You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2022

Elite

Just now, Special K said:

That was some KO. Good stoppage by Wood's corner

Yeah, great stoppage. The ref was trying his very hardest to buy him valuable seconds to get to the end of the round. He’s 34 - only way that was going even with only 10 seconds left. He was done

0674C87D-11E7-43E6-826F-9327A94D7956.jpeg

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Curly said:

Yeah, great stoppage. The ref was trying his very hardest to buy him valuable seconds to get to the end of the round. He’s 34 - only way that was going even with only 10 seconds left. He was done

0674C87D-11E7-43E6-826F-9327A94D7956.jpeg

Great call but seems like quite poor odds for picking a round

Lots of criticism for the towel coming in last night, and while I agree with a lot of the sentiment around different aspects (defending world title, home town, 10 seconds to see out, great recovery skills etc) I still think it was a great decision made in a high pressure, split second situation.

The ref could see he was gone - he was delaying as much as he possibly could to help him towards the bell. Wood was in no position to defend himself and there was a high chance of a horrible KO in those closing moments. Plus, he was winning and there’s a rematch clause, so they’ll fancy their chances if it goes again

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/35719264/sources-josh-taylor-teofimo-lopez-agree-june-10-clash-nyc

Josh Taylor and Teofimo Lopez have agreed to a deal for Taylor's WBO junior welterweight title June 10 in New York on ESPN/ESPN+, sources told ESPN.

The 140-pound bout, which pits the former undisputed junior welterweight champion against Lopez, the ex-undisputed lightweight champion, will take place at either Madison Square Garden (20,000-plus seats) or the Hulu Theater at MSG (approximately 5,500 capacity).

"We're set on the fight. Teo is set on Josh Taylor like he was set on [Vasiliy] Lomachenko," said Lopez's manager, David McWater. "We don't know yet, but I suspect it's the big room. We almost sold out the big room in December for Sandor Martin."

Taylor (19-0, 13 KOs) was set to meet Jack Catterall in a rematch March 4, but the bout was postponed after Taylor tore a plantar fascia last month. The 32-year-old champion said he would be able to resume training in approximately six to eight weeks.

Boxxer, the U.K.-based promoter of the Taylor-Catterall rematch, failed to place rescheduling language in the contract, multiple sources said, which freed Taylor to move on to the Lopez bout. Boxxer CEO Ben Shalom didn't respond to messages from ESPN seeking comment.

"Further on down the line, Jack and me can still fight," Taylor told Sky Sports last week. " ... This fight [vs. Lopez] is a much bigger fight than the Catterall fight ... and it's a harder fight. He is a much higher caliber of opponent. He has been at a higher level. He's been in with better fighters. He's done the business."

Taylor defended his undisputed championship against Catterall last February in Scotland and emerged with a split-decision victory, but the judging was marred in controversy.

Taylor, 32, is a star in Scotland, and the matchup with Lopez was originally being explored for the U.K. Instead, Taylor will travel for his fifth fight in the U.S.

His most-recent stateside was his career-best victory, a unanimous-decision win over Jose Ramirez in May 2021 to capture the undisputed championship.

Taylor vacated three of his four beltsto avoid mandatory challengers that would have prevented the rematch with Catterall.

"I think the Taylor side has become less enthusiastic about the rematch with Catterall," said McWater. "For us, we were concerned about fighting over there [in the U.K.]. If we fight over there, you'll watch it at 3 or 4 in the afternoon. It was really important to Teofimo not to do that. We want the eyeballs.

"Top Rank really listened to me this time. I think it's a better fight over here."

In a way, this a comeback bout for each fighter. Taylor has fought only once since he defeated Ramirez. And that victory over Catterall was one of the most controversial in years.

Lopez, among the most charismatic and talented young fighters in the game, lost the four belts he won from Lomachenko when he was defeated by George Kambosos at the Hulu Theater in ESPN's 2021 Upset of the Year, and has been criticized for lackluster performances in his two fights at 140 pounds.

His split-decision win over Sandor Martin was highly disputed.

Taylor and Lopez have been on a collision course for years as they've traded insults. Most recently, Lopez (18-1, 13 KOs) vowed to knock Taylor out before he faced Martin.

I'd tear him up, from the body to the head, he's not going to know which one I'm going to hurt him with," Lopez, who fights out of Las Vegas, told Sky Sports in December.

"A lot of people would like to see me take on Josh Taylor, and I've been calling him out.

" ... I actually will put him down better than what Catterall did. He won't come back up, that's all I can tell you."

The 25-year-old Lopez is rated No. 10 at junior welterweight by ESPN. Taylor is ESPN's No. 2 junior welterweight.

Taylor must fully recover from yet another injury first. The plantar fascia connects the heel bone to the toes to create the arch of the foot, and tearing one is considered a highly painful injury.

Taylor and Lopez were both on ESPN's pound-for-pound list at the same time before Lopez's loss to Kambosos. Taylor, too, dropped off the list after the performance vs. Catterall.

The Loneliest Sport. 

On this day...

'I was a smaller heavyweight, but I could fight the big guys. I’m proud of what I did, but all I ever wanted was to be a good fighter and a good person.' - Jimmy Ellis 

On this day in 1940, former WBA Heavyweight World Champion, Jimmy Ellis was born.

Born in Louisville, Kentucky, Ellis took up boxing as a teenager after watching his friend lose an amateur bout against an up and coming prospect by the name of Cassius Clay - later to be known throughout the world as Muhammad Ali. Ellis would go on to face Ali twice during their respective amateur campaigns, both sharing the bragging rights with one victory apiece.

Ellis' amateur career was impressive, seeing him win 59 out of 66 amateur contests, winning the Chicago, Kentucky and Inter City Golden Gloves tournaments in the Middleweight division. Ellis also narrowly missed out on a spot alongside Ali on the 1960 US Olympic boxing team, losing to eventual Light Middleweight gold medallist, Wilbert McClure in the Olympic Trials.

Ellis began his professional campaign in 1961, aged 21 in the Middleweight division and despite a respectable run of form which saw occasional losses coming from notable opposition including Don Fullmer, George Benton and Rubin Carter, Ellis knew he had the potential to achieve so much more.

Ellis turned to noted trainer, Angelo Dundee and he eventually agreed to take Ellis under his wing. Ellis found himself reunited with Muhammad Ali and became his close friend and sparring partner during some of the most defining moments of Ali's pre-exile career.

It was during Ali's exile however that Ellis came into his own, eventually moving up to the heavyweight division and entering the WBA's eight man tournament to battle it out for their portion of the crown stripped from Ali. Ellis put together a string of superb performances, defeating the likes of Leotis Martin, Oscar Bonavena and Jerry Quarry to emerge as the champion.

Ellis made one successful defence of his title against former two-time world champion, Floyd Patterson before meeting Joe Frazier, the NYSAC's heavyweight champion in a unification showdown to decide who was the division's true champion. Unfortunately for Ellis, Frazier's relentless onslaught proved too great and Ellis retired on his stool at the end of the 4th round. 

Ellis bounced back from defeat by claiming three consecutive victories, including an unanimous decision win over the iron-chinned George Chuvalo. Ellis then squared off against Ali, who was back in the fold and coming off a loss against Frazier. Dundee, who served as trainer for both men chose to work Ellis' corner for the fight but nonetheless Ali would go on to claim a 12th round stoppage.

Once again Ellis was able to dust himself off and get back to winning ways, stringing together 8 consecutive victories, all inside the distance before being blitzed in one round by arguably the hardest puncher of all time in Earnie Shavers.

The loss to Shavers signalled the beginning of the end for Ellis, who managed just 2 victories out of his last 7 outings, adding losses against the likes of Ron Lyle, Joe Bugner and a 2nd fight with Frazier to his record.

Ellis' career was brought to an abrupt end when an eye injury during sparring left him partially blind and unable to fight any longer. He retired with a final professional record of 40-12-1 (24 wins by KO).

In his later years, Ellis suffered from Dementia Pugilistica and sadly passed away on the 6th May 2014, aged 74. Upon hearing of his friend and former opponent's passing, Muhammad Ali said of Ellis; 'I had a kinship with Jimmy and felt like he and I were of the same cloth. He was a great athlete and a caring man. Great competitors who happen to be great friends are rare. Jimmy Ellis was that to me and I will miss him.'

Happy Heavenly Birthday Champ, Rest in Peace.

FB_IMG_1677312657405.jpg

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, cloggypop said:

Floyd Mayweather v some blert from Geordie Shore tomorrow. Both undefeated. 25 quid PPV. Can't wait. 

Every Friday I have a look to see if there is any boxing on Saturday night.

Could have sworn I saw Mayweather fighting someone I didn't know tomorrow.

Sadly, you've confirmed it.

So, the two biggest fights this weekend are one with someone from reality TV and another with a YouTuber. Great stuff.