You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

3 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

If you are a union rep I fucking feel for the people you represent.   Or I’d love to sit across the table from you.  

55 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I'd make mincemeat of you, because you let your daft little obsessions run away with you.

harry-hill-only-one-way-to-find-out.gif

• Upvote 3

I don't know why she's bringing up the 2019 defeat as though she and Starmer weren't involved in it?

The likes of her and Streeting do make it very difficult to vote Labour. I don't expect them to deliver on the majority of things they've pledged recently about reforming the HOL or tackling non dom status. I get the feeling they'll just be a weaker less charismatic version on New Labour.

• Like 1

Anyone but the Tories.

Fuck me we nearly had a good man in charge. If only everyone could touch that decency button across the world. If only John Lennon was still alive. 

Reality is, we have to face the fact that the world is full of corrupt evil cunts. And sly little snivelling rats. 

18 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Anyone but the Tories.

Fuck me we nearly had a good man in charge. If only everyone could touch that decency button across the world. If only John Lennon was still alive. 

Reality is, we have to face the fact that the world is full of corrupt evil cunts. And sly little snivelling rats. 

He wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes if he'd somehow managed to win an election.

The pandemic would have created an impossible dynamic for Corbyn, where any decisions he made would have been wrong and every single covid death would have been blamed on him personally. Every single penny misspent would have been met with crys of we told you Labour can't be trusted etc. Weirdly the Tories haven't had quite the same level of condemnation!

44 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

The pandemic would have created an impossible dynamic for Corbyn, where any decisions he made would have been wrong and every single covid death would have been blamed on him personally. Every single penny misspent would have been met with crys of we told you Labour can't be trusted etc. Weirdly the Tories haven't had quite the same level of condemnation!

Exactly. 

1 hour ago, MegadriveMan said:

Alas, he never came close to actually winning one. 

1 hour ago, MegadriveMan said:

I think he would have acted much more quickly and decisively than Johnson did. That would have lessened the impact on if the virus dramatically.  He certainly wouldn’t have waddled around in a blasé fashion saying stupid shit like ‘it won’t stop me shaking hands with people’ as if it was some dirty foreigner you could stare down like a British bulldog. Say what you want about Corbyn, but he’s not a feckless, uncaring idiot. I also suspect he’d not of splashed billions to his business mates on PPE just for the japes. Mostly because he hasn’t got business mates, he has co-op partners at the allotment but I doubt they dabble in PPE.

The media would have of course got at everything he did, but it would have also been handled much better. Ups and downs. 

• Like 1

I see Corbyn got caught telling a juicy porky on Peston. Sorry, I mean inadvertently misleading the public. He said on Peston that he accepted the EHCR report. Well, that’s just blatantly untrue. You don’t get to release a statement saying you don’t to accept findings in the EHCR, then give interviews after refuting the report, only to innocently say you really just accepted it all along. 

6 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I see Corbyn got caught telling a juicy porky on Peston. Sorry, I mean inadvertently misleading the public. He said on Peston that he accepted the EHCR report. Well, that’s just blatantly untrue. You don’t get to release a statement saying you don’t to accept findings in the EHCR, then give interviews after refuting the report, only to innocently say you really just accepted it all along. 

He said he didn't accept all of its findings. Big difference.

Screenshot_2023-01-12-08-24-20-30_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

• Upvote 1

I know it's tantamount to blasphemy to criticise Him on here in any way, but fuck it, Corbyn still doesn't get it, does he? In that Peston interview he mentions that he addressed claims of anti-Semitism in Labour by appointing (the then highly respected) Shami Chakrabarti to investigate them. He did, and after she gave Labour the all-clear, he made her a life peer and gave her a job in his shadow cabinet. At a stroke her reputation was shot, and her investigation gave the appearance, rightly or wrongly, of a whitewash.

It's calls like this, along with appointing liabilities like Diane Abbott, and his 'principled' refusal to share a stage with Cameron during the EU referendum, that show his appalling lack of judgement.

2 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

I know it's tantamount to blasphemy to criticise Him on here in any way, but fuck it, Corbyn still doesn't get it, does he? In that Peston interview he mentions that he addressed claims of anti-Semitism in Labour by appointing (the then highly respected) Shami Chakrabarti to investigate them. He did, and after she gave Labour the all-clear, he made her a life peer and gave her a job in his shadow cabinet. At a stroke her reputation was shot, and her investigation gave the appearance, rightly or wrongly, of a whitewash.

She didn't give Labour the all-clear. 

It's not "blasphemy" to criticise anyone, but stick to the facts, at least.

18 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

She didn't give Labour the all-clear. 

It's not "blasphemy" to criticise anyone, but stick to the facts, at least.

As good as. She referred to 'an occasionally toxic atmosphere', but otherwise, as you were. It certainly bore no resemblance to the ECHR report into anti-Semitism in Labour, which Corbyn weirdly claimed last night that he accepted. In any case, the point is that Corbyn thought it a good and wise move to reward her immediately following her conclusions.

Imagine a similar situation happening anywhere else across the political spectrum, even under Starmer's Labour, and ask yourself what the reaction would have been from those who think Corbyn played this right.

28 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The truth is that he came closer than his two immediate predecessors, and they didn't have people in the party HQ or the PLP working against a Labour victory.

That’s also the truth, yes. Still didn’t actually come close to winning an election though, and we know from the Forde report that those cunts working against Labour didn’t actually achieve it.

32 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

He said he didn't accept all of its findings. Big difference.

Screenshot_2023-01-12-08-24-20-30_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

Yes, he didn’t accept findings from the report. There were findings in the report that he didn’t accept, so to say he accepted the report is clearly untrue. There’s absolutely no way you can say what he said in the interviews after and the written statement and try to pull of that he accepted that report. The report is a whole document, if you don’t accept pretty fundamental parts of the report (or, actually, any part) then you don’t accept what that report says.