You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Some vets take the piss!

a stoner

A couple of months ago my missus took her westie to the vets with ear problems. The vet explained that she had polips in her ear and a course of antibiotics and ear drops should clear it up but she might need surgery to remove them. Well she got the drops and antibiotics costing £65. After giving her the drops and antibiotics for the presciberd amount of time they seemed to clear up. Then they came back so she went to our local farm supplies and got the same drops for £6 making the antibiotics £59 and a bit steep if you ask me but hey ho. She took her back to the vets who told her she would need to have the op to remove then costing OVER £300!

She didn't seem impressed when I said "Fuck that I'll buy you another dog!" I then sugested she goes to another vets about 10 miles away to see what they say. She had the appointment this afternoon and the vet agreed that she would indeed need surgery to remove them and to drain the blood from her ear (which the first vet missed alltogether!) at a cost of LESS than £100!

She is booked in at 8:30 tomorrow morning to have her op and she'll be home in the afternoon.

How the fuck can one vet justify charging well over three times the amount is beyond me the fucking robbing bastards!

My cocker spaniel has currently got a yeast infection in both of his ears - it smells like brewery effluent in there the poor fella. Both his ear drums have been ruptured too.

He has so far had his ears flushed under general anaesthetic, anti fungal tablets, pain killers and ear drops that had to be specially made at a compounding pharmacy due to his lack of ear drums.

All this has failed to clear the problem and he now has a bacterial infection in there too, so we have to make an appointment with a doggy dermatologist.

Total cost so far just over $1000.

Thank the fuck for pet insurance.

Some vets do take the piss, undoubtedly. When comparing vets it is important to look at expertise / facilities as well as just price. The problem is when human healthcare is free at the point of provision and people expect this, or something approaching it for their pets.

It is really quite costly to run and properly equip a practice so higher fees are not necessarily just ending up in the boss's pocket. Plus we employ a fair few minty nurses and they don't come cheap. Nobody wants to be surrounded by pigs all day.

Lastly, the 'blood draining' procedure on the ear will be at best 35% successful. For the guy with the dog with ruptured eardrums and otitis, you need a surgeon not a dermatologist, beware of the derm guys spending all your insurance faffing about with skin tests and shit then having to pay for the ear canals coming out with your own money.

My pooch (a Westie) goes the vets today with a skin problem. Poor things itching and biting her back and tail like mad. Expecting a large Vet bill as well.

Insured, but I find it puzzling that most(not always) Vets bills always seem to come in under the surcharge fee on insurance.

Some vets do take the piss, undoubtedly. When comparing vets it is important to look at expertise / facilities as well as just price. The problem is when human healthcare is free at the point of provision and people expect this, or something approaching it for their pets.

It is really quite costly to run and properly equip a practice so higher fees are not necessarily just ending up in the boss's pocket. Plus we employ a fair few minty nurses and they don't come cheap. Nobody wants to be surrounded by pigs all day.

Lastly, the 'blood draining' procedure on the ear will be at best 35% successful. For the guy with the dog with ruptured eardrums and otitis, you need a surgeon not a dermatologist, beware of the derm guys spending all your insurance faffing about with skin tests and shit then having to pay for the ear canals coming out with your own money.

T&B hardly needs me to stick up for him but I would add that whilst some vets do take the piss, so do mechanics, plumbers etc.

I'd say it was no higher a percentage of the profession taking the piss than other industries. Probably quite a lot less actually.

My pooch (a Westie) goes the vets today with a skin problem. Poor things itching and biting her back and tail like mad. Expecting a large Vet bill as well.

Insured, but I find it puzzling that most(not always) Vets bills always seem to come in under the surcharge fee on insurance.

Ours had this a couple of years ago to the point she would pull her fur out around the base of her tail. Medical shampoo sorted it and hse doesn't do it any more.

Put it down and go on the piss.

Vets by ours do a deal, tenner a month for all your vaccinations, nail clippings, twice yearly health checks etc or a £99 fee for vaccinations for life. Is this a good deal?

If you're confident the vets isn't going to go bust the vaccinations for life deal sounds decent value.

our vet will give the mut a thorough going over as part of a standard consultation although he'll often not charge for this and never charges for nail clippings.