You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers Thread

mht1892

Got to say he was not someone who I would have backed at the start of this, but then I think I'm actually quite pleased now, cause The Swans have played some beautiful football under him, and I'm backing him to introduce that same philosophy over here, with a better squad to his disposal, of course.

He's had an impressive 1st press conference, and he's making all the right noises.

I don't give a fuck if he's not won any trophies yet, cause that will come if he's afforded the time to implement his philosophy, tactics, etc.

The potential's there for everyone to see, and I'm all excited and can't wait to see how we go about things out on the pitch under his guidance.

Time is luxury. Americans won't give him the time. So its either he do it this season or he'll get the chopped.

I have a problem with your statement saying that Rodger's Swansea team played 'beautiful' football. What do you fucking mean by that? Beautiful like Barca football? Beautiful like Brasil in the 70's? Beautiful football like Argentina in the 80's? Beautiful football like what?

Potential? What potential does Rodgers have? The ONLY potential we gonna inherit is mediocre. LFC does not exist to be a mediocre football club. We exist to win and why in the hell does someone need to say "I don't give a fuck if he's not won any trophies yet" Fucking mediocre fan! Fuck off.

Time is luxury. Americans won't give him the time. So its either he do it this season or he'll get the chopped.

I have a problem with your statement saying that Rodger's Swansea team played 'beautiful' football. What do you fucking mean by that? Beautiful like Barca football? Beautiful like Brasil in the 70's? Beautiful football like Argentina in the 80's? Beautiful football like what?

Potential? What potential does Rodgers have? The ONLY potential we gonna inherit is mediocre. LFC does not exist to be a mediocre football club. We exist to win and why in the hell does someone need to say "I don't give a fuck if he's not won any trophies yet" Fucking mediocre fan! Fuck off.

Beautiful in that he doesnt instil a hoof and hope mantra like hodgson, and instead realises the importance of every player in retaining possession and that you cant concede if you have the ball?

And the potential would be that his swansea team outperformed us over two matches, and finished only 5 points off of us despite their whole squad costing less than Downing, and that he's studied under the most glorified manager/cunt in the game?

Yes he's not Rafa, Van Gaal, Mourinho, Guardiola, etc etc, but he's not Hodgson or Purslow or Fat Head or Big Sammy etc etc.

Yes he's untried and untested at teh highest level, but he trieis (and succeeded with Swansea) to get his teams to play football the right way.

His team plays beautiful football compared to the absolute fucking dogshit served up by benitez for the best part of 6 years. Its about time we got back to playing pass and move. No more of this continental benitez hoofball shit

Beautiful like the opposite of the bloodless crud we suffered last season, I assume.

One thing slightly irritates me is the way he constantly bangs on about his style of play, pressing high up the pitch etc etc, passing teams to death etc.

Surely you should have a few game plans up yer sleeve.

Opposition managers find ways to bypass high pressing teams.

His team plays beautiful football compared to the absolute fucking dogshit served up by benitez for the best part of 6 years. Its about time we got back to playing pass and move. No more of this continental benitez hoofball shit

Do you watch football? I'm sure you cant spot the contrast between Hodgson and Benitez styles right?

You’re trying to hard mate. You can’t be a good wum if you just go from thread to thread writing stuff like this every time. It doesn’t work as everyone susses you out immediately as someone trolling.

You need to try a little bit harder kid. Be nice and gain trust and then start saying mildly negative stuff about Rafa and Kenny, etc before getting deep into it a few months later by questioning the legality of our last European Cup win or some such.

You’re a bit obvious. Get a new user name and try again.

Guest davelfc
One thing slightly irritates me is the way he constantly bangs on about his style of play, pressing high up the pitch etc etc, passing teams to death etc.

I don't see a problem with this, great teams generally have a style and you have to counter that, it's football. If you're very good at your style then other teams can struggle against you. I'd rather have his style than hodgson's boot it to the big man.

Potential? What potential does Rodgers have? The ONLY potential we gonna inherit is mediocre.

Well, you're an inspiration to us all. I hope we don't concede a goal next season, or else you're going to bloody explode in frustration given that you are slavering against a manager that has yet to even pick a side.

Rodgers has the potential to be anything, do anything - no-one knows. Except for you, apparently, you miserable sooth-sayer git.

Plan B - Hoof it to Andy. "You don't have to use short passes. Not if you want to use your big man up front."

Guest Numero Veinticinco
His team plays beautiful football compared to the absolute fucking dogshit served up by benitez for the best part of 6 years.

Yeah, that's not totally transparent.

Guest TK-421

Go on then, I'll bite.

Rafa was God like for this club. It will be at least another 20 years before we have a manager as successful as him, and all the talk in the world of tippy-tappy bellend possession football won't change that.

Im afraid Istanbul is as good as it will ever get for the rest of your life. It's all downhill from here. Enjoy....

Go on then, I'll bite.

Rafa was God like for this club. It will be at least another 20 years before we have a manager as successful as him, and all the talk in the world of tippy-tappy bellend possession football won't change that.

Im afraid Istanbul is as good as it will ever get for the rest of your life. It's all downhill from here. Enjoy....

fuck me, thats some dour shit. out of solidarity i will not be using caps for the rest of the day.

Good of you to join us, Mr Purslow.

You Sir, are an arse of a so called fucking fan, and you can go fuck your dog. I'm not standing for your b/s.

If you can't reply to my post in a decent manner, then you don't quote me at all. You're the one that should fuck off from here, you fucking moron.

I've been watching their games from last season and the game against Norwich was the perfect example of that. Norwich pressed the goalie so he was punting long. Couldn't get their passing game going as a result.

2nd half Lambert dropped an extra player into midfield and Swansea didn't know what to do. They looked like a team that had a system and didn't know how to think their way out of the problem Norwich presented.

You're not going to see us moving effortlessly through different systems of play, in-game, like we used to with benitez that's for sure.

Combine that with Swansea being in the top 5 worst teams for converting possession into chances across europe's top leagues and you do indeed wonder.

Yeah, I'm hoping rodgers has answers to the problems his system will come up against. The game is no longer 4-4-2 up and at 'em. Modern managers are routinely changing systems mid game and if you can't counter-act that then you're fucked. Barcelona were starting to get found out last season with their tiki taka shit.

Guest TK-421

Combine that with Swansea being in the top 5 worst teams for converting possession into chances across europe's top leagues and you do indeed wonder.

We were up there too, right?

I've been watching their games from last season and the game against Norwich was the perfect example of that. Norwich pressed the goalie so he was punting long. Couldn't get their passing game going as a result.

2nd half Lambert dropped an extra player into midfield and Swansea didn't know what to do. They looked like a team that had a system and didn't know how to think their way out of the problem Norwich presented.

You're not going to see us moving effortlessly through different systems of play, in-game, like we used to with benitez that's for sure.

If Rodgers can get us overachieving the way he did with Swansea we'll win the league next season, if he only does half as good a job we'd still finish in the top four.

All this revisionist shite is just that, revisionist shite, desperate to paint him in a negative light.

Parked the ball. I like it.

I have said before I had no problem with using possession to rest, and sap the opposition's strength. God only knows, great Liverpool sides of the 70s and 80s were quite happy to bore the other side (and support) into submission

But that does require a few Rush, Souness, Keegan, Dalglish, Case, heighway, Toshack type players. Players who can change that tempo and then exploit weakness ruthlessly

We have plenty of players who can pass sideways and are happy to retain possession in our own half. We don't have enough *dangerous* players. The ones who win games through skill, daring and force of will

I can see lots of possession next season. That's not enough

Slightly disingenous argument that Piscin! Better players will be better equiped to deal with tactical changes like that, they think quicker, move the ball better, and will not be frightened of hitting it longer to a player like Caroll who can hopefully prove capable of offering this option.

Last season is just a guide, as it is a different set of players with different skills and vastly inferior abilities than what he would ultimately be working with here.

Slightly disingenous argument that Piscin! Better players will be better equiped to deal with tactical changes like that, they think quicker, move the ball better, and will not be frightened of hitting it longer to a player like Caroll who can hopefully prove capable of offering this option.

Last season is just a guide, as it is a different set of players with different skills and vastly inferior abilities than what he would ultimately be working with here.

Not disingenuous at all. You can't rely on players to be able to that. Remember, Glen Johnson was part of a benitez team that changed formations on the fly. As part of a KK team, you surely can't forget that game when he was running around bemused somewhere between center back, left-back and right-back. It was embarrassing. If you don't prepare players for those kind of changes, things will go badly.

And seriously, you think the group we have has the wit to make those kind of changes on the fly. We're not talking about Xabi, Mascherano, et al here. We're talking about Adam, Downing, Carroll, etc. Carroll can't even work out when he needs to be in the box.