You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suicide

Fowlers God

I refused the meds, talking therapy for me.... 

Hope it helps mate, the med's did fuck all for me and a lot of other people I've spoken to. I'm sure they do help at least some people but don't think the current NHS prescribing practice is working for most. They did offer to put me on the waiting list for counselling but it would've been at least a 6 month wait. Thankfully, I feel much better now. The unmentionable has made feel fucking brilliant over the last couple of months. Hopefully I don't come crashing back down to earth at the end of the month

I have tried it before the talking the last time it wasn't so good as I refused to speak about the issues as I couldn't relate to the person doing the therapy, this time it is different as I like the person so I will talk to her and because I feel if I don't then well I want change.

The last year has been hard as I sank a bit deeper and that, I turned 40 at xmas and tbh didn't plan on getting this far... but yeah talking really helps better than those meds. 

Yeah I have had to wait a good while with Talk Liverpool but started about a month back mate and it's doing me the world of good.

Sound mate, glad to hear it. Loads to look forward to in the next few weeks and this summer as well

I'd just like to add to this.

Medication isn't there to solve the issue. It's there to stabilise your mood. Some medication is more effective for others at a standardised dose, some may need more or less. That's why you'll usually have a 2 month period where they will review because it takes some time for them to see side effects and to see if it has any immediate impact.

Therapy is then used to build on that. It's to develop coping strategies to help you manage situations and triggers. There is often confusion between counselling and CBT/ACT. Counselling isn't the default and you may not even require counselling.

Counselling is looking at the past. It's understanding what has happened and how that relates to the now. It's the origin of what might be your presenting problem. It's not about making any changed but more coming to terms with whats happened and is effective for bereavement, trauma or abuse etc.

CBT/ACT is about making changes. It's the here and now and not about the past (although it back help to be aware of this). This therapy is most effective when you are open and committed to the therapy. Self reflection, analysis and a commitment to change is required. I've worked with clients who haven't committed and therefore haven't seen the benefits.

For those doing the latter. Open up. It's sometimes hard to trust a new therapist but give them a chance. They see a snapshot of your life so allow them in to give you a fresh perspective. I've worked with many people transform their relationships, manage work situations or generally reconnect with friends. Sometimes the things that you might not feel are important are the route to a happier life.

For anyone who needs to speak to someone, feel free to message me. I'll help where and when I can.

For those who are feeling suicidal and passively browsing this, please reach out for support. You don't have to struggle with this alone and there is always someone there who can help you put things back together. Contact Samaritans, Saneline or Calm. Or if you feel you cannot keep yourself safe, present at A&E.

If you don't want to do any of that, speak to me.

Remember, you're fucking awesome and you deserve all the support and help you can grasp. Happily waiting should anyone need to a chat.

- B

• Upvote 8

Yeah I've found counselling very hit and miss.

Talk Liverpool gave me a therapist who was boss and we were on the verge of making progress but she went off sick and her replacement discharged me and tried to refer me to a group art therapy class which, needless to say, I didn't go to.

I'm paying to go to a proper psyche in Rodney street now, it's alright, the chap seems to know his onions but it weirds me out a bit that he's about 28 and looks like an indie music fan. I'm persevering though.

I’ve also had some very dark thoughts throughout the years (not one to mention/discuss them on here or anywhere else public and will leave it at that) although I think I’m out the worst of them now - I think.

Can tell you from experience the worst you can do is bottle your feelings up or even think that discussing them or revealing them is a weakness.

Find someone you can confide in and don’t keep trying to batt away waves of depression alone although it’s tough to see what’s rational and/or irrational at times.

Anyway, very sad news seeing this now. Was hoping for some good news.

Maybe these drugs are actually helpful to someone at the point of suicide but I can't even imagine feeling that low or helpless

And the worst part is it takes up to a month for them to be effective, so giving them to somebody who is currently suicidal and telling them to hang on for a month won't work. Plus they can occasionally cause bad reactions in people and make the suicidal thoughts even worse.

They'd be better off prescribing a gram of ketamine than SSRIs

The sooner the education system starts fucking off meaningless subjects like languages, geography and religion and replacing them with "life lessons", the better.

Too many kids and young adults grow up thinking life is going to be easy but when things get tougher in their early twenties, they aren't ready for it. What good is knowing how to say "dos cervezas, por favor" when you have just come out of college, can't get a job, £20k in debt and no girl in with world will look at you?

The sooner the education system starts fucking off meaningless subjects like languages, geography and religion and replacing them with "life lessons", the better.

There is a massive drop off of teen suicide rates amongst teenagers who attend faith schools (where RE is compulsory) compared with state schools where no RE is taught.

What that means, I am not sure, but it is a fact.

There is a massive drop off of teen suicide rates amongst teenagers who attend faith schools (where RE is compulsory) compared with state schools where no RE is taught.

Probably because the suicidal faith school kids are shit scared of the imaginary Hell place they've brainwashed about.

Too many kids and young adults grow up thinking life is going to be easy but when things get tougher in their early twenties, they aren't ready for it. What good is knowing how to say "dos cervezas, por favor" when you have just come out of college, can't get a job, £20k in debt and no girl in with world will look at you?

Your language teaching sounds a lot more useful than what we were taught! I've long advocated that language teaching at entry level should be built around the kinds of things that would help you get by when travelling abroad or just plain conversing with people with people who speak different languages who live/are visiting here.

And in that way I agree with you, that formal education should not just be about studying academic subjects but about preparing people for life and that includes education about keeping yourself physically and mentally well, domestic skills, financial advice etc

She's 11 and she got to me that much I basically told her to pack her bags and piss off!

What the fuck am I doing?

Creator, this is your illness talking. Go back to your doctor and if you can't do that yourself ask for help to make that appointment and get someone to go along with you

Learning a different language has been shown in studies to improve your cognitive abilities. It's far from being meaningless as possible.

As far as RE goes, I definitely must have been off sick the day they brainwashed the class with images of hell.

• Upvote 1

Learning a different language has been shown in studies to improve your cognitive abilities. It's far from being meaningless as possible.

As far as RE goes, I definitely must have been off sick the day they brainwashed the class with images of hell.

It was a flippant remark as much as anything.

I can't remember anyone taking RE seriously at all to be honest, it was one of the 'piss about' subjects.

I didn't know that but I suspect that it's a lot more encompassing than the provision of RE in the schools. If you're choosing to send your kids to a faith school I suspect you have religious beliefs too so I'm guessing those children will live in an environment that teaches that killing yourself is a transgression against your faith.

And I think there is something in that across society that may explain suicide rates. I don't know the statistics and whether they have risen over time but as a society suicide is no longer regarded as a crime and while it is absolutely right that these issues are being discussed more widely and the stigma is diminishing an unwanted consequence can also act as a disinhibitor for those considering suicide themselves

It was a flippant remark as much as anything.

I can't remember anyone taking RE seriously at all to be honest, it was one of the 'piss about' subjects.

They were. I did get detention for blaspheming in one lesson too. An hour just for an "oh my god!" was harsh.

It's a generation thing too, there are more people prepared to sit down and talk about mental health now than there were even 10 years ago.

It's not just the schools that need to prepare the kids for what is ahead but, obviously, their parents too. Hands up whose parents ever talked to them about mental health when you were growing up?

The stigma around mental health is starting to go away and hopefully this has a direct positive impact on suicide rates.