You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Second Teams/Soft Spots

Moctezuma

A mate of when had the same thing with Ferencvaros fans abroad somewhere , apparently he mentioned Florian Albert , who is a local hero.

I believe a lot of people attended the match at anfield to see him, European footballer of the year 1967.

Thanks for this easy. A bit of a reminder of how globalised the game is now, in as much that if he were playing today it would invariably be in a Barcelona or Real Madrid shirt rather than a Ferencvaros one.

Roma because I have friends from Rome and they all support them. They got me tickets to a ROMA game in 2003 and they beat Lecce 3-1 with John Carew and Totti scoring.

River plate. Went the classico at Boca's ground. Game ended 2-2 and 3 players got sent off. Me and my mate sat with the River Plate fans. Went the Monumental stadium the next day and did the tour. The tour was in Spanish only but the tour guide went upstairs to the office and got an English speaking office worker to come round with us. They asked us why Liverpool had never had any Argentinian or Uruguayan players. Pre Rafa and Suarez. Also love their kit.

Quality side that. Buffon, Thuram, cannavaro and, chiesa, veron, crespo.

Brolin, Asprilla, Zola, D Baggio. Sensini, Benarivo & Couto at the back. How the fuck they lost to an Arsenal team featuring Selly and Morrow in mf in the 94 CWC final is a mystery. They battered them.

Having gained promotion to the then First division, Millwall fans applauded King Kenny’s all conquering Liverpool onto the pitch at the Den. For supporters who were famed for wearing surgical masks and dishing out “the treatment” to opposing fans I found their act of sportsmanship amazing and have wished them well ever since.

While their fortunes have since declined, Millwall’s capacity to do the unexpected has continued.

They were the first football league club to open a food bank at their ground, despite financial difficulties they refused the offer of sponsorship by a Pay Day Loan company and when the A & E ward of their local Lewisham and General Hospital was threatened with closure they actively campaigned to keep it open.

Socially concerned, financially principled and democratically active, what’s not to like and admire about a club like that in this day and age?

The fact their fans detest Chelsea, West Ham, Spurs and Arsenal should not cloud your judgement.

• Upvote 1

I used to root for Charlton years ago, when Clive Mendonca was banging them in for fun. Then they got promoted and i lost interest. Can't be having conflict of teams.

Outside of England i loved Zanetti and Inter's kits so they were my foreign team. Then Mourinho poisoned me against them. Cheers shitcoat you massive cunt.

I like Barca purely because of Luis and i watched them live last season and love the city and the stadium. Even tho they are annoying twats a good percentage of the time. The annoying twats.

Having gained promotion to the then First division, Millwall fans applauded King Kenny’s all conquering Liverpool onto the pitch at the Den. For supporters who were famed for wearing surgical masks and dishing out “the treatment” to opposing fans I found their act of sportsmanship amazing and have wished them well ever since.

While their fortunes have since declined, Millwall’s capacity to do the unexpected has continued.

They were the first football league club to open a food bank at their ground, despite financial difficulties they refused the offer of sponsorship by a Pay Day Loan company and when the A & E ward of their local Lewisham and General Hospital was threatened with closure they actively campaigned to keep it open.

Socially concerned, financially principled and democratically active, what’s not to like and admire about a club like that in this day and age?

The fact their fans detest Chelsea, West Ham, Spurs and Arsenal should not cloud your judgement.

Nah fuck them. They sang Hillsborough chants years ago in a league cup game at their shithole of a ground. Cunt club.

I'm on the Parma train for the same reasons.

Barcelona. Love the city.

Denmark national team. Had a thing for them since the 1986 World Cup. Loved Elkjaer. Top player. And big Jan.

Crewe Alexander. Seem like one of those clubs who try to do things the right way. Trying to produce good youth players. A bit influenced by the Rob Jones link.

Preston Nob End. They were the first club I got to go see live as my dad was a tight arse at the time and wouldn't stump up for us to watch Liverpool. Mind you, when you could watch football in the mid 90s (94/95) for £7.50 for the pair of you it was a snip really. Got a season ticket the season after and saw them promoted as champions from what is now League 2 (Division 3 at the time). The next season was a bad time as they nearly relegated but the high points were beating the Dingles (Burnley) at their place and the Donkey Lashers 3-0 at home. The season after started on a high with everyone whispering about the possibility of promotion again only for it fall apart spectacularly after a League Cup hiding away to Blackburn Rovers (6-0!!!). Enter the Moyesiah later that season and my dad declared that he wouldn't get a season ticket while that "Rusty Headed Twat" was in charge. I've always kept an eye out for the Nobbers and always want them to do well apart from when they've played us.

Scarborough was another team I used to keep an eye on ad they were my first taste of what life is like as an away supporter. A ramshackle old ground (McCain Stadium) it was when we went there but they were opening a new stand when we went (March 95 I think). Sir Tom opened their stand and then the shit football started. The Nobbers were chasing a play off spot and Scarborough were rooted to the bottom of the league. 1-1 it finished. Contrasting fortunes saw the Nobbers on the rise and Scarborough fell into non league obscurity. Sadly in 2007 Scarborough Football Club were liquidated. Whenever me and the Mrs head over that way we always have a look at the old ground but now I believe it's no longer there. Just the site of a load of houses.

My other team that I follow is Bamber Bridge. A small village just south of Preston as you come off the M6 at junction 29. I grew up in the neighbouring village of Lostock Hall and when Preston were away, the Brig were usually at home so it provided me with live football every week. It was only £1 for kids and £3 for adults. A nice little ground with a club house whereby if the footy is shite you can always go and sit inside and have a few pints and so on. I saw some good games there against the local rivals Chorley and although I couldn't get a tiket for it a famous game was played there in lead up to Euro 96. Bamber Bridge vs Czech Republic. Unsurprisingly the Brig were on the end of a 9-1 thumping. They're still knocking about now are Brig. I think they're in the Nothern Premier or something like that. Brett Ormerod has just recently retired after playing for them too.

• Upvote 1