You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dejan Lovren

WhiskeyJar

He had a spell where I though he might be good enough but he's is reverting back to that complete fucktard that first pulled on a Liverpool shirt, Massive mistake by Klopp not rehabilitating Sakho and relying in this fella. Lovren needs to be playing maximum 4 more games for the club

• Upvote 1

That was the first game we've lost with both Matip and Lovren starting. As a partnership they've been decent, but weve not been able to play them both together enough. Mind you, if we want to progress, we need better than decent.

I think Lovren is not good enough at the highest level. He is a decent enough Premier League defender, but we need someone else to form a partnership with Matip to boss it for years to come. Lovren can be third choice or sold and replaced with another. Klavan and Gomez can battle it out for fourth choice, and if Gomez kicks on he can climb through the ranks, but he's not there yet.

I'm amazed how many people are considering Matip as a shoe-in for a team good enough to challenge for trophies. I'm not saying he definitely isn't, but I haven't seen any evidence to suggest he is likely to be.

He stands out as he's the only player that actually resembles an above average defender. In the kingdom of the blind the one eyed man and all that.

He stands out as he's the only player that actually resembles an above average defender. In the kingdom of the blind the one eyed man and all that.

I've long been of the opinion that Matip is the only top quality centre back in our squad. With top quality I mean a player who is good enough to be first choice for a team finishing in the top three on a regular basis, and making it well into the knockout stages of the CL.

A team with those ambitions need at least three, maybe four, top quality CBs. Preferably one of them should be world class and a leader.

As for now I'm starting to doubt Matip slightly, he first of all needs to show he can stay fit and play well over a longer spell before we can decide.

The others we have clearly aren't good enough. Klavan isn't even close to bottom half of the PL standard.

I'm amazed how many people are considering Matip as a shoe-in for a team good enough to challenge for trophies. I'm not saying he definitely isn't, but I haven't seen any evidence to suggest he is likely to be.

Chances of us signing two centre backs better than him are non existent. He hasn't been as good as he started but he's shown enough to say he's easily our best, so given that we probably won't sign two top ones he's an automatic choice in theoretical line ups for next season. I know you're questioning whether he's actually good enough and that does remain to be seen but he's very very likely to be in our first choice partnership next season. In that sense, he's a shoe in

“Dejan is a big presence for us on the pitch and in the dressing room – this is wonderful news that he has committed to LFC for such a long time,” Klopp told Liverpoolfc.com.

It is our intention to build this squad around the great talent we already have. We want to keep our core together. I am really pleased Dejan has become the latest to recognise that Liverpool is a place where players can achieve their dreams and goals.

“He is an outstanding defender and someone who, I believe, still has his best times to come as a player. He has all the assets a top centre-half needs in the modern game.

He has already enjoyed some great moments at this club, but he, like all of us, is hungry to win trophies for LFC. I love this hunger and desire and look forward to seeing it translate to great performances for the team in the coming years.