You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Apocalypse World War One

VladimirIlyich

Absolutely brilliant documentary that has just been on the National Geographic Channel and made by a Canada/France television collaboration.

I watched the Canadian version online as I felt the narrator was a bit better than the Nat Geo UK version one.

An absolute epic of a series that makes you angry,sad,frustrated and many other emotions. A must watch and a cut above most documentaries and deserving of its own thread I feel.

Some echoes of what is still going on today despite it being a century later.

• Upvote 2

It was on in the USA too.  Absolutely brilliant is really the perfect way to describe it. 

It does a great job of showing all the different relationships involved, such as the leaders of Germany, England, and Russia all being related.

And it does a great job of showing you maps and how all the moving parts interact. 

And if you have the same opening scene as the USA version did, the music fits absolutely perfectly.  Chilling, scary music that goes well with some of the scenes/pictures to describe what the battlefields were like.

One spot sticks out in my memory for how absolutely dreadful this was.  In an area of Belgium, the UK lost I wanna say ~40,000 men and advanced the line about 5-15 miles.  Think about that.

Visited the somme etc on a school trip. Mental to think what went down there. 

I'm far from nationalistic and despise the union jack but I can't help feel a sense of pride when hearing stories about the soldiers in that war. I never wear a poppy but always donate a few quid. 

One of the defining stories of the war, for me, was that after the Christmas Day football (where both sides came out of their trenches to play together) there was a huge crackdown by the higher echelons to ensure nothing like that ever happened again. 

Know your enemy. It's often not the guy on the other side that share the same life experiences as you do.

• Upvote 3

One of the defining stories of the war, for me, was that after the Christmas Day football (where both sides came out of their trenches to play together) there was a huge crackdown by the higher echelons to ensure nothing like that ever happened again. 

Know your enemy. It's often not the guy on the other side that share the same life experiences as you do.

Indeed.

It was excellent that all the footage had been saved and converted into colour to give a more real idea of what those people actually saw at the time.

I have learned quite a bit from it and particularly the role Jean Jaures had to play.

If he had stayed alive it might never have happened.

He was assassinated by the most aptly named person in the history of mankind - Raoul Villain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raoul_Villain

• 9 years later...

I’ve watched Apocalypse WW1 in the past (there aren’t too many decent documentary series on the topic) and I can’t remember how highly I rated it. Certainly not high enough to have it stick in my mind. 

This one is boss though. 

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0481303/

Originally aired in 2003, narrated by Kenneth Branagh. They do use some of the footage more than once across the six hours, but it’s time well spent. Only six episodes but one on the Naval battles, one on the aerial battles, etc. 

Certainly better than any of the array of ‘WW II in Colour’ series that are out there, which can’t hold a candle to The World at War. 

Available to stream or download in all the usual places. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Did it mention how the war had affected Everton ?

The Thin Boo Line is their historical documentary. From rent avoidance to skirting with relegation. The highs(not many) and lows of being a blue. In glorious colour except red.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, sir roger said:

Did it mention how the war had affected Everton ?

I've started reading The Untouchables about Liverpool's mid-Twenties title winners.  It's surprising (to me, at least) that a couple of them were wounded by gunshot or shrapnel before carrying on with a successful playing career after the war.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

How long are you typically out with a shrapnel wound, is it season ending?

Salah would run it off.

Thiago would put himself out for four months by straining his muscles wincing at the thought of it.

5 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I've started reading The Untouchables about Liverpool's mid-Twenties title winners.  It's surprising (to me, at least) that a couple of them were wounded by gunshot or shrapnel before carrying on with a successful playing career after the war.

Made of stronger stuff back then. Err,shrapnel it seems.