You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Credit scores

Anyone have a handle on how this this is calculated? Just went to buy my kid a motor and was knocked back. I then paid off a load of plastic and stuck the car on a card. I owe noone anything, have a good bit stashed but just do not get it. It is a strange thing. What else do they look into?

Lenders look positively at people who don't back out of forum straighteners.

Fight Turdseye and you might get approved.

Otherwise, you need to have stuff on credit and pay it off to build up a reliable history.

Aren't there websites like clearscore that show you your credit rating and give you a bit of guidance? Also, if you haven't borrowed much, then you won't have a history proving you can pay it back. 

Moneysavingexpert.com will probably have some info on this as well

1 hour ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Anyone have a handle on how this this is calculated? Just went to buy my kid a motor and was knocked back. I then paid off a load of plastic and stuck the car on a card. I owe noone anything, have a good bit stashed but just do not get it. It is a strange thing. What else do they look into?

Pay for your credit report, it's only about £3, sometimes there's stuff on there that's not yours, they 'link' you to other people's credit histories without asking you sometimes. 

22 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Aren't there websites like clearscore that show you your credit rating and give you a bit of guidance? Also, if you haven't borrowed much, then you won't have a history proving you can pay it back. 

Moneysavingexpert.com will probably have some info on this as well

Yeah, Clear Score, Credit Karma and MSE all offer free accounts. Thing is, the credit score they give you is just an arbitrary figure, the accounts are mainly to flog you credit cards and loans for commission. They're useful to check all your accounts are in order and at least the scores they give you are relative, but the company you apply to for credit will have their own scoring system which will likely use different factors. The only time they're of much use is if you're applying for a mortgage or re-mortgage- about six months beforehand, you should make sure that everything's in order, as that's a bit more serious than cards or loans.

As an illustration of how daft credit scoring can be- when it looked like things could get really bad at the start of the pandemic, I increased the limit on my credit cards just in case I needed to use them. My score went down as I'd applied for extra credit. After a few months, my score went back up as I hadn't used that extra credit. Later still, the score went back down, because I had no credit balance on the cards.

1 hour ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Siri, what is a humble brag?

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

What the fuck is a Burt Reynolds pub? 

Sick of these chains. Bring back free hold independent places 

It's a pub where you are still allowed cigarettes and fruit machines inside. 

Smokey and the one armed bandits.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3