You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest San Don

That is probably closer to the truth.

The new TV deal bites when his new contract is due' date=' 30% wage inflation is expected.

Sterling is a player I love to watch. Sadly he is also one who will command the biggest profit if he were sold and will get generous wage terms elsewhere.

Fortunately we have Ian Ayre to handle this for us.[/quote']

Ayre bummed you over his Harley, didn't he. Come on, admit it. That's got to be were all the resentment comes from.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sell him, £35m.

If City want to fucking dance then let's fucking dance.

We've got Jordan Ibe and that Sinclair lad, who knows what level they'll be at. What I DO know is that Sterling has a lot to learn and this is the place he'll learn it, not sat on the City bench with Scott Sinclair and co. Players come and go, sunrise, sunset.

Sell him, £35m.

What happens here will tell us much.

Common sense says that you hang on to your best young players and build around them. If FSG are not prepared to finance those buys then you liquidate players who offer the maximum profit- and Sterling probably offers FSG the maximum profit, then go again hoping to make more money from shrewd buys.

Young players develop best playing first team football. Sturridge at Chelsea, and walcott at Arsenal are two examples for me of players who placed greater importance on a prestige club badge and a wage hike above doing what would improve their game.

Downing earns £60k a week which means Sterling should be on about £500k a week. Fuck it, I should be on £120k a week if that shit twat is on £60k a week.

Fucking Downing... Nope he gets bad Aids because he already has the shithouse variety.

Look what the cunt has done. Nobody winds me up as much as that cunt.

interesting use of the word "earns".

Sterling has a big future, but I'm not going to stand for being held to ransom by a 17 year old who has scored 1 senior goal.

Did we learn nothing from the Newcastle and Carroll thing? You don't look gifthorses in the mouth, you get them to suck you off and you tell them to pay you a fucking huge amount for the honour. Nobody knows what the future holds for young Sterling, but in 5 years I bet he's closer to SWP than he is to Messi.

Sterling has a big future, but I'm not going to stand for being held to ransom by a 17 year old who has scored 1 senior goal.

Did we learn nothing from the Newcastle and Carroll thing? You don't look gifthorses in the mouth, you get them to suck you off and you tell them to pay you a fucking huge amount for the honour. Nobody knows what the future holds for young Sterling, but in 5 years I bet he's closer to SWP than he is to Messi.

I f you're not going to stand being held to ransom, what exactly is your proposal to deal with it?

Guest San Don

Time will tell re sterling, whether he does want 50, 40or 30 grand a week and importantly whether city or others come sniffing. He'd be a fool to leave at this stage though as its no means certain he'd get first team football anywhere else.

I don't think £50k is so outrageous considering he's firmly a 1st team starter. Considering his age, talent and potential I think he's worth that sort of money already. But the contract needs to be long term, 5 years minimum. Seriously, if that useless shithouse Joe Cole is on £90k a week then £50k for Sterling is not unreasonable.

Why can't contracts be constructed on the basis of incremental values depending on progress? Takes more effort on an annual basis to appraise . negotiate but a lot of this can be fact based. This can co-exist alongside additonal bonus schemes.

Sterling should be paid on his contribution not his age. He has us over a barrel as the compensation we would recieve if he didn't re-sign would be much less than a transfer wedge.

Again, we got ourselves into this mess by having to play him so regularly. Ideally, introducing him for the odd game here and there so he would see a future here without attracting the attention and being elevated into the England set up (where he doesn't deserve to be and is only there to get him to commit).

Should have given him a new contract two years ago,it would have been a lot cheaper and it was obvious he was going to be a good 'un.

Sterling joined us just over 2 years ago, he was 15 at the time, and I'm pretty sure he got a good contract at the time anyway.

The next contract will make Sterling for life at probably around £12.5m over five years.

Does he possess the willand footballing desire to take that in his stride and progress on the pitch- or will it be a case of "thank you very much, now it's cruise mode"?

The coaching staff will need to make the right call on his character. Rodgers will ned to make the right call on how key he is likely to be to our footballing fortunes over the next five years. FSG will ned to make the right business call on "stick or twist", will we make more money out of developing him further than selling and reinvesting the profits?

I think that he is a very good player. I think that the club should pay what it takes to keep him on the basis that his value is only likely to increase still further.

What you are seeing now is agents realising the value of youth. Historically the older more experienced players were always the best paid players at the club. Now the tables are turning, clubs want players with resell value, the agent then says pay me pay me. If my player becomes good you could sell him for 20-30 million etc. A good 18yr old could play for the club for 7 years and still have resell value the agents will take advantage of this.

You only have to look at the 21yr old Hazard who is on 170k per week to see what is happening. It seems mad but it is probably economics at work as the wages of the 30Plus go down the wages of the youth go up.

When you're paying 60 grand a week to bollocks like Henderson, then 50 grand for Sterling doesn't seem unreasonable. Shit, if Henderson's 60 grand is the benchmark, 500 grand a week would probably be about right.

Is Henderson making 60k per week ?

I find that very hard to believe considering how much talk there's been about FSG cutting the wage bill since coming in.

When you think about what the options are, it's a no brainer really. It's sounds ridiculous but we should be glad/hoping he's not demanding more.

He would probably be one of the most sought after players in the prem if he became available. He's 17 and has got more composure and the ability to go with it than a lot early 20 year olds. Clubs blow tens of millions on players hoping they will work in the prem and give them 5 years plus service. The odd time a gem comes through the youth system of one of the big clubs. Nobody seems to have a clue what to do in terms of paying them.

Is it worth taking the risk of not giving him what he wants? He's one of the brightest stars in the prem and is pretty much a guaranteed starter already for us. Say we don't give him what he wants, how much is it going to cost to replace him now and what could the potential cost of not having him in the team in 2/3 years be?

In my opinion they need to just pay him what he wants and get on with it. If he suddenly turns shit and is on a 5 year deal worth £12m is that really that bad? We've blown more than that on transfer fees for players in the past never mind the wages we paid them and Sterling would have a sell on value.