You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Sturridge-2015

LFC 6 Times

Since he has come back, all he has done is sulk and throw his arms up in the air. He was fucking shite when he came on against arsenal and it was infuriating. Last night he was pathetic. I'd drop him if Balotelli didn't have a runny nose.

Since he has come back, all he has done is sulk and throw his arms up in the air. He was fucking shite when he came on against arsenal and it was infuriating. Last night he was pathetic. I'd drop him if Balotelli didn't have a runny nose.

He has been awful - truth is neither he nor Sterling are good enough to be the top dog at a team trying to crack top 4. Both brilliant to have and very good players.

We really need to buy a top striker - immediately.

Suarez wasn't just individually brilliant. He had the ability to bring out the best in those around him. Sturridge and Sterling are very good players who looked significantly better in Suarez's company. As a result of his team work, his service, his work rate, his sheer joy for the game...

I'm not even sure it was Suarez bringing Sturridge up a level.  It was just how much easier it makes it to find space and do your thang when that force of nature is taking up so much of your opposition's collective attention.  Sturridge was the perfect foil for him, his pace, flair and finishing capacity mixed with the craters Suarez opened up and chances he created complemented him to make the perfect modern striking duo, but he was still very much the junior partner and profited more from Suarez's impact on the opposition than vice versa.

The fact he now doesn't play with a partner at all has taken a further bite out of him; it's one thing no longer playing with a man who you could stand at the ground and watch four terrified defenders all looking over their shoulders at, to see where he was when we didn't even have the ball.  Another to have no partner up there at all, and another still to do it while coming off the back of not just an injury which kept him out for as long as the last one did, but yet another injury, to an area which has shown existing weakness.

I don't think Sturridge is worthy of criticism so much for his attitude, maybe he could press better and chase balls he's lost, but then I get the impression he's playing within himself and shit scared of something else pinging off like an elastic band if he tries to exert himself.  The only area I thought, when he first came back, that his attitude was poor was I felt all the main man talk had got to him, and that Suarez reined that in somewhat, as he would with anyone.  Even with that influence of the best player in the league (and world, last year) and certainly the most demanding and competitive berarating and scolding him, we saw games like Everton at home.  With that gone, he was being too self-indulgent I felt, and was wasting openings through taking the wrong choice of trying to force something himself and being greedy.

I don't even think we're seeing that Sturridge right now, and it's either a confidence issue - with his own body, and/or his form - or he really is physically limited, either for now or for good.  I don't want to whip the guy for that or add to it by giving him a slating he doesn't necessarily warrant, it's just an extremely unfortunate set of circumstances that he's not currently the player he was.  Sometimes you can accept that without the player being a cunt. 

He needs to be wrapped in cotton wool all summer and see where we are, but with a couple of strikers who can at least back-up adequately in playing style, and a blue chip partner who can play with or instead of him.  Anything we get out of him this season now is just a bonus, and I think he's as bereft about that as we are.

• Upvote 3

Sturridge is good when he's really fit which isn't very often

Right now there is no physical element to his game and I reckon he is more concerned about getting hurt than scoring goals . Bottling loads of challenges and getting bullied off the ball

He's no use in this frame of mind

He's been rusty since he's come back, without doubt, but fuck me there's a lot of our fans who are so quick to jump on his back and declare him shit or not as good as he/we thought he was.

His scoring record is phenomenal and I am looking forward to seeing him with a reliable strike partner with a full pre season (touch wood) under his belt.

Stig is right though, infuriating as fuck with his sulking and whining. Knuckle down lad!

Edit: Sturridge, not Stig

• Upvote 1

Sturridge helped Suarez as much if not more during their partnership, he laid a lot of goals on a plate for Suarez and gave him a lot of room by staying forward.

Hes better with a partner up front by I still think he can be succesful as a lone forward, hes off form right now and hasnt been fully fit the whole time hes been back.

I expect him to be back on top form next season after a good pre season where hopefully he remains injury free, I also dont expect us to be as reliant on him next season with other strikers added so the pressure will be taken off him.

• Downvote 1

I'm not even sure it was Suarez bringing Sturridge up a level etc...

An excellent post in full.

We should not forget that Sturridge was magnificent at the start of last season, whilst Suarez was serving one of his bans, scoring a shed load of goals.

Beyond that, if you look at his career, Daniel doesn't do full seasons. His talent has never been in question, his mental approach has, which is why City and Chelsea let him go.

Brendan got the best out of Sturridge last season, there is no reason why he could not again. But the "noises off" about Brendan's "frustration" with Sturridge's lay-offs have been ambiguous and worrying.

Fuck me the lads been out half the season, comes back and broke down again and now looks like he is wearing lead boots when running. He clearly isn't fit and the fact our team create fuck all and only score through moments of individual brilliance is what's hampering him.

The fact Suarez and his multiple moments of brilliance has left is one of the biggest reasons we haven't scored many and why we struggle against the likes of blackburn. The manager needs to sort it out for next year

Injured again? Missing from the squad for Newcastle. A top player but cursed with injuries. We have to shell out on a top striker this summer. Relying on Sturridge is not an option. Sturridge's injuries have cost us big time this season because the manager did not invest in a viable alternative. Balotelli and Lambert are not up to scratch and Borini should have been forced to sign for Sunderland.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully he can get a few more goals between now and the end of May and then stay injury free over the summer. This season is just about getting fit again now for him.

A good pre-season behind him and he'll be a different player.

Need to reign in my expectations somewhat...

• Upvote 2