You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

Carra is spot on about Caicedo - the 3rd highest revenue generating club in the world are not at the races for a player who is pretty much the perfect profile for the biggest hole they have in their squad.

Laughable.

Evert top 10 club in the league have enquired about him. Including us. 

He only wants Chelsea and the money they’ve offered him is ‘eye watering’. 

27 minutes ago, Moo said:

Since when? He's just a gobshite. I'm sure he's been consistently crying about how well run we (supposedly) are, and to me it's been the trigger for his irrational rants against the Glazers.

He’s made plenty of references to Klopp having us punching above our weight and FSG not putting money in for at least the last couple of years.

It’s not rocket science to anyone who is remotely perceptive, but we still have plenty of supporters who think they’re doing a bang-up job and that running us like a provincial club despite having the third highest turnover in world football is ‘sensible’.

13 minutes ago, an tha said:

Carra is spot on about Caicedo - the 3rd highest revenue generating club in the world are not at the races for a player who is pretty much the perfect profile for the biggest hole they have in their squad.

Laughable.

The 3rd bid 45m including add ons is embarrassing. They want 50m it has always been the case. Offer the money or walk away.

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

Maybe, yes. 

But at the same time Caceido quite recently declared his ultimate destination to be Real Madrid, so perhaps maybe we're reluctant to spend big on him only to lose him in 18-24 months. 

I'm hoping that we're still hanging in there for Valverde.  If Mbappe goes to Madrid I just don't see Tchouameni being the one to leave.  They are France team-mates, presumably friends, presumably they want to play together at club level too.  

Watching the game tonight, was very impressed with the sheer workrate and intelligence of Szoboszlai and MacAllister. This might negate the need for 2 DMs, for now.  But I'm increasingly worried about how Trent goes missing for large periods in this new formation. 

5 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

I love when people say “just pay the money” like it’s a fiver. It’s £4m. Even if LFC end up getting this done for £49m they’d have saved £1m. ONE MILLION POUNDS. People have totally lost sight of the value of money in this insane transfer business

Blame the game, not the fans. 

One thing I've noticed about Trent is he always seems to be spectacularly bad in pre-season games. His performance vs Napoli at Murrayfield suggested he was off his nut on jellies.

It's possible some of us are reading too much into these glorified training sessions.

7 minutes ago, Mook said:

One thing I've noticed about Trent is he always seems to be spectacularly bad in pre-season games. His performance vs Napoli at Murrayfield suggested he was off his nut on jellies.

It's possible some of us are reading too much into these glorified training sessions.

Problem is he carried that form into last season.

• Upvote 1

We genuinely couldn't have handled this Lavia transfer much worse. Southampton know that they have got us by the balls.

It's a lose lose situation for us now, we either walk away having completely wasted our time and have to try and find another player, or we just end up paying exactly what Southampton want.

54 minutes ago, an tha said:

Laughable.

It's actually a shockingly naive point by Carragher, who you would think would know better given how in the business he is now.

Caicedo has clearly accepted to only join Chelsea. If there's no other club in the race, and there isn't, it's because of that. If we haven't positioned ourselves on Caicedo months ago, there's no chance we'll do it now.

36 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Maybe, yes. 

But at the same time Caceido quite recently declared his ultimate destination to be Real Madrid, so perhaps maybe we're reluctant to spend big on him only to lose him in 18-24 months. 

I'm hoping that we're still hanging in there for Valverde.  If Mbappe goes to Madrid I just don't see Tchouameni being the one to leave.  They are France team-mates, presumably friends, presumably they want to play together at club level too.  

Watching the game tonight, was very impressed with the sheer workrate and intelligence of Szoboszlai and MacAllister. This might negate the need for 2 DMs, for now.  But I'm increasingly worried about how Trent goes missing for large periods in this new formation. 

Looks like we are gonna abandon it until we have the right players....

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's actually a shockingly naive point by Carragher, who you would think would know better given how in the business he is now.

Caicedo has clearly accepted to only join Chelsea. If there's no other club in the race, and there isn't, it's because of that. If we haven't positioned ourselves on Caicedo months ago, there's no chance we'll do it now.

It's surely more about not being in 'months ago' our need has been very clear for a good while.

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

It's surely more about not being in 'months ago' our need has been very clear for a good while.

He's asking in the tweet why we aren't in for him now, after the Hendo and Fab money.

He obviously would have been a good target, everyone can agree. I think him asking why we aren't in for him at this point is a bit of an amateurish question.

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's asking in the tweet why we aren't in for him now, after the Hendo and Fab money.

He obviously would have been a good target, everyone can agree. I think him asking why we aren't in for him at this point is a bit of an amateurish question.

Things change - a club of our stature should be capable of turning the heads of most players.

You state Caicedo wants Chelsea and I don't doubt that is case as things have stood - but if we made a play for him maybe he'd see things differently - we lose nothing at all by trying....it is fact we are not even in the conversation and let's be honest it is because we for some reason 'can't compete on the asking price front' that we aren't, that is for a club of our wealth, stature and supposed ambition that feels wrong  - It certainly does for my money and quite a few other peoples too.

This lad could very well be a game changer and we are too 'skint' to be in the picture.

2 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Months ago we were baulking at paying £100m for a player we’d chased for years and spent years saving up for. There’s no chance we are getting involved in Caicedo although whether we should have is a different question.

We've raised an unexpected 50m+ from sales since then 

14 minutes ago, an tha said:

Things change - a club of our stature should be capable of turning the heads of most players.

You state Caicedo wants Chelsea and I don't doubt that is case as things have stood - but if we made a play for him maybe he'd see things differently - we lose nothing at all by trying....it is fact we are not even in the conversation and let's be honest it is because we for some reason 'can't compete on the asking price front' that we aren't, that is for a club of our wealth, stature and supposed ambition that feels wrong  - It certainly does for my money and quite a few other peoples too.

This lad could very well be a game changer and we are too 'skint' to be in the picture.

That's just not how transfers work, or how competent teams do transfers, which is why Carra is coming across as a bit of a dolt. You don't just "make a play" out of the blue or because you need to all of a sudden. If we weren't interested in Caicedo for a long time, and it doesn't seem like we ever were, at least publicly, which is all we can go by, we simply aren't going to start now.

It's like the Bellingham sweepstakes. Why did you never hear Arsenal might be in for him this summer? They could have "made a play", they finished 2nd, they have money, they show #ambition, they needed a midfielder. It's because they clearly never made the groundwork. We have never publicly made groundwork for Caicedo. For whatever reason. His price, we don't rate him that much, whatever. Could be anything.

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

That's just not how transfers work, or how competent teams do transfers, which is why Carra is coming across as a bit of a dolt. You don't just "make a play" out of the blue or because you need to all of a sudden. If we weren't interested in Caicedo for a long time, and it doesn't seem like we ever were, at least publicly, which is all we can go by, we simply aren't going to start now.

It's like the Bellingham sweepstakes. Why did you never hear Arsenal might be in for him this summer? They could have "made a play", they finished 2nd, they have money, they show #ambition, they needed a midfielder. It's because they clearly never made the groundwork. We have never publicly made groundwork for Caicedo. For whatever reason. His price, we don't rate him that much, whatever. Could be anything.

Most of the players we actually sign we aren't really particularly heavily 'linked' with prior to signing them.

We usually keep our cards close to chest and then move in.

The whole Lavia thing is pretty unlike us and not a good look for us....even taking into account the circumstances that the recent disruptor that unexpected sales has been.

I'm holding out hope we have a top target in mind and will be bringing him in soon.

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

Most of the players we actually sign we aren't really particularly heavily 'linked' with prior to signing them.

We usually keep our cards close to chest and then move in.

The whole Lavia thing is pretty unlike us and not a good look for us....even taking into account the circumstances that the recent disruptor that unexpected sales has been.

I'm holding out hope we have a top target in mind and will be bringing him in soon.

Doing work on a target and being linked with them isn't the same thing. I think it's pretty clear we aren't interested in Caicedo when Chelsea are the only team bidding for him in the month of August. Don't have to read between the lines to figure that one out.