You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Sturridge

WhiskeyJar

Daniel Sturridge  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Daniel Sturridge

• We need him, get him in January
    • Not what we need. We need someone with more quality and experience
    • Not seen him play enough/Unsure about him

Given Funee's definition, I believe a little introspection on your part would be more appropriate.

Not really because I only deal in logic and logic dictates that post 91 there was no soviet. That's all that needs be said on it. You just go mixing history up in a forum topic when it suits you, its just not the gentleman thing to do. More so when the subject on hand was pretty interesting any ways.

On a side note introspection is very important practice to follow daily.

There are some people in life who never get tired of making a cunt of themselves.

Look we don't think the same I get it, but the only one degrading ones self worth is you with you constant attacks on my Persona. You do know tho anger is a self rewarding cycle and to carry it on and on is only rewarding you self with stress , stress leads to cancer. So being angry at me is killing your self, slowly.

15m could get us somebody like Mertens.

I thought you were in favour of Sturridge?

(I wasn't) - but pretty sure that you were calling for both him and Walcott in the Summer Transfer thread?

I never - I was against it for the money they would cost. But I always change my mind, without knowledge and intelligence it is the only way that I can ensure I am right.

I'm struggling to think of any soviet other than Shevchencko that has made the grade in a top European league. May be best to avoid.

That lesbian that plays for Bayern definitely has.

But they tend to stay in their own leagues, I guess. Eastern European football is improving, both in their national teams and national leagues.

Zenit beat AC Milan last night, so perhaps you can't blame Anyukov, Bystrov, etc for not feeling they have to move.

Yarmolenko is deffo good though. He's not just doing it in the Ukrainian league, he's performing well in the Champions League, and for his national team as well.

I actually think he'll get offers from much better teams than us.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I thought you were in favour of Sturridge?

(I wasn't) - but pretty sure that you were calling for both him and Walcott in the Summer Transfer thread?

I never - I was against it for the money they would cost. But I always change my mind, without knowledge and intelligence it is the only way that I can ensure I am right.

I'd like Sturridge, but if we can get Mertens for the same or less, it'd be silly not to. Him and Walcott are my ideal, as well as a central player/finisher with Suarez moving into the head of the three in a 4-2-3-1.

I do think he's a decent goalscorer, though. How suited he is to playing tipi-tapi-taki-topi, though, I'm not sure.

I'd like Sturridge, but if we can get Mertens for the same or less, it'd be silly not to. Him and Walcott are my ideal, as well as a central player/finisher with Suarez moving into the head of the three in a 4-2-3-1.

I'd rather have Mertens as well - my worry is that he won't leave now, but we need someone now - so in a sense I see Sturridge as the compromise to that. In an ideal world - we would abe able to wait and make a move for him, but I don't think we can.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I'd definitely take him, but if it's only him - and at 15m, it's not unreasonable to suggest he might be - then I don't think it's anywhere near enough. We need, in my opinion, three attacking options to make the squad strong enough to compete. Two minimum.

Not sure where the papers are getting a figure of 15m from. Considering he is out of contract in the summer he command a fee more like 5-7m tops. I think there are better players out there too in a similar situation to Sturridge who have proven themselves (Huntelaar, Llorente etc.) in their careers. I think our limited January budget could be better spent elsewhere imho.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
This Mertens fella, is he a wide forward? Winger? Best position?

I've heard his name mentioned a few times, but never seen him play. Is there any credible evidence that we are looking at him...or is it a wishlist preference for some?

Credible evidence? No, but there's nothing particularly credible about most of our reported signings. We have been linked with him, though.

http://metro.co.uk/sport/football/914246-liverpool-consider-january-bid-for-psv-winger-dries-mertens

No way we are getting Walcott and Sturridge, unless he has given up on Borini, one or the other and Walcott is clearly the better player, he does seem to have improved a lot of the past 12 months. Throw in both of them are rumored to want to play central then it just won't happen and Borini is more comfortably centrally.

Unless Suarez is off then all of a sudden having Walcott and Sturridge looks a whole less appealing. There have been rumours hopefully just shitstirring that Suarez has a buyout clause.

his attitude totally sucks dude

someone find that daily mail article from a few years back where that journalist broke into sturridges house and uncovered that secret shrine to stewart downing, i remember violently vomitting all over myself and took 2 sick days off work just to recover. seriously guys sturridge is not the man you are looking for. move along, nothing to see here.

Yarmolenko.

Make it happen, Brendan

add dzagoev from cska moscow

spend about 25m on both and give them 40k wages and we might start moving up the league a bit. both very exciting players that are better than what we have now. these are the types we should be targeting.

sturridge is worth £3/4m at the most.

I haven't watched a lot of Mertens, but a mate who follows the Eredivisie says he's brilliant. He certainly looked good in the 2 games plus highlights that I've seen of him. If Sturridge costs the same price, I can't see why we would go for him, especially given that he's reportedly asking for something north of £80k/week.

In fact, why are people even talking about £15 million for Sturridge? Chelsea are not in a strong negotiating position, and we should be talking about him as a bargain for £5 million or a bit more. They clearly don't want him, he's struggled with injury lately, he's out of contract in 18 months, and there's a distinct lack of other teams in for him. City have plenty of strikers, no reason for United to come in for him, Arsenal haven't been linked with him at all and would only start the whole "play me in the middle" complaint again with a different player. The only other team that you can see having a realistic interest is Tottenham, and I don't think they really want him or they'd already be linked.

Since we have other alternatives, we should just give them a low offer and see what happens. If they want to keep him behind Torres and whoever they bring in as their new striker, so be it - we can buy Mertens or Walcott. More likely, they'll realise that £7 million is as good as they're going to get and end up giving us to him for that price or somewhere near it at the end of the window.

Frankly, I'd be happy to give him a miss in any case (though if he comes I hope he proves me wrong). I'm not a huge fan of his; I'd much prefer Walcott. But if we are determined to buy Sturridge, I hope that we have the good sense to exploit the situation to get the best deal possible.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Mertens is the real deal, in my opinion. He'd be a great buy. Seems to make too much sense. We could get three really superb attacking options for minimal outlay. Mertens 12m, Walcott 10m, Ba 7.5m, Huntelaar 6m. Take your pick.