You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Musical Opinion Amnesty Thread

Bjornebye

OK heres one for this thread: I don't listen to classic rock stuff much simply because the mixing/mastering is so bad compared to the sound quality from the 90s onward. Particulalry noticeable on headphones which I use most of the time.

Have to disagree. Modern production is pure bollocks, everything is maximised with no dynamics. You can see it in the waveforms, they're often just a solid block. Production of classic late 60's and 70's rock is amazing.. Sabbath, Zeppelin, Queen, Floyd etc etc. There's something to be said for keeping production simple with good mics, a good room and a good desk. Everything is chopped up to fuck in Pro Tools now

• Upvote 3

Fuck me, I have to fast forward that cunt every time I watch The Last Waltz.

I blame my mum.  When i was growing up, she had loads of Neil Diamond albums.  Most of them, I just ignored, but I would borrow Beautiful Noise and Tap Root Manuscript to listen to on my own.  They're actually not bad.

• Upvote 1

OK heres one for this thread: I don't listen to classic rock stuff much simply because the mixing/mastering is so bad compared to the sound quality from the 90s onward. Particulalry noticeable on headphones which I use most of the time.

Have to disagree. Modern production is pure bollocks, everything is maximised with no dynamics. You can see it in the waveforms, they're often just a solid block. Production of classic late 60's and 70's rock is amazing.. Sabbath, Zeppelin, Queen, Floyd etc etc. There's something to be said for keeping production simple with good mics, a good room and a good desk. Everything is chopped up to fuck in Pro Tools now

Setreal, have you been listening to stuff that was recorded on analogue equipment squished through some tinny digital shit?  

I recently dug out my vinyl copy of Abbey Road and I have to say, even a deaf old philistine like me can tell that you lose a lot on CDs or MP3s.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pistonbroke

Due to her upcoming possible boxing career I thought I'd listen to a bit of Ellie Goulding's stuff today due to not having much of a clue about her music. There is not a great deal I like, I kind of like this track though. 

Due to her upcoming possible boxing career I thought I'd listen to a bit of Ellie Goulding's stuff today due to not having much of a clue about her music. There is not a great deal I like, I kind of like this track though. 

She is a bad whopper. Hate her voice. I still hope she twats Hopkins all over the shop. 

• Upvote 1

Setreal, have you been listening to stuff that was recorded on analogue equipment squished through some tinny digital shit?  

I recently dug out my vinyl copy of Abbey Road and I have to say, even a deaf old philistine like me can tell that you lose a lot on CDs or MP3s.

I'm not saying I'm proud of it! But that is what my ears are telling me.

I'm not listining to mp3s btw - vinyl or lossless 9 times out of 10.

• 2 months later...
Guest Pistonbroke

Not into country and western that much but I like this track by "Little Big Town." The lead singer Karen Fairchild would get a gig, not bad for a 47 year old. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just listened to Motley Crue Home Sweet Home, what a horrible, cheesy, abominably produced, dreadfully performed, simply incredibly pathetically and woefully sung, terribly written, outrageously hideous, sub-humananly retarded, diarrhoea and vomiting inducing, heinously conceived, laughably brilliant and wonderful song.