You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

John Paul Kelly to return soon?

Maldini

http://ipswichtown.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=911&p=2&stid=8367904

Reports in Ireland claim Town are amongst a number of clubs interested in signing former Liverpool Academy midfielder John Paul Kelly. The Blues, Aston Villa, Celtic and former club Liverpool are all said to be keen to tempt Kelly into a return to the UK.

Kelly, a Republic of Ireland U19 team-mate of Town's Billy Clarke, left Anfield early in the season after becoming homesick. But the 17-year-old is thought ready to return to the UK with the Blues amongst the interested parties, although Liverpool look favourites to re-sign the player, who previously joined them in the summer of 2003.

The Blues already have a number of Irish youngsters at the Academy. Central defender Gerard Nash is on the way back from injury, while striker Billy Clarke, midfielders Owen Garvan and Cathal Lordan, goalkeeper Shane Supple and full-back Michael Synnott all played in last night's FA Youth Cup victory over Portsmouth.

Central defender Chris Casement, also in action against Pompey, is from north of the Irish border.

You heard anything Dave?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

bumped up cos it went unnoticed after last night

Last I heard was 'don't be surprised if he's back at the Academy after xmas'. That was about 2 weeks ago. Hopefully he's realised what he would be throwing away.

If he comes back, there's every chance he'd be playing in the Carling Cup next year the way Rafa is giving the lads a chance.

seems a bit weird to me, leaves us cos he's homesick and then ends up training with ipswich???

ermmm there's 8 Irish lads at ipswich,maybe that has something to do with it !! likewise Celtic and villa ..all have strong Irish youth connections.Thats gonna be a big help to a young lad sufferin from homesickness

Yes, a move fom liverpool (where you can be in dublin/cork wherever in about 2 hours) to the middle of fucking nowhere in east anglia?

I get what you're saying about having irish lads around him but it's just mental, it's not like there's a language barrier or something he'll be making new friends still??

Don't really care though, if he doesn't want to stick it out here I don't want him here.

ermmm there's 8 Irish lads at ipswich,maybe that has something to do with it !! likewise Celtic and villa ..all have strong Irish youth connections.Thats gonna be a big help to a young lad sufferin from homesickness

aye thats true ,I just don't know the exact number of irish contingents at all the acadamies ,my mistake.

just usually when your homesick ,you go home .

Yes, a move fom liverpool (where you can be in dublin/cork wherever in about 2 hours) to the middle of fucking nowhere in east anglia?

I get what you're saying about having irish lads around him but it's just mental, it's not like there's a language barrier or something he'll be making new friends still??

Don't really care though, if he doesn't want to stick it out here I don't want him here.

I agree , less than two hours away is not a huge deal but I Think its more than that tho -I've experienced it meself when I was living in Belgium .Just havin someone in the same digs as you , or being able to go to the pictures with someone , small things ,even goin for a pint , thats what you miss most of all and if theres 4 lads at ipswich that played in the same youth setups , come from same areas and have same accent , does alot for a persons self esteem .Same happened with me , I had 2 very good friends in my gaff, and they got me through the worse bits whe I was feelin down.

Personally I Think home sickness isn't the real reason he left , theres something about this sorry episode that doesn't meet the eye

It sounds like we've been screwed on this one.

Former Academy player John Paul Kelly is attracting interest from Ipswich, Aston Villa and Celtic.

Kelly was highly rated by the Academy staff but left the club a few months ago because he was feeling homesick. Liverpool held onto his registration in the hope he would return but finally cancelled his scholarship last week.

Kelly is now training with Ipswich and will be visiting Villa and Celtic in the new year.

His agent, Eamon McLoughlin said: "John Paul had his scholarship with Liverpool cancelled last week and he is looking for a move to a new club,"

"At the moment he is at Ipswich having a look round the club and they have always had a long-term interest in John Paul as they tried to get him before he went to Liverpool.

"He has a few options and he is set to go to Aston Villa and Celtic in the New Year to have a look at both clubs and have talks.

"John Paul is no rush for a move and is keeping his options open as he wants to find the right club where he can get a chance to make the breakthrough."