You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Inter (A) - CL Round of 16 1st leg, Wed 16th Feb 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

1 minute ago, lebron said:

Think we'll beat them handsomely at Anfield if we get a football referee instead of a rugby one like today. 

He was an odd one all right. I quite liked his attitude to players, he seemed less pompous than some at this level, but at times it was as if he was channeling that crook from 1966. 

5 minutes ago, lebron said:

Think we'll beat them handsomely at Anfield if we get a football referee instead of a rugby one like today. 

Lost count of how many frees Mane, Salah, Jota and Bobby should have got. The worst one was probably on Konate, when someone just barged him over after he won the ball. No chance that happens at Anfield, the crowd would go nuts.

Delighted for Bobby, along with Hendo and Keita's energy turned the game around with his pressing and interplay.  Some of the posters on here are doing everything possible to remove our tag as the most knowledgeable supporters around, though. Reading back this thread must be embarrasing for the likes of J-V...

Thought the MF selection looked really great early on, but with the ref letting everything go, Klopp was spot on with his subs. These are the type of games Hendo still really can make an impact for us, good on him for raising our level, and for Keita keeping the ball.

Quick word on Trent, are people seriously expecting him to fix every 1v2 situation he encounters? He got zero help from Mo today (he was shocking - again...), and not much more from Harvey...

I'm still struggling to understand how Bobby had the ball, the Inter player went for the ball and got his legs tangled, the ball went to one of our players who was breaking towards goal and somehow the ref gave a free kick to Inter

The Italian TV director was risibly partisan. When we had a good move he'd cut to aerial shots of the ground and super slo-mo shots of Inter fans in the crowd, as if he hoped it might cancel out our action. When they had a decent move he'd replay it several times followed by slo-mo shots of half their team. Bizarre stuff.

14 minutes ago, Aventus said:

I'm still struggling to understand how Bobby had the ball, the Inter player went for the ball and got his legs tangled, the ball went to one of our players who was breaking towards goal and somehow the ref gave a free kick to Inter

Yeah, the next time Bobby was involved one of their players tried to get a choke-hold on him, play on! Proper bizarre.

It's a continuation of the line they tried at the Euros, which was refreshing at first. It really clamped down on those trying to cheat their way to free-kicks and penalties. Problem is when going too far the other way you just allow different kind of cheating, the more traditional "kick every creative player into oblivion without punishment". Not sure which version I disagree most with, some kind of middle ground would be nice...

11 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

The Italian TV director was risibly partisan. When we had a good move he'd cut to aerial shots of the ground and super slo-mo shots of Inter fans in the crowd, as if he hoped it might cancel out our action. When they had a decent move he'd replay it several times followed by slo-mo shots of half their team. Bizarre stuff.

That’s fabulously petty. I approve.

• Upvote 1

On 15/02/2022 at 18:58, Reckoner said:

Here’s that YNWA from 2008. One of the comments describes it as being sung like a defiant hymn that day as the club was being dragged through the mud to the brink of extinction which sums it up nicely.  I remember how good it felt to just keep singing it and everyone else must have felt the same. I was sat under the scoreboard in the corner.

I remember this happening a few other times - one against arsenal I think was pretty epic too, but this one was just incredible. Not being able to make out the shit champions league music until its finished too.

12 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I remember this happening a few other times - one against arsenal I think was pretty epic too, but this one was just incredible. Not being able to make out the shit champions league music until its finished too.

Sure you're talking about a home game, but one away (in the cup I think, Ox ruined us that day) we were so off the pace on the field that we were just singing the slow versions and it was awesome.

13 minutes ago, Pidge said:

"torn to shreds"

0 shots on target.

For a simple game, it's funny how the vast majority of people don't know how to analyze football without hyperbole. It's an incredibly easy game to describe; Inter played well but had no end product and couldn't take advantage of the spaces they created.

In contrast, we were better in both boxes, where it matters, so we won. No one dominated anybody, neither team was shite, no one tore anybody to shreds.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

For a simple game, it's funny how the vast majority of people don't know how to analyze football without hyperbole. It's an incredibly easy game to describe; Inter played well but had no end product and couldn't take advantage of the spaces they created.

In contrast, we were better in both boxes, where it matters, so we won. No one dominated anybody, neither team was shite, no one tore anybody to shreds.

In the age of petrodollars ruining everything, some people can't handle the concept of a competitive game of football.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Bias/tribalism is a big cause of that problem.

Many, many people just can't not let it get in the way.

1 minute ago, s(k)aturation said:

That crossbar was much much closer to a goal than any of their "on target" shots.

Yes, that one was a little concerning.

A couple of breaks where it looked like they could get in, and Trent generally getting a bit of a run around from Perisic, particularly letting him cross the ball too easily.

We stuffed up a few opportunities on the counter as well too, mind you.  As well as being a threat from set pieces all night (morning).