You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What you used to do on Sundays

Moctezuma

You had Sunday roasts for tea?

I used to like Heartbeat and still occasionally watch reruns of it.

Since leaving home I've always had my main meal in the evening but it was like that at my parents' as a teenager. I can't remember when it changed. It takes the whole day up if you have it in the middle of the day

Sunday league match at 10am

Home for my roast dinner

Football italia

Out with my mates for a few hours

Tele for a bit

The sound of Heartbeat on the tele signalling that School is in the morning and the fear setting in.

Me? Is that you?

Exact mate. Hated the heartbeat music. The Monday dread used to kick in at the final whistle of footy too.

I like the restfulness and familyness of Sundays.

That is unless some diving cheating infuriating scandalous scum Tottenham player/referee/lino infiltrates my day with their reckless disgraceful behaviour.

This Sunday should be very relaxing if Saints behave 

Do people still have roast dinners every Sunday?

Id say we have one every 3 weeks, sometimes fortnightly. Alternatively we might have Spaghetti Bolognese, Chilli, Lasagna or may have Steak/Chicken breast with potato and veg, normally with peppercorn sauce.

You just cant beat a proper roast. Preferrably it will be raining or really cold out. Not sure why that effects things but t adds to it.

Must be hard doing a roast with biscuits?.............

I only ever have them for special occasions now. It used to be every Sunday.

Doing the wishbone with my sister, the smell of the dinner and the windows being all steamed up was a constant.

I wasn't into getting up early, so footy was out the question. At that age I hadn't learnt that the papers were full of shit when it came to transfers. The Sunday papers were boss for transfers and rumours, all of which I thought were true.

I'd never manage to get through a full match of Italian Footy, but when they'd go through the scores, I would be engrossed by the team names. Genoa, Torino, Parma, etc all seemed pretty exotic back then. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe were obvious highlights.

Watching London's Burning in front of the fire was also decent.

Id say we have one every 3 weeks, sometimes fortnightly. Alternatively we might have Spaghetti Bolognese, Chilli, Lasagna or may have Steak/Chicken breast with potato and veg, normally with peppercorn sauce.

You just cant beat a proper roast. Preferrably it will be raining or really cold out. Not sure why that effects things but t adds to it.

Must be hard doing a roast with biscuits?.............

Ha ha. I'd rather have a packet of biscuits than one of wife's roast dinners.

• Upvote 1

I only ever have them for special occasions now. It used to be every Sunday.

Doing the wishbone with my sister, the smell of the dinner and the windows being all steamed up was a constant.

I wasn't into getting up early, so footy was out the question. At that age I hadn't learnt that the papers were full of shit when it came to transfers. The Sunday papers were boss for transfers and rumours, all of which I thought were true.

I'd never manage to get through a full match of Italian Footy, but she they'd go through the scores I would be engrossed by the team names. Genoa, Torino, Parma, etc all seemed pretty exotic back then. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe were obvious highlights.

Watching London's Burning in front of the fire was also decent.

Londons Burning is a good shout. I also could never watch a whole Serie A game but at the time it was some sort of mystical elite with Platt signing for Bari for big money then Gascoigne and Lazzzzzzioooooooo..

Do either a roast or a bbq chicken with some sort of potatoes pretty much every Sunday -- the rest, no. Not American enough - plus its too damn hot most of the time.

Top shout by NunnieP -- can't beat a bowl of mussels in beer/butter/onion broth.

So, now:

Age Group Footy

Footy on the TV

American Footy on the TV

Nap

Footsies w the Wife

Chicken/Taters

Piss about on the Net

I am a bit older than most of the posters so far I suspect & my main memory of my earliest days was how boring Sunday was , with nothing open and having to go to mass every week. Probably gone too far the other way nowadays & feel a bit sorry for some of the youngsters working in shops or bookies. 

The highlight for me was 'The Big Match ' particularly if LFC were involved. I went to All Saints which is just up the road from Anfield & we used to nip up there on Fridays to see if the big tv vans had arrived ( Oldie alert for young posters - amazingly enough not every single game was shown every week and no live games at all give or take the FA Cup Final or Internationals  , there were only 2 main game highlights , MOTD on Saturday Night & The Big Match on Sunday afternoon. )

Don’t remember too many roast dinners much as a kid growing up in the 60’s probably because we didn’t have a pot to piss in, Sunday tea was more memorable used to consist of tinned salmon and trifle made from mandarin oranges.

Am a 70's child but pretty much the same. We had blind roasts(and blind scouse in the week) as a kid and when things got better we were royalty with meat and never looked back. Now I've gone full circle due to lifestyle choices and I'm back on blind roasts and blind scouse.

Great days, as daft as it sounds things were better when life was tougher. The less you had, the more you had, if that makes sense. 

• Upvote 1

before football Sundays:  get up just before 12, mate would call round, we'd go off to the Dominion on the Dock Road for shit drinks and strippers, half 2 taxi down upper Parly to the Ibo or Yoruba clubs, drink bottled beer and eat something out of a big pot while watching stripper, then back to the local pub at 7 and home by about 8.30.  Shitfaced and ready for school the next day.  

Football Sundays - up about 10 for a 10.30 kickoff.  Then in the pub, who would kindly do baked potatoes for the boys.