You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

1 hour ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

From crying out for midfielders, I now find myself hoping we're only signing one more. Lavia and Thuram seems overkill. No way we bed in four new midfielders in one season, even if one leaves.

Get a CB. If we're release clause FC then Inacio will do.

Bang on , 1 more for mf and a decent cb.

2 hours ago, an tha said:

It was never about affording Bellingham in isolation was it - it was about fact that we needed more than just one player and if we did nearly all our money on Bellingham (inc his massive wage) we wouldn't be able to afford the other players we desperately need.

We've already surpassed the Bellingham fee, if we spend anther £40m+ on any midfielder we still could have bought Bellingham and Mac Allister with that budget, still having change for a cheaper punt. We've already free'd up lots of wages with the 3 midfielders that have left. 4 actually, including Arthur. 

Hopefully Szoboszlai ends up being better than Bellingham, but that financial gap doesn't seem like it was too hard to overcome. 

It feels bad saying it, but I'd be very happy with Thiago leaving.  

We have to play around how he plays and so developing patterns around a player who is not even available 50% of the time seems counterintuitive.   I think it's a good time to move him on, as much as I love the fella.

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, an tha said:

Go on, stevie lad - get those bids in....

Gerrard and Fowler get into a bidding war for Adrian…

Although I can’t lie, I am a bit disappointed they’ve both chosen to suckle on the oil teet of the sports washing regime. 

Obviously their decision, I’m sure they are being very handsomely paid, I can’t say I wouldn’t make the same decision… just doesn’t sit right. 

Making ridiculous bids for our dead wood would make me feel a bit better! 

7 minutes ago, Remmie said:

We've already surpassed the Bellingham fee, if we spend anther £40m+ on any midfielder we still could have bought Bellingham and Mac Allister with that budget, still having change for a cheaper punt. We've already free'd up lots of wages with the 3 midfielders that have left. 4 actually, including Arthur. 

Hopefully Szoboszlai ends up being better than Bellingham, but that financial gap doesn't seem like it was too hard to overcome. 

We are probably paying Mac Allister and Szobo less combined than we would have Bellingham alone...and the fees are about what we would have had to pay him. So 2 for what would have been 1 IMO is better business.

Personally i think Bellingham is massively overrated and overhyped. I also don't want Ingerlund mainstays in our team either - but that part is just me and my personal hatred of Ingerlund.

16 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Although I can’t lie, I am a bit disappointed they’ve both chosen to suckle on the oil teet of the sports washing regime. 

Obviously their decision, I’m sure they are being very handsomely paid, I can’t say I wouldn’t make the same decision… just doesn’t sit right. 

Totally in step with Fowler's coaching career, rather than the money in particular. Goes overseas to manage, comes back and does some coaching but gets no luck in management, goes back overseas. I don't know about Stevie, maybe it's the money, maybe it's experience managing (and Vs) better players. Sure he still has long term plans and if he's not getting offers in Europe why not?

Much less of an issue than players in their prime giving up their careers to make a few extra million imo, but it's always happened. We all know the South american club scene would be immense quality-wise if players weren't sent to Europe for the money.

13 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Sadly their influence on sport due to the money is growing and is going to continue to grow.

Look at golf....boxing has been sucking their cock for a while and wants more....even 'sports entertainment' in the form of wwe are in bed with them big time.

It is shite - but it is here and here to stay - we are about to enter a whole new era of shiteness that will make even the last 30 years since sky invented footy look like an era of innocence, corinthian spirit and decency.

3 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Totally in step with Fowler's coaching career, rather than the money in particular. Goes overseas to manage, comes back and does some coaching but gets no luck in management, goes back overseas. I don't know about Stevie, maybe it's the money, maybe it's experience managing (and Vs) better players. Sure he still has long term plans and if he's not getting offers in Europe why not?

Much less of an issue than players in their prime giving up their careers to make a few extra million imo.

Yeah, I was thinking that about Fowler - hasn’t he coached in Australia, Thailand and India or something? 

For Gerrard, I’d assume it would be coaching and improving players? 

Dunno. I’m not judging them. As I said, I couldn’t say I wouldn’t do the same. It just doesn’t feel right given our views on City, PSG and Newcastle. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Someone I don't know just walked past our office window, breathed onto the glass and wrote 'Pavard' with her finger then fucked off. Not sure what that means. 

You were reading it wrong, Stig, because you were reading it backwards. She was actually trying to write "Drava Ptuj" because we are in for their midfielder Luka Lovenjak. Get out of your comfy office chair and read it again from outside.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/luka-lovenjak/profil/spieler/588679

4 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

You were reading it wrong, Stig, because you were reading it backwards. She was actually trying to write "Drava Ptuj" because we are in for their midfielder Luka Lovenjak. Get out of your comfy office chair and read it again from outside.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/luka-lovenjak/profil/spieler/588679

No no it was definitely pervert. 

36 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

It feels bad saying it, but I'd be very happy with Thiago leaving.  

We have to play around how he plays and so developing patterns around a player who is not even available 50% of the time seems counterintuitive.   I think it's a good time to move him on, as much as I love the fella.

Make of it what you will.

https://www.empireofthekop.com/2023/07/03/thiago-social-media-change/

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

It's also worth looking ahead to next summer. we've rebuilt the attack, we're on the way to rebuilding the midfield, will we need to focus on defence next summer and will there be a conversation around a replacement for Salah that needs to be had especially if the Saudi's come in with one year of his deal left.

If you can 'box' off your midfield this summer, even if you consider that we're a player heavy, in anticipation of losing another of the old guard next summer, it's one less job you have to do.

You're not fixing the midfield this summer but you're putting the pieces in place so that the fix develops.

Couldn't agree more.

3 hours ago, Remmie said:

If we do drop £40m+ on Lavia I probably will be annoyed. Not for spending too much, I have no idea what he's worth, but it will be a clear indication that we could have afforded Bellingham after all. 

Bellingham never wanted us, he was ‘agent Jude’ trying to recruit Trent for Madrid …

Marca headline in a few months