You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

14 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Yeah I'd not be wanting to gamble on him staying fit either. I'm sure they realise there's going to be uproar if we don't get another midfielder so probably better if it's someone like Lavia or Andre instead of a last minute cheap/rushed signing to make up the numbers.

Nope. It's a similar issue I have with Diaz/Nunez/Jota (where someone you'd like to see play is benched but there's not enough spaces). Gakpo and Mo are first choice and I'm fine with Gakpo being there now, not sure who that third should be though. Ideally if everyone's playing well you could rotate Gakpo/Nunez, Mac/Szob, Diaz/Jota. Either way good players end up on the bench but that should be happening anyway for depth.

I think he starts in whatever system we play.

9 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I think he starts in whatever system we play.

That could be the case and I'd not be surprised if he ends up being great too. I'm mainly bothered about Trent and this inverted fullback issue though if he's not in midfield, can't see how it works.

2 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

If the fabhino bud unsettled us then we shouldn’t have sold him.

Cant use that as an excuse.

He wanted to go, he was shite last season, we'd probably never get a better offer for him. 

Once a player decides that they want to go, and particularly if it's to a retirement league like Saudi Arabia then I wouldn't want them here personally. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bossy said:

A mate who has a mate (I know, I know) who works at the training ground reckons we’re actively negotiating with 7 different clubs to buy 2 midfielders and a CB. The clubs all wanted more money once news about the Saudi deals started breaking, hence the delays. That’s as good as some Twitter report I reckon. 

Indykaila over there.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Em City said:

Miguel Delaney was on Second Captains the other day saying the Saudi money has completely clogged the market. Selling clubs have raised the asking price, even for clubs that didn't get rid of their flotsam to Saudi like we did. We have to get two mids and another CB regardless of the "market". Anything less and we're throwing away another season.

FSG - penny wise, pound foolish 

It's obvious they're trying their usual shtick and won't be long before the usual messenger boys start throwing out the usual excuses. I, and many others, have stuck it for this long but with last season and after getting rid of loads of high wages off the books, they've run out of road on these tactics. If the window ends without the players we obviously need, there will be protests imo, and rightfully so. 

Protests? As in shit happening at the match? Absolutely no way. There'll be plenty of fume, be it on twitter, online boards like this and the pubs. But there's no way there'll be protests. Anfield will do what it always does when it doesn't believe in what the club is doing. It'll go silent. 

I hate fsg. I think they're massive cunts who have no interest in either our sport or our club, their interest is in what they can extract from us. But I won't be joining any protest. It's fucking pointless. The only thing you can do, is vote with your feet.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

It cannot work with the players we have now.

Agreed, a holding mid that can also switch to RB once Trent goes wandering would be awesome if we have to stick with that system but I doubt there's many of them around that are available.

3 hours ago, El Rojo said:

I hope you're wrong, obviously.

But when there's significant jubilance among a fanbase over the unexpected departure of two senior players despite previous evidence suggesting that there were no guarantees on replacements, they're probably in the right game.  

Hard to believe when people spend their days complaining about the way the club does things in the transfer market that they didnt realize selling Fabinho would have real potential drawbacks. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Em City said:

It's obvious they're trying their usual shtick and won't be long before the usual messenger boys start throwing out the usual excuses. I, and many others, have stuck it for this long but with last season and after getting rid of loads of high wages off the books, they've run out of road on these tactics. If the window ends without the players we obviously need, there will be protests imo, and rightfully so. 

Nah, they'll go with a combination of the Saudi's messing up the market and "Klopp's choice/decisions" and too many will fall for it, as usual.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Moo said:

Nah, they'll go with a combination of the Saudi's messing up the market and "Klopp's choice/decisions" and too many will fall for it, as usual.

Yep. They’ll sack Klopp and without a second thought if the going gets tough and the seals will be clapping in approval and telling us to get behind the second rate replacement who doesn’t deserve any support.

2 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Yep. They’ll sack Klopp and without a second thought if the going gets tough and the seals will be clapping in approval and telling us to get behind the second rate replacement who doesn’t deserve any support.

To be honest it will be partly his own fault if it happens, he's been far too complicit. He's ok about speaking out on a multitude of things but stuff that will effect his role further down the line you'd think he'd stand a bit firmer.

37 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Hard to believe when people spend their days complaining about the way the club does things in the transfer market that they didnt realize selling Fabinho would have real potential drawbacks. 

It wouldn't if we had bought a replacement with the large transfer fee. 

In any case turning on each other (though predictable)  might not be the best thing. Is there any  real appetite for any  FSG outism? I hope so at this point. 

7 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

It wouldn't if we had bought a replacement with the large transfer fee. 

In any case turning on each other (though predictable)  might not be the best thing. Is there any  real appetite for any  FSG outism? I hope so at this point. 

I have no idea what you mean with your first sentence. This is exactly what the club are having trouble doing. That was the point. 

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

Agreed, a holding mid that can also switch to RB once Trent goes wandering would be awesome if we have to stick with that system but I doubt there's many of them around that are available.

Doesn't that defeat the object of a box midfield?

43 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

To be honest it will be partly his own fault if it happens, he's been far too complicit. He's ok about speaking out on a multitude of things but stuff that will affect his role further down the line you'd think he'd stand a bit firmer.

That is true, but in fairness, managers who are publicly at loggerheads with boards rarely last long, and it’s not like he couldn’t get an even more monumental wage elsewhere.

I’m hesitant to say this because it seems naive given all we know about most people in football, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s considered that the club would not be in a good place if he walks or gets himself sacked.

With that said, it is clear that he seems to get on well enough with the owners on a personal level.

Just now, TheDrowningMan said:

I’m hesitant to say this because it seems naive given all we know about most people in football, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s considered that the club would not be in a good place if he walks or gets himself sacked.

Klopp is staying in a job he does not want out of pity for LFC?

31 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Doesn't that defeat the object of a box midfield?

I can see partly how that's supposed to work but Trent does seem to move around a lot so would prefer someone that can cover for him at times when that space appears on the right.

5 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

That’s not how football works though. It’s about organisation and teamwork. 

The team is in sync in attack and out of it at the back. It’s hard to win games with an unbalanced 11.

Thanks for explaining how football works, I just thought it was down to which side out scores the other.

We were the better side v Bayern before a host of 75th minute changes. Bayern are hugely better than Chelsea. 

I realise it was only preseason, it was one of the more intense preseason games I’ve ever seen. Klopp and Tuchel (Tuchel especially) were celebrating like they would at a league game. 

For the billionth time, we all see where the improvements are needed. Hopefully there is more cohesion in training over the next week or so.

Also, have you looked at Chelsea at all recently?

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Thanks for explaining how football works, I just thought it was down to which side out scores the other.

We were the better side v Bayern before a host of 75th minute changes. Bayern are hugely better than Chelsea. 

I realise it was only preseason, it was one of the more intense preseason games I’ve ever seen. Klopp and Tuchel (Tuchel especially) were celebrating like they would at a league game. 

For the billionth time, we all see where the improvements are needed. Hopefully there is more cohesion in training over the next week or so.

Also, have you looked at Chelsea at all recently?

We were not the better side against Bayern.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Ha ha true!

It’s just the market though. You’d think a bunch of venture capitalists would understand market trends but apparently it’s like kryptonite - unless it’s them doing the cashing in.

Unbelievable those shit bastards Mane & Van Dijk turned out to be world class.