You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

BUY SOME FUCKING PLAYERS

BeefStroganoff

How many players, how many for each position to sufficently cover for injuries, how does what people want tally with squad registration rules home and abroad with the current squad and the next season or two in mind. 

Where are you willing to make sacrifices and where are your non-negotiables?

We need all the players is the easy bit, rationalising the requirements for that is more difficult.

8 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Matip is cooked, so there's no excuse for not getting his replacement in now, none whatsoever. 

This i do think is one spot we should get ahead on in January, Matip wont play again, deregister him and get a suitable replacement done in January before every potential replacements price triples in summer because teams know we are desperate.

Also think Thiagos replacement should be done in January, if we think we can get someone in that can take his role then do so and either tell him to hop on off to Barcelona or wherever will take him at that point, no point keeping him round for the few games he might manage before his contracts up.

50 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

We'll do the thing Klopp always says, we won't buy players for the next 5 weeks we'll buy them for the next 5 years, we'll stick to the plan as much as possible and if theirs an opportunity, or need, to accelerate the plan we will (like Gakpo and Diaz).

Be nice if can buy players for the next 5 years at some point in the next 5 weeks. We might actually be in danger of winning the league if we do that. 

Cheers Santa Klopp

56 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

We'll do the thing Klopp always says, we won't buy players for the next 5 weeks we'll buy them for the next 5 years, we'll stick to the plan as much as possible and if theirs an opportunity, or need, to accelerate the plan we will (like Gakpo and Diaz).

Sums our transfer policy up pretty well this. When it comes to the accelleration part, it seems to me opportunity is a bit more important than need, but both definately play a part. 

Like it or not, but this is the way we operate, and we definately wont be making any big transfers because of a broken collar bone,

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

With the league like it is its mad not to be ambitious sooner. We can win this league.

20 minutes ago, Tenfolder said:

This i do think is one spot we should get ahead on in January, Matip wont play again, deregister him and get a suitable replacement done in January before every potential replacements price triples in summer because teams know we are desperate.

Also think Thiagos replacement should be done in January, if we think we can get someone in that can take his role then do so and either tell him to hop on off to Barcelona or wherever will take him at that point, no point keeping him round for the few games he might manage before his contracts up.

This goes back to my other post about pitching your expectations in line with the realities of squad management.

In order to do both then currently one can be non-homegrown and the other needs to either be homegrown or qualify as U21 for this season.

The obvious solution from a fan view point is to just unregister one of Adrian, Thiago or Matip to free up space, Klopp isn't going to do that unless one of Matip or Thiago are categorically ruled out for the rest of the season and even then they need to have one eye on the future because Gravenberch no longer qualifies as U21 and becomes Non-Homegrown for the 2024 season.

With Thiago likely to be back in the new year It would also mean unregistering Doak plus one, possibly two others from the UEFA cup squad in order to accommodate Thiago plus two new players or else we're signing players on the proviso they're unlikely to play in Europe this season.

None of those issues are insurmountable but they all have to be considered, and weighed against how Klopp likes to do things as well as future plans.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

With the league like it is its mad not to be ambitious sooner. We can win this league.

Depends on what you're giving up on a chance.

If your no.1 defensive target is significantly better than the no.2 target but the second player is obtainable in January and the better player isn't are you better signing the lesser target for a marginal increase in the chance of winning the league or better waiting for the far better player?

Is a Lloyd Kelly now better than an Inacio or Hincapie in the summer for example.

Hincapie isn’t get much of a game this season. Whether that’s form or trouble coming back from that injury I don’t know. Lloyd Kelly doesn’t do anything Gomez doesn’t already offer us. Inacio has the hallmarks of one we should have picked up when cheap but end up missing the boat due to competition and increased price tag. Not seen much Lisbon or Benfica this year but Inacio and the lad in midfield for Benfica look like the next two big exports and we have good working relationships with both clubs. I’d like it if we could find some way to keep Jota fit to as he’s the only other forward looking like he has a goal in him.

6 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Hincapie isn’t get much of a game this season. Whether that’s form or trouble coming back from that injury I don’t know. Lloyd Kelly doesn’t do anything Gomez doesn’t already offer us. Inacio has the hallmarks of one we should have picked up when cheap but end up missing the boat due to competition and increased price tag. Not seen much Lisbon or Benfica this year but Inacio and the lad in midfield for Benfica look like the next two big exports and we have good working relationships with both clubs. I’d like it if we could find some way to keep Jota fit to as he’s the only other forward looking like he has a goal in him.

The names are largely irrelevant, they were just three players tenuously linked who all play the same position and could play a broadly similar role with differing reputations and appeal for the purposes of the example.

33 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Depends on what you're giving up on a chance.

If your no.1 defensive target is significantly better than the no.2 target but the second player is obtainable in January and the better player isn't are you better signing the lesser target for a marginal increase in the chance of winning the league or better waiting for the far better player?

Is a Lloyd Kelly now better than an Inacio or Hincapie in the summer for example.

People are paid to give us options. We constantly go windows not doing enough, often not doing anything at all and in the mean time another season goes by, we only get a finite amount of time. Its allowed to sell players, we may not get first choice all the time few clubs do but if players aren't working selling them is an option. Upgrade on what we have not on who we hypothetically can have in the future. Weve laid down plans before for players who have gone elsewhere. 

I think we are desperate for a forward now, the more I watch us, Jota is just never available and the ultimate purple patch player, Diaz looks ineffective maybe needs a holiday and a Nunez couldn't hit a cow on the arse with a banjo. It feels like Klopp hasnt got a single clue what to do with Gakpo it feels like we bought him because he was cheap for his profile and the lad will never find his feet if hes never given a real role. Salah is also going away for the African nations and Endo for the Asian cup.

We can achieve all we want to achieve this season it's very much in our grasp as much as City or Arsenals. All this said I still think its absolutely possible this all clicks with how it is and our injuries taper out and its all good. Why not improve our chances though when the opportunity arises.

I guess fans realise that injured players still get paid? And have to be used again when they get all better? So while it's hugely frustrating that so many do get injured, it's not like getting an extra pack of loo paper over the festive season. It's quite expensive 'just buying some fucking players'. Sometimes it's as if reality stops and the age of everyone shrinks to about ten.

1 hour ago, Aventus said:

Looks like Gomez could be our most valuable player for the immediate future, things will fall apart very quickly if he picks up an injury 

We are effectively down to 3 centre halves for the immediate future as Gomez surely becomes our left back.

His versatility is massive for us and frankly without it we'd be in all sorts of trouble at the back now.

I was thinking we might go to a back 3 to deal with the left back problem - but we haven't really got enough midfielders to do that either comfortably.

We really can't handle any more injuries at present - we are stretched about as far as we can cope with.

43 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

I guess fans realise that injured players still get paid? And have to be used again when they get all better? So while it's hugely frustrating that so many do get injured, it's not like getting an extra pack of loo paper over the festive season. It's quite expensive 'just buying some fucking players'. Sometimes it's as if reality stops and the age of everyone shrinks to about ten.

Aye, some loans would make sense but only if the right quality is available.

2 hours ago, Strontium said:

Matip is cooked, so there's no excuse for not getting his replacement in now, none whatsoever. 

Well aside from they'd cost money of course. Those lower energy rates haven't filtered through to bills yet. 

2 hours ago, Aventus said:

Looks like Gomez could be our most valuable player for the immediate future, things will fall apart very quickly if he picks up an injury 

But you know he will pick up an injury. I can't think of a season since he's been here where he hasn't been out for a decent spell. 

40 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

Matip will never play for us again. He has 6 months worth of wages to go. Anything else his replacement costs is purely just brought forward by 6 months. We've known the situation for some time, so it shouldn't come as a surprise to us, he needs replacing anyway. 

Thiago is yet to kick a ball for us this season and there's nothing to say he will again. Just like the matip replacement, we can easily just draw that forward from the summer. 

Even if both players are superstars on 200k week, which they won't be, that cost would be just 10m. Plus 6 months amortisation for both. You can throw a blanket over the top 5 in the table, we should be investing just to ensure we make top 4, never mind winning the league. In 20/21 we were top of the league in December and barely scraped 4th in the end because of those tight fucks in Boston ignoring an injury crisis. 

They need to just get the fucking job done. 

7 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

We need a forward who is actually clinical, personally I'd love Ivan Toney but I don't think the club would like the price. 

It’s been a long time since we’ve had a player who I actively disliked. I’d hate us to sign Toney.