You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pochettino urges officials to not fall for the emotion surrounding Klopp farewell

TLW

image.jpeg

Mauricio Pochettino has looked to gain a psychological blow ahead of the Carabao Cup final by aiming to play the ‘officials ‘card’ and hoping the occasion is not decided by emotion.

The Chelsea manager is still clearly aggrieved by what he feels were wrong decisions as his team were convincingly beaten by Liverpool last month.

With Jurgen Klopp moving on at the end of the season, there has been a lot of articles written about the legacy of the German and what it will mean for Liverpool moving forward.

Pochettino was at pains to explain that this is in no way a criticism of Klopp, but more so decisions be judged fairly for both sides as ESPN reported.

" I think what we need to be sure is we are going to compete and be fair in every single decision. I think when we play against Liverpool in Liverpool, I think too many decisions that ... not one key decision was for us.

Two penalties were not given. Duels, 50-50, always for another colour. Always red. I want to be treated in a fair way. Of course, we are going to celebrate -- I am the first, I am going to say Liverpool is amazing, Klopp is one of the best coaches in the world.

"But I think after my last experience playing there, I think what I want in Wembley is to go there and no one feels the pressure. To play a game at the same level and the best will win, not to feel the pressure, people around or, you know? You understand what I mean.

Pochettino seemingly on a roll at this stage and channeling his inner Jose Mourinho kept emphasizing his point and was heading into somewhat dangerous territory.

image.jpeg

“It is nice. Liverpool is an amazing club. I love Klopp and the way that he is, is amazing. But of course, it is his last season here, you go to compete in the same way, both teams and to give or see the things for both clubs in the same way."

It was then that the Argentinian was asked whether there is a wide spread view among the Football community that people wanted Liverpool to win because of the German, something he was quick to refute.

“No. I don't say people want that, it is not to be part of the celebration. I would never say that, another part involved in the game, they want Liverpool to win.

"But the most important is to go and compete with the same view from different parts because we need to talk.

image.jpeg

“They were better than us of course but the first decision after five minutes, that was a clear penalty. In the second half, that was penalty on Nkunku. After you see the VAR that interfered in many situations and it is different or maybe similar and gives a penalty, why not?

"We are Chelsea, we need to go there, we need to compete with the same tools and of course, if they are better, well done, congratulate them. But, being fair in every single decision.

"The pressure is not about delivering the job for Klopp, no. The pressure is not to be part of the ... you know? I cannot talk more."

Maybe Mauricio hasn’t seen enough of Liverpool in his absence from English Football in the last few years.

The last thing Klopp or anyone associated with the club will be expecting is any favourable emotion coming their way from officials.

To the contrary, they more than anyone will be counting the days until Klopp's departure, such has been the fractious relationship.

Fair to say the Cup final won’t be decided by decisions, moreso acts of individual quality just like it was at Anfield at the end of January.

View full article

46 minutes ago, Pete said:

Has this tit seen how our games are refereed?  

He's just adding to the pressure on the ref for the day. He's a cheeky cunt, but if I recall correctly, klopp used similar words prior to the Paris European cup final referring back to the Kyiv one. 

Who is the ref? 

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He's just adding to the pressure on the ref for the day. He's a cheeky cunt, but if I recall correctly, klopp used similar words prior to the Paris European cup final referring back to the Kyiv one. 

Who is the ref? 

A. Cunt?

• Upvote 1

Seems it's kavanagh, who despite being a manc, I think is probably the best out there at the moment. Brooks on VAR - hasn't he fucked us a few times? 

Referee: Chris Kavanagh

Assistant Referees: Mark Scholes and James Mainwaring

Fourth Official: Tim Robinson

Reserve Assistant Referee: Wade Smith

VAR: John Brooks

AVAR: Marc Perry

He should be charged for those comments. 

The Gallagher incident was never a penalty. The Nkunku incident could have been given, his absolute shit house reaction to it probably turned the officials against it - wasn’t it 3-0 at the time anyway?

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Seems it's kavanagh, who despite being a manc, I think is probably the best out there at the moment. Brooks on VAR - hasn't he fucked us a few times? 

Referee: Chris Kavanagh

Assistant Referees: Paul Scholes and Cpt Mainwaring

Fourth Official: Tim Robinson

Reserve Assistant Referee: Wade Smith

VAR: John Brooks

AVAR: Manc Perry

Fixed

It's funny how Chelsea proved you can't buy a name and you can't buy a rep. They sort of came and went, but I don't consider them a scalp or pay them any mind whatsoever. I can't imagine fans of foreign clubs ever getting excited about drawing them.

If Milan or Liverpool or Bayern were relegated they'd still be Milan, Liverpool and Bayern.

Chelsea are Wimbledon in pricey loafers. They gatecrashed for a time then were cast back into the fires of Mount Doom from whence they came.

• Upvote 3