You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Xabi Alonso: Welcome back to Anfield.

Elite

Just now, Nelly-Szoboszlai said:

Other not top level managers get plaudits too. That alone doesn’t make them good enough for the Liverpool job.

What are the nature of these plaudits? That they played some nice football, gave us a tough game, but we still beat them?

It’s partly down to football etiquette too. Managers and players are freer with praise than criticism.

I mean Dyche was hardly going to come out and say he was shite and that we constantly targeted this or that weakness in his set up when Everton beat them 1-5. Nor was rookie coach De Rossi when Roma ticked them 4-0. Nor Emery when Villa beat them 6-1. Nor Moyes when he played rope-a-dope when West Ham sat off them and cut through them on the counter to win 1-3 at the Amex. 

And, while I’m not sure that you’re trying to do this anyway, it’ll take more than a few words of praise from others in the game to convince me that a manager who has won some obscure cup with Foggia and the Ukrainian Super Cup with Shakhtar will ever be good enough to manage a club who’s current manager has raised the bar to a level where challenging for titles is expected. 

The nature being that other than Guardiola, Klopp and maybe Bielsa, he is probably the most admired manager by his peers in the sport right now.

9 minutes ago, Nelly-Szoboszlai said:

Other not top level managers get plaudits too. That alone doesn’t make them good enough for the Liverpool job.

What are the nature of these plaudits? That they played some nice football, gave us a tough game, but we still beat them?

It’s partly down to football etiquette too. Managers and players are freer with praise than criticism.

I mean Dyche was hardly going to come out and say he was shite and that we constantly targeted this or that weakness in his set up when Everton beat them 1-5. Nor was rookie coach De Rossi when Roma tonked them 4-0. Nor Emery when Villa beat them 6-1. Nor Moyes when he played rope-a-dope when West Ham sat off them and cut through them on the counter to win 1-3 at the Amex. 

And, while I’m not sure that you’re trying to do this anyway, it’ll take more than a few words of praise from others in the game to convince me that a manager who has won some obscure cup with Foggia and the Ukrainian Super Cup with Shakhtar will ever be good enough to manage a club who’s current manager has raised the bar to a level where challenging for titles is expected. 

So who? 3 or possibly 4 massive jobs to be filled. If Alonso is a no, I can't think of one stand out manager, nevemind 3 or 4.

12 minutes ago, Trumo said:

The BBC and Sky are going with the 'Xabi staying at Leverkusen' angle, and the only person they are quoting is Bayern's Uli Hoeness, who is one of those who talks way too much.

Exactly.

Made exactly same point earlier.

I imagine theres a fair bit of bollocks in these videos but here are some tactical bits on Amorim. I'd imagine we will see more in the next few days

Just now, Megadrive Man said:

David Ornstein is reporting that he's not coming here too.

They all are and it broke at the same time from all of them. It's obvious they have all been briefed by the club that he isn't joining. 

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

They all are and it broke at the same time from all of them. It's obvious they have all been briefed by the club that he isn't joining. 

They are all quoting the same story which comes from that gobshite at Bayern Munich and his latest shite.

There isn't a single shred of anything from us as a club or Alonso or Leverkusen...just Bayern stirring the shite.

But here we are it is being spreading as gospel.

Look at the bbc article for example - it leads with us looking elsewhere then only quotes that gobshite at Bayern Munich.

Here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68690445

1 minute ago, an tha said:

They are all quoting the same story which comes from that gobshite at Bayern Munich and his latest shite.

There isn't a single shred of anything from us as a club or Alonso or Leverkusen...just Bayern stirring the shite.

But here we are it is being spreading as gospel.

Look at the bbc article for example - it leads with us looking elsewhere then only quotes that gobshite at Bayern Munich.

Here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68690445

All week the talk of looking at Almorim has got louder, and know today all the major journo around the club and Ornstein have within minutes come out saying we are looking elsehwere and that Alonso is staying at Leverkusen till next season, when the Madrid job will be open. Honestly i think its pure head in the sand that its all Bayern talk and he still might join. I'd love to be wrong but i doubt everyone of them would have jumped to write the article just because Bayern have spoke out again

Why would we as a club want this splashed all over news and to be a distraction right now.

Bayern want that and it looks like that is what they are getting.

There is absolutely no reason for us to be telling anyone our plans here.

8 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I'd love to be wrong but i doubt everyone of them would have jumped to write the article just because Bayern have spoke out again

The BBC reported this before them and as have shown you that story is based on Bayern Munich prseidents comments - I haven't seen a single subsequent report that has any further substantial or different info.

They are all just repeating same stuff and adding vague what read to me as guesses and speculation.

I may be wrong too - but i just don't buy this.

1 hour ago, Trumo said:

The BBC and Sky are going with the 'Xabi staying at Leverkusen' angle, and the only person they are quoting is Bayern's Uli Hoeness, who is one of those who talks way too much.

All of the beat writers (Bascombe, Joyce, TIA, etc.) covering Liverpool went with it at the same time.

That only means one thing: they’ve been briefed by the club he’s either unavailable this summer and they have to move on to other targets or he’s not interested in coming at the moment. 

Same thing happened with Bellingham. 

It has very little to do with what the Bayern fella has said. 

• Upvote 5