You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sunderland (A) 10th January

Bjornebye

The red card helped, sure, but even so I started to get a bit queasy at 60' thinking, "They're going to nick a goal, aren't they?"

We've got plenty of quality in the side but have lacked that winning edge, or winning mentality. Today was a continuing good sign that it might be growing in the side.

A few positives today.

3 points, Markovic, Defence and Mig more solid.

No problem with Lucas going if we have an upgrade ready to roll, but if not he is the only predominantly tackling based mids that we have in the squad, and played very well today.

I like Poyet but surely offering 14m for Borini is a sackable offence ?

The same would apply to every single player in the team though.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

1 defeat in 13!

What's everyone else's favourite undefeated game in the 13?

Going out the CL was mine, but I also have a soft spot for throwing away a 2 goal lead to Leicester at home. Sunderland at home was special too, a great night.

4-1 win against Swansea here.

1 defeat in 13!

Going out the CL was mine, but I also have a soft spot for throwing away a 2 goal lead to Leicester at home. Sunderland at home was special too, a great night.

There's no question we are going in the right direction though. It's a wobbly curve and we are still miles away from where we need to be but things are getting better. That's true of both results and team performances (just about), but is probably most pronounced in the performances of some individuals: Markovic, Coutinho, Sakho, Can, Gerrard, Moreno, Lallana pre-injury are now (by and large) consistently decent. Not brilliant, but decent.

• Upvote 1

1 defeat in 13!

thats a bit cynical bro. We'll snot the whole world now Gerrard's leaving.

A very satisfying performance against a well organised side. When Brendan got it wrong, I was happy to say so, here, he got it right. A clean sheet, competitive and combative, and as for Gerrard, he should say he is leaving more often, he played with energy and a smile.

Yep. Can't be arsed to make a compilation but he made 5 or 6 really good interceptions and tackles, passed the ball well, and unless we have someone better coming in, it would be insane to get rid of him, especially if Stevie is no longer going to be playing defensive midfield / quarterback.

MArkovic played well again, and has done for quite a few games. Nice to have some direct running as well as the passing from side to side from the rest of the team.

Sakho always has a mistake in him but stands up to the physical battle bettr than any of outher CBs and passes forwards well rather than just wellying it high and long.

Shame we can't shoot for toffee- all our attacking players should be put on double shooting practice.

Should have put that game away much earlier, especially agaist 10 men, but the 3 points will do.

Always?

Go on then, tell us what you mean. 

After what happened at Skrtel's birthday, I was worried about team morale, but we dug deep and got a solid 3 points. 4 wins in our last 5 is a respectable record and if we get a few reinforcements in, the back half of the season could end up being a lot of fun.

• Upvote 2

There's no question we are going in the right direction though. It's a wobbly curve and we are still miles away from where we need to be but things are getting better. That's true of both results and team performances (just about), but is probably most pronounced in the performances of some individuals: Markovic, Coutinho, Sakho, Can, Gerrard, Moreno, Lallana pre-injury are now (by and large) consistently decent. Not brilliant, but decent.

Henderson? Sterling? If it's decent then I'd add Skrtel and Lucas.