You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brighton (A) - Sun 8th Oct 2023 (2:00pm)

Trumo

Work-rate. Incisiveness. Nous.

I don't ask for much.

This is how it's gonna be. Build from the ground up.

Another Sunday 2:00pm kick-off. Them's the breaks when you're in the Europa League I guess. Hopefully it is miles better than recent trips to the Amex. We beat them 2 seasons ago when Graham Potter was the manager. Back then they were a well-coached side that struggled to put the ball in the back of the net. Under De Zerbi they've looked far more dangerous in attack, and in recent years they've managed to introduce unheard-of players who fit like a glove and look like absolute bargains.

Last season's game was one of our worst ever performances, never mind under Jurgen. We were awful and deservedly got beat 3-0 thank to a Solly March double and a goal by Danny Welbeckcrap. Dreadful defending, non-existent midfield and impotent attack. Shite. We were only marginally better in the FA Cup 4th round tie, but still lost that.

As I said before, Brighton and De Zerbi have made a habit of getting a tune out of unheralded players. They've also added a heralded player to the squad in Big Game James, and his experience is important as they navigate European football for the first time. They are having to juggle the weekday-weekend demands of the Europa League and Premier League, and they have struggled a little with it. So much so that Villa absolutely Everton'd them last time out. Mitoma is a livewire, Ferguson is becoming a very good player, and players like March, Gros and Lallana can cause a lot of problems if you let them. They spent a lot of money on Joao Pedro from Watford and he's been scoring a few for them, mostly from the penalty spot by the looks of things.

For us, Baj and Thiago are still out injured. Cody is likely to miss out despite the positive noises from Jurgen in his latest presser. Curtis and Diogo miss out through suspension. Other than that, we have Trent available having got a run out and the captain's armband in midweek, and Grav is showing signs of encouragement. He looks like the player internet virgins believes Pogba to be, without the Instagram haircut and pose-happy uselessness. I feel the players have a chip on their shoulder after last weekend, and I'm sure they also want to start running the rule over Brighton once more. It will need the utmost in concentration, attitude and application. Go out there, grab the 3 points and go into the international break in a better frame of mind than after the Spurs game. Get it done!

• Upvote 7

Away at these last season was an absolute embarrassment.

The good news is not one of those who started in midfield that day for us will be playing tomorrow.

Fabinho, Henderson, Oxlade and Thiago.

I'd expect to see us improved as a result....

They are of course much changed too - with two very notable players from that day no longer in their midfield.....one of course should be in ours!

Still a tough game even given their recent form - it must be harder for them now with europe and having to play, recover, play and recover in a week as opposed to play and then have a week to prepare thoroughly for this game.

I'd fancy us to win this, especially with the shite from last week hopefully acting as a real fuel for us...always horrible if lose of course and especially after a previous loss and before shite break - so hopefully we won't.

Pretty sickening that fucking spurs will be 4 points clear of us at the top of the table 24 hours before we play this. As it stands if our back 4 play like cunts against Brighton we could be 6th heading into the international shitfest. 

PGMOL in action. 

"Well done boys, good process."

7 hours ago, bossy said:

I think this is going to be a lot more difficult than some think. I’ll be happy with a spawny win of any description but would prefer a display of dazzling, incisive footy. Come on you mighty Red Men!

They’ll be stung from last week’s thrashing and will come out all guns blazing. We need to ride the storm, then pick them off on the break.

Take that anger and frustration from Spurs and show everybody we mean fucking business the rest of the season. 

I think I’d keep Gomez at RB. He’s played well & I still have nightmares from Mitoma v TAA last season. I think I’d play TAA in midfield. The rest as you’d expect.

• Upvote 1

Just don't play into their hands, we know they are fairly press resistant usually. Szobozlai and please Mac Allister as an 8 not a 6. If Nunez can hit that giant rectangle when he's with 10 yards of it that would help too. Beat these before this international shite and it sets up the next stage of the season.

Endo's first proper test, I guess. In terms of warming to him, it would help if he didn't look as though he was finding everything deperately unpleasant, both on and off the pitch, but I suppose that's just his 'professional' expression. I really hope this is the game he plays like all the coaches said he could play.