You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dejan Lovren

WhiskeyJar

Trying to get my head around this without overreacting. Let me try to defend it, though I'm struggling a bit...

First off, £100k is the new £50k. The money is absurd, but £100k is not the top bracket any more. It's the mid bracket.

Second, I mentioned a few pages back that we hadn't lost a game in which both Lovren and Matip have started together this season. Crystal Palace changed that, but even with that bad result, their record together as a partnership is not bad. The problem is one, or both, are too injury prone and we can't seem to get enough of a settled run where they play together.

Third, the Lovren contract does not preclude signing another central defender this summer. To my mind we need a top partner for Matip, with VVD being the benchmark - get him, or get the best we can bring in if it's not him. This bumps Lovren to third choice, and it's up to him to force his way back in. Given the drop in quality this season when we use back ups, we need competition.

Fourth, it could be protecting his value. Maybe the idea is Klopp views him as starter material, but if we sign a top defender in summer and Lovren is bumped down, and ends up wanting out, the value is protected a bit more by the contract.

I don't especially rate the player and see him as third choice, at best, for what we need; but I'm just trying to get my head around it.

I don't share the antipathy towards Lovren. I think our CBs are made to look worse than they are by the paucity of protection they're offered. That said, Lovren had a mare last time out

We could have the legendary Milan backline of the 90's and we'd still leak like a sieve, that said, the contract is yet another baffling decision to reward mediocrity handsomely.

100k is the top bracket, for us. Who would be on more than that? Sturridge, Coutinho, Henderson and Milner.

I take your point, but we are moving into a new financial reality again, and as new contracts are signed, I'm pretty sure £100k will be the mid bracket. We already have a few on more than that, and as we move forward there will be others, I would imagine.

I concede that it's all a bit simplistic, as I'm suggesting upper, mid and lower brackets for our first team squad; when in all likelihood there will be levels within levels.

The main point on the money side of it that I stand by, ridiculous as it may be, is that £100k is not what it once was. The very best worldwide get hundreds of thousands a week. Rooney got £300k and he's all but washed up. OK, that's not us, but for us I suspect ~£200k will be the new benchmark soon enough for the small handful of players who would be considered our very best, and Lovren's new deal will be in a bracket below.

I was actually hoping he'd be sold this summer, not offered a new four year deal. On 100k p/w or 80k p/w.

Well, that was never really on the cards. Klopp likes him, and we're already short in that position, so...

I know some people think the key to success is buying 18 new players. In real life, it doesn't work like that.

• Downvote 1

Well, that was never really on the cards. Klopp likes him, and we're already short in that position, so...

I know some people think the key to success is buying 18 new players. In real life, it doesn't work like that.

I initially wanted to sell him but I came round to the idea that it would be better keeping him as back up - hopefully we still sign someone better or you'd have to think Klopp's been sniffing something

Underwhelmed that Loven is staying. What with Mignolet and now this fella getting the nod it looks like the long running sitcom "Liverpool try to stop the opposition scoring" has extended its run by another season much to the delight of it's legion of fans in Manchester and London,

• Upvote 3

He's no Nesta I agree, but he isn't really performing worse than the much loved Matip. A quick look at the stats on whoscored, you couldn't see a clear 'winner' amongst the two. Unlike say with Van Dijk who is head and shoulders above our centre backs.

He's no Nesta I agree, but he isn't really performing worse than the much loved Matip. A quick look at the stats on whoscored, you couldn't see a clear 'winner' amongst the two. Unlike say with Van Dijk who is head and shoulders above our centre backs.

Neither are good enough and we won't sign VD. Mr Blobby however is a real contender