You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

I think doucoure's excellent on the defensive side of things, but not sure how he'd deal with the opponent's press when we have a lot of the ball, teams would be looking to trap him.

Would like to bring him in but he's very much one of the "we'd need one more" options.

56 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

This guy?!

Jesus. Be careful what you wish for. If i'd never seen him play before i'd say he is shit and will never make it in the premier league. He isnt a Liverpool standard player, not in a million years.

At this point we are better off trying to buy another type of midfielder and trying to turn him into a DM. Honestly. Buy Kone or Gravenberch (or another type who has clear talent) and try and mould them into the role. Atleast they have ability. We can't be signing shite like this just because we are desperate, we would go backwards by having him in the squad and first 11. 

You can't just get bodies in the door for the sake of it

He is Palace s best player.

53 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

That 5 year limit was brought in by UEFA. And Chelsea are not in any of their competitions this season. The Premier League hasn't brought in the 5 year limit yet, they've just started considering it.

Edit - Babbs already issued a retraction of his earlier post. Sorry Babbs.

Do you know what happens with this if they qualify for europe for next season with this? Do they look at current contracts or just from the point you qualify for europe?

3 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Maybe before your time but we have form West Hams best player Julian Dicks drafted in to save Souness's managerial career

First signing I remember was being at Jimmy Carters debut. 

They were Benitez’s actual words that summer “We’ve signed the best player from Middlesbrough and Chile”.

Seeing a lot of "we've been screwed over by agents" in the last few pages. 

BE FUCKING SAVVIER. 

Don't remember us being continually embarrassed by their games before the behind the scenes infrastructure fell apart and we swapped our key blokes for fucking Gru from Despicable Me.

Fucking amateur hour.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

His press resistance doesn’t look wonderful, Palace don’t keep the ball for long enough for that to matter to them though. Would be a very different story for us.

He was progressive and good on the ball when he was at Lens. There are loads of resources which confirms this.

He then played under two managers in Vieira and Hodgson who are as pragmatic as it gets. I dont think people know this in England because he was seen as having done a good job at Palace, but Vieira in France is seen as one of the most boring, defensive coaches out there. There is a decent possibility, that as good as he has been at Palace, and he has been very good, he was their player of the year and the fans love him, he would be even better at a big club that tries to play football. 

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He was progressive and good on the ball when he was at Lens. There are loads of resources which confirms this.

He then played under two managers in Vieira and Hodgson who are as pragmatic as it gets. I dont think people know this in England because he was seen as having done a good job at Palace, but Vieira in France is seen as one of the most boring, defensive coaches out there. There is a decent possibility, that as good as he has been at Palace, and he has been very good, he was their player of the year and the fans love him, he would be even better at a big club that tries to play football. 

On 21/07/2023 at 15:03, TD_LFC said:

Context is everything, and the job a player is asked to do at one team isn't necessarily representative of what he can and can't do.

No doubt people have looked at his numbers at Palace and made the assumption that he's good defensively and not much of a passer of the ball which would tend to be backed up by this

image.png.a9c5492ee63099eb5505ab5bf65bfe63.png

But by comparison, when given more freedom to be more involved in the passing game at Lens the season before his numbers were significantly better and he was in the top 10 for chance creation in Ligue 1.

image.png.bdcac9d2636ad6b3ad7db38293bb766c.png

Level of competition obviously matters but so does what you're tasked with doing and at Palace his job was to recycle the ball for the likes of Oliseh and Eze.

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Blows my mind there are people who watch enough football to know stuff like this when it's not their full time job.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Chris said:

Seeing a lot of "we've been screwed over by agents" in the last few pages. 

BE FUCKING SAVVIER. 

Don't remember us being continually embarrassed by their games before the behind the scenes infrastructure fell apart and we swapped our key blokes for fucking Gru from Despicable Me.

Fucking amateur hour.

Agreed.

3 minutes ago, Chris said:

Blows my mind there are people who watch enough football to know stuff like this when it's not their full time job.

I mostly watch Ligue 1 and the Premier League these days in terms of leagues, that's it.

But I was mostly referring to the fact that Doucoure being better than he looks is a point that a lot of people have made already.

15 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I mostly watch Ligue 1 and the Premier League these days in terms of leagues, that's it.

But I was mostly referring to the fact that Doucoure being better than he looks is a point that a lot of people have made already.

Where did he feature on the Young Studs list? The definitive resource when it comes to scouting from the donkey eating surrender monkeys.

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

Anyway, not even entertaining the possibility of him signing (or that he's signed) until he's leant, been at the club for more than 7 days and played at least two games.

Exactly, also anyone who starts a “welcome to” before the contracts are signed should be negged to oblivion.