to acres of space with 3v2's 4'3's. I think games like this show you the true calibre of the team and players and when it's a clutch game or season defining games and moments are key.  Unfortunately some of our new boys fell short in this test, Nunez and Soboz in particular where very very wasteful and some of the decision making was terrible. There where others also but these 2 players, this was their moment so to speak as Salah has done it before and although he was terrible, possibly our worst attacker, there is the ramadam thing and also he's just got back from injury and have to give some credit for the pen. I think City are favourites to win it looking at their fixtures, Arsenal and city might drop points but we are also likely too, so we've lost our buffer now and need perfection to be in with a chance. Can this team do it? I think a lot depends on how fast the returning players can come in and get up to speed we are going to need them as we have tricky games. Our only real hope is that city and or arsenal get distracted by the CL and the pressure will build every game from now until the end of the season. You often get one or 2 unexpected results or games where the favourites concede first, it's how ourselves city and Arsenal cope with these moments. There's another argument that we responded well to going 2-1 down yesterday, which I agree with. Even at 2-1, we kept plugging away and could have scored right at the end with Diaz or Elliot having chances. Let's keep going and try to win every game and see where it takes us. We are still ahead of city and if we can keep it that way then i believe arsenal will slip up at some point and will be back in control going into the final couple of games.

Was that player for us at the begininning of the season.

Like it or not Klopp has a specific way of working with midfielders that almost always has them curtailing their attacking side when they play for us.

Wiji, Curtis Jones and now Szob have all made that transition.

1 hour ago, Peter Cormack said:

We did win there I was there for two wins, Craig Johnston 1-0 John  Barnes 3-1 or was that in 1990?

I know I said in a previous post I forgot 82 yes it was 1990 

10 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Was that player for us at the begininning of the season.

Like it or not Klopp has a specific way of working with midfielders that almost always has them curtailing their attacking side when they play for us.

Wiji, Curtis Jones and now Szob have all made that transition.

His instructions don't seem to be working on Mac Allister.

12 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Tell you what that szoboslai has been a real let down. I missed the first few minutes so saw that chance he had. Absolute dud that guy.

Hes like a totally different player for Hungary.

It’s his first season in a much more high intensity league and he probably already has more goals and assists than our whole midfield last season.

He’s been a dud in our sorry three performances in this fixture, but he’s far from alone in that.

Szoboslai's still young and learning the game and we have very high expectations of him given his start to the season. I think his general pressing play and passing was ok yesterday, but some of his attacking play was criminal given the positions he found himself in. That was his moment though and he messed it up unfortunately.  He should have buried that chance that their keeper saved although it was a good save he should not have been given a chance to save it. Something that stood out yesterday was the weight of pass seemed off from all of our players in the final third.

2 hours ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

I'll have to be honest, after his performance for the first 83 minutes, my heart sank when Mac space Allister handed Mo the ball for the penalty.

Same here. I had a bad, bad feeling.

1 hour ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Tell you what that szoboslai has been a real let down. I missed the first few minutes so saw that chance he had. Absolute dud that guy.

Hes like a totally different player for Hungary.

He's been poor for a little while, but earlier in the season he was flying.

He's not a dud.

5 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

How far back are you going for your stats?  If you're counting the 90s and 00s, then the reason we didn't (often) win there is that they were very good and we were shite.

If you're just counting the 10s & 20s, they're still a top six side and someone like that should be winning at least half of their home games against anyone: our record there is not "consistently dire".

I took the starting point from when they got promoted back up in 75/76 (i.e. nearly over the last 50 years)

I would be absolutely amazed if our record at Old Trafford is not the worst of all grounds over that period of time and in recent times as well (possibly only being eclipsed by Eastlands due to the sports washers).

Do we win 50%+ of our games against United at Anfield?

18 hours ago, Moctezuma said:

We're their fucking Everton...

Since United returned to the top flight games at Old Trafford all competitions:

10 Liverpool Victories   17.86%
18 Draws   32.14%
28 Manchester United Victories    50.00%

That's not far off the roll of a dice and calling for a 6.

It would be good if the club could have a bit of a dive into this pattern alongside our results at Goodison and Stafford bridge as we may as well not play those fixtures and start off with a 6 to 7 point deduction each season.

1231388604_Grimreading.thumb.png.7f3ba37a3e49abc2fe872fa68798bee8.png

This was the original post, winning 17.86% of the time, absolutely ideal like.

In the most recent 7 wins there we've had there, the opposition have had red cards in 4 of the games (granted this is often due to frustration boiling over with only 2 having more of a direct relation on the outcome of the match) .

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Lat 10 PL games at OT is 2 wins 4 draws and 4 losses, that is not that bad. 10 points.

That excludes 3 cup games, of which we have lost 2 and drawn 1. Also while it's not bad if we say had that sort of record at White Hart Lane against Spurs who have been finishing in positions not that far off United's during the period of time people would exactly be beaming with joy?

I think there is far too much of an acceptance along the lines of it's a tough place to go, we never do well there etc. without there being a more systematic approach from the club looking into our preparations for the games themselves.

Klopp in my view seems to view United and Everton far more like any other league game (as can be seen from consistent rotation of the squad in advance of those fixtures), this seems to result in a degree of success at home but for whatever reason results in quite poor returns at Goodison and Old Trafford during a period where a lot of the time we have been demonstrably the better side.