You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suarez: Sell or Keep?

WhiskeyJar

Suarez: Keep or Sell?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Suarez: Keep or Sell?

• Keep him; he is nuts but he is world class and we do not sell world class players.
    • Sell him; he is world class but too much of a nuisance to our club. Time to cash in.
    • Not sure if we should sell him or keep him.

I didn't want Gerrard sold when there was a will he won't he situation all season, then him seemingly talking to Chelsea behind the club's back and handing in a transfer request.

I want him to still stay cos we're stronger with him than without him.

Spot on Paul. We're in no position to take the moral high ground here and do the right thing ethically. Whether he has a gob on for a few weeks or not, we are a far stronger side with Luis Suarez than without. I couldn't care less if he handed in 10 transfer requests, I still want him to stay because with him on the pitch we always have a chance. We're an upper mid table team and for me selling him puts another nail in that coffin towards obscurity.

I still can't figure out why Higuain who was supposedly on his way to Arsenal for a medical, personal terms agreed, ended up at Napoli for 35M, the exact same money they offered for Suarez which we then rejected. Were Arsenal ever in for Higuain, or did they let on to the press that they were interested in the RM striker in order to appease their fans? I don't understand the sudden change of plan to chase Suarez.

The Gerrard situation was a world away. He didn't openly disrespect the club the way Suarez has. Gerrard had carried the club and there was talk that living in the city had become difficult for him, it wasn't all about being a ruthless careerist. Suarez is a gobshite, from the minute I watched his debut and he was throwing his arms in the air at every misplaced pass I thought 'this lad is going to be a gobshite'. Fuck him and the coupe de ville he rode in on.

Getting rid of a player like Suarez is not the sign of a small club, it's the sign of a big club. Big clubs carry themselves with pride and don't let people shit on them like that, they don't beg and plead someone to put a shift in when they're showing open disrespect. When you think of the legends we've had who've carried themselves with dignity on and off the pitch, bollocks to the shit.

Get 55m and kick the twat on the arse on the way out. I drew a line after Torres, all footballers without exception these days are ruthless bellends and so out of touch with 99% of the people that pay their wages.

Let him go, when Torres left we replaced him with someone who proved to be better for us,we'll survive when Luis moves on. Let him go to Arsenal and they can deal with the circus and when Real come calling next year he start this crap with them.

Just please for the love of fuck reinvest the money wisely.

Getting rid of a player like Suarez is not the sign of a small club, it's the sign of a big club. Big clubs carry themselves with pride and don't let people shit on them like that, they don't beg and plead someone to put a shift in when they're showing open disrespect. When you think of the legends we've had who've carried themselves with dignity on and off the pitch, bollocks to the shit.

A very good post.

A prerequisite for any team's success is having players who want to play for the shirt.

Absolutely spot on. Put him on the transfer list and set the price at 50m. If someone takes him off us, fine. If not play him only once his attitude is right.

Suarez making a big mistake if he left Liverpool for Arsenal - Rodgers

25 Jul 2013 22:30

The Reds boss has questioned why anyone would want to quit Anfield and move to the Emirates

Brendan Rofgers believes Luis Suarez would be making a big mistake if he left Liverpool to join Arsenal.

The Reds boss, who is battling to keep hold of the prolific Uruguay striker, has questioned why anyone would want to quit Anfield and move to the Emirates.

Liverpool rejected an improved offer of £40million plus £1 from Arsenal on Tuesday with Rodgers insisting that figure is “significantly” short of their valuation of last season's 30-goal top scorer.

Suarez, who arrived in Thailand with the squad yesterday, has been informed that Liverpool won't consider granting him a move until there is a bid on the table which represents his true value.

Arsenal can offer Champions League football but Rodgers is trying to convince Suarez to snub their interest.

The Northern Irishman expects Liverpool to be competing with the Londoners at the top end of the Premier League this season and desperately wants Suarez around to lead the charge.

He said: “I know what we are trying to build and grow, so why would you swap Liverpool to go to Arsenal?

“I am not sure that it adds up to be honest. Arsenal has a wonderful history in its own right, but Liverpool is one of the biggest clubs in the world.

“Okay, we might not be in the Champions League and haven’t been for a while now, but our competitors have grown around us and we have to step up to the challenge now.

“Would it be a mistake for Luis to leave? 100%. The team was built around Luis last season.

“I made some big calls to get the team to work in a way to suit his strengths and it is no coincidence he had a great season apart from the end bit. We would love to have him to continue the next phase.”

Liverpool were given another warm reception on their arrival in Bangkok for the final leg of their pre-season tour. Suarez is expected to line up against Thailand on Sunday before the squad return to the UK.

“It is difficult for Luis, I understand that,” Rodgers said.

“If a team wants you, it can be difficult, but I am not sure many teams will have done what we have done in the last couple of games. I am sure Luis will have seen the sheer size and status of the club on this trip.

“But it is not something we want to run on too long. It is something that can’t run on too long.”

Rodgers refused to be drawn on whether Suarez submitting a transfer request would force Liverpool's hand.

However, the manager praised the club's principal owner John W Henry and chairman Tom Werner for their hardline stance throughout the summer-long saga.

“Luis is under contract so I haven’t even thought about that (a transfer request),” Rodgers said.

“If a player tells you he really wants to go then you have to look at it.

“But it is a situation we are in control of because he has three years left on his contract. Unless something changes or there is an offer which is heavily increased, he is still very much a Liverpool player.

“I can categorically say the owners have been brilliant throughout this process. The board and club has stayed very strong. It is very simple - we don’t want to sell one of our top players.

“We will continue to work on improving our squad rather than breaking it up.”

Brendan Rogers believes Luis Suarez would be making a mistake if he left Liverpool FC for Arsenal - Liverpool Echo

Some Johnson quotes:

Liverpool Ways ‏@LiverpoolWays 1m

Johnson: “If we can keep the players that we have got here, then everything looks promising. We are all the same. We want to keep him here.”

Liverpool Ways ‏@LiverpoolWays 3m

Johnson: "You wouldn’t walk away from this club easily. We are building under Brendan. Everything is going the right way."

No, he's not.

Things didn’t get any better in the summer of 2007. Despite earlier claims of the Uruguayan he would be staying at Groningen, interest of Ajax turned his head. With FC Groningen unwilling to let their main asset go and Ajax winking seductively to the Uruguayan, Suárez and his agent took matter in their own hands.

They filed a lawsuit against FC Groningen, stating a transfer to Ajax would mean both sporting and financial improvement. The lawsuit was lost, but the damage was done. Luis Suárez had made himself intolerable to the FC Groningen-crowd. An €8 million fee + add ons saw Suárez move to Ajax the same day the verdict of the lawsuit had been spoken out. “Good riddance,” was the opinion of most FC Groningen-fans.

The Eredivisie controversies of Luis Suarez | BeNeFoot

Things didn’t get any better in the summer of 2007. Despite earlier claims of the Uruguayan he would be staying at Groningen' date=' interest of Ajax turned his head. With FC Groningen unwilling to let their main asset go and Ajax winking seductively to the Uruguayan, Suárez and his agent took matter in their own hands.

They filed a lawsuit against FC Groningen, stating a transfer to Ajax would mean both sporting and financial improvement. The lawsuit was lost, but the damage was done. Luis Suárez had made himself intolerable to the FC Groningen-crowd. An €8 million fee + add ons saw Suárez move to Ajax the same day the verdict of the lawsuit had been spoken out. “Good riddance,” was the opinion of most FC Groningen-fans.

The Eredivisie controversies of Luis Suarez | BeNeFoot

That is absolutely shocking.

If Arsenal spunk their whole transfer budget on Suarez and Ashley Williams they won't be that much stronger really. Their defense will still be shite and they will still be fucked when Wilshere gets injured again.

I don't think they will be £55 million for him though, so it will probably all come down to the legal interpretation of the contract.

Couldn't have put it better. I know for a fact that a lot of our great players of the past like Terry Mac, Hansen, Lawro, Kenny, Whelan and Barnsie turned down moves to the top Italian/Spanish sides to stay with us, at a time when those players would have been set up for life by moving. Some of our old legends might be shite pundits and maybe knobheads, but they didn't piss on the club like fellas like Suarez.