You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Georginio Wijnaldum

Unrighteous

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/01/2020 at 19:34, 3 Stacks said:

Logically, this is probably heading towards him leaving on a free in 2021. He'll be 30 and clubs will line up to give him a massive salary. Last big contract and all, and I doubt we'd be the ones to offer him what he's looking for financially at his age unless he would accept signing a short team deal.

He hasn't showed any signs of slowing down yet, and it's not like we are averse to giving contracts to older players, Milner has just signed an extension taking him to 2022 when hell be 36.

I don't think 30 is the age he'll be looking for the final big contract. 

I reckon he's just waiting til the end of the season so he can walk into the negotiations with about 5 medals around his neck to assert dominance before getting himself a massive pay rise. 

clwb1hwuw9f41.jpg

Hmmm, Im not sure and think there's more to this story. Gini's said it's difficult to talk about it when asked. Players coming to the end of their contracts at clubs generally know who the manager is looking to bring in, who's surplus to requirements and which other clubs are interested in signing them.

Who knows how Gini's contract is structured and maybe he's wanting pay parity with his perceived senior teammates? Of maybe he knows who Jurgen is looking to bring in and his place in the team will not be as consistent as it currently is?

I guess it may all come clearer at the end of this season because Id be amazed if Liverpool let him leave on a free in 12 months time.

39 minutes ago, Grinch said:

We've probably got a quiet summer ahead.   Quite a few of them needs new contracts.   

Most of that back four for a start aren't going to be able to be kept on a relative pittance. 

Probably. It will be tricky navigating what Spurs failed to do with their decent crop of players: knowing when to sell, and which to invest in to keep. Unless the FSG strategy changes — which is extremely doubtful — we won’t be able to accommodate all the huge increases that agents will no doubt - with good reason - be looking for on much of the squad. The current crop could easily be on a 30% higher wage bill. Presumably United’s for example is far higher than ours?

1 hour ago, Grinch said:

We've probably got a quiet summer ahead.   Quite a few of them needs new contracts.   

Most of that back four for a start aren't going to be able to be kept on a relative pittance. 

Just split Lovren wages between the other 3

• Upvote 1

As long as his physical side doesn't drop off Klopp will want him to stay.  He does the dirty work on the pitch a lot of which isn't noticed - except by Klopp.  How the fuck he can have 2 or 3 opposition players hanging onto him and still turn them and keep the ball amazes me every time I see it.  Such an intelligent player, he grasps Klopp's philosophy fully.

I hope the club double his wages to stave off any competitors waving big bucks at him.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, scudger99 said:

As long as his physical side doesn't drop off Klopp will want him to stay.  He does the dirty work on the pitch a lot of which isn't noticed - except by Klopp.  How the fuck he can have 2 or 3 opposition players hanging onto him and still turn them and keep the ball amazes me every time I see it.  Such an intelligent player, he grasps Klopp's philosophy fully.

I hope the club double his wages to stave off any competitors waving big bucks at him.

Just have to keep him for that smile. 

Best smile at the club since KMD's goal scoring smile.

30 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Just split Lovren wages between the other 3

He needs to go for sure but Matip is too injury prone and Gonez desperately needs to prove he can stay fit before we could rely on three centre backs.    We've run into trouble with four as it is. 

• Like 1