You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2017 transfer window

Captain

I know it's easy to be disheartened by our recent form but we've still got an absolutely boss team and manager. I trust Klopp to turn it around.

We've hot a good first 11 when everyone is fit but the manager seriously needs to be backed if we ever want to win anything. Their net spend over six years isn't that much different to what we used to spend when David Moores owned us.

I know it's easy to be disheartened by our recent form but we've still got an absolutely boss team and manager. I trust Klopp to turn it around.

How do we have an "absolutely boss team" though?  In all seriousness?  This team hasn't achieved anything, ever, like literally nothing about from being really good for a couple of months and is proven to be good at not delivering when it matters.  Thankfully, we have Klopp and I trust him so I agree with you there but we're nothing more than a decent side who had a good start to the season as things stand. 

• Upvote 1

We've hot a good first 11 when everyone is fit but the manager seriously needs to be backed if we ever want to win anything. Their net spend over six years isn't that much different to what we used to spend when David Moores owned us.

He doesn't want backing according to him which is even more worrying. Let's wait until the right player is available and in the meantime we'll lose our best player to barca because we're winning fuck all.

• Upvote 1

From now on?

It's been groundhog season every year since 92 apart from 3 seasons.

I know but I didn't wanna come across as being too negative, There was a comment from one of the coaching staff last week saying we can't be signing players as it'll stifle Woodburns progression to the first team. For fucks sake, talk about lowering your expectations. I'm just sick to death of this 5 year plan bullshit that's been extended to a 26 year plan now. I'm all for giving youth a chance, but the main priority for this club has to be winning the league. We've spent absolute fortunes buying hope rather than reality so whoever our winnng manager can produce the winning romantic card, whereas clubs we wouldn't give a 2nd glance too not to long ago have shrugged there shoulders at us and done what was required and went out and won the big one.

We've made excuses for years about how we can't compete with anyone whose finished above us since 1990 and it has to stop. I can't remember seeing any other club make as many excuses as us for winning fuck all like we do. Fuck your 5 year plans, make it a 4 and a half month one and we'll think of 5 years when we've got a couple more leagues under our belt and we're right back on our fucking perch.

Boss manager - yes.

Team needs more nous, winners and most of all bollocks - still nowhere near enough of those things when it really matters.

Question is are we doing enough to get it sorted or are we just relying on our boss manager to keep getting them to over achieve?...which to be fair he does manage most of the time - imagine what he could do if he had better tools at his disposal and some more players with balls, nous and a winning mentallity

I know but I didn't wanna come across as being too negative, There was a comment from one of the coaching staff last week saying we can't be signing players as it'll stifle Woodburns progression to the first team. For fucks sake, talk about lowering your expectations. I'm just sick to death of this 5 year plan bullshit that's been extended to a 26 year plan now. I'm all for giving youth a chance, but the main priority for this club has to be winning the league. We've spent absolute fortunes buying hope rather than reality so whoever our winnng manager can produce the winning romantic card, whereas clubs we wouldn't give a 2nd glance too not to long ago have shrugged there shoulders at us and done what was required and went out and won the big one.

We've made excuses for years about how we can't compete with anyone whose finished above us since 1990 and it has to stop. I can't remember seeing any other club make as many excuses as us for winning fuck all like we do. Fuck your 5 year plans, make it a 4 and a half month one and we'll think of 5 years when we've got a couple more leagues under our belt and we're right back on our fucking perch.

What are we the 8th or 9th wealthest club in the world?

I would imagine we are in the top 4/5 for spending in our league this decade.

So far this decade we have won 1 trophy - a league cup

Boss manager - yes.

Team needs more nous, winners and most of all bollocks - still nowhere near enough of those things when it really matters.

Question is are we doing enough to get it sorted or are we just relying on our boss manager to keep getting them to over achieve?...which to be fair he does manage most of the time - imagine what he could do if he had better tools at his disposal and some more players with balls, nous and a winning mentallity

With all due respect, those are all buzzwords that mean nothing. Milner and Sturridge have won stuff and I don't see the intangible difference that this is supposed to be making. Also, Klopp won titles with young sides who's players had hardly won anything.

In one. But to be fair, we've cleaned up in the excuse making league. Let's hope the mancs (or anyone) knock us off that fucking perch

Unfortunately the right player hasn't been available in the right moment for us... or something...

Klopp will have known what he was getting hilmself into when he agree to come here. FSG employed him because he one of few big name mangers willing to work with a relatively tight budget and develop young players.

Tight budget shouldn't equate to negative net spend though.

Klopp will have known what he was getting hilmself into when he agree to come here. FSG employed him because he one of few big name mangers willing to work with a relatively tight budget and develop young players.

If this was 1993 then this attitude would have been great for us.

Klopp will have known what he was getting hilmself into when he agree to come here. FSG employed him because he's one of few big name mangers willing to work with a relatively tight budget and develop young players.

Correct. He's probably spent more on Mane, Wijnaldum and Karius in one window here than he had in a number for Dortmund.

Im genuinely interested in who are these players people think we should buy who would make a difference by being slung straight into the team.

Did you even read my post?

Of course there are players who would be improvements. The point is that the improvement they bring is very, very marginal. We aren't getting Messi or Suarez in, so at best we're talking about someone like Dahoud or Promes. You really think that Promes (instead of Origi) starting 5 games and on the bench for another 10 between now and May makes the difference for us in the title race?

Of course not. So I'll say it again - the problem is not that our squad can not be improved upon. The problem is that the squad can not be improved upon in January enough that it makes it worth going after a player who's not one of our long-term first-choice targets. If we get Promes in for 25m now, then that probably prevents us from going for Pulisic in the summer.

Klopp is not looking at this January as a way to get us 2 or 3 extra points, potentially, in the title race this season. He is trying to build a side that will consistently be competing for the title over the next five years.

A fairly good description of the way Klopp is thinking I would believe. A significant portion of our supporters probably see it differently than Klopp.

My personal opinion is that his philosophy is right for us. Doesn't mean that he is perfect of course. I do think we went into the season with a too thin squad. I also think Klopp overestimates the quality of some of our player, our keepers and central defenders in particular. And to some extent our central midfielders.

As for the January window I would have loved to see us buy a couple of players, but only if they are real improvements also in the long run. This logic that it's possible to find someone better than Lucas or Moreno I will never understand. We don't need players that are better than Moreno, we need players that are better than the top teams have or will get. Not players that will (slightly) improve our team, but players that will make us better than Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, City and United.