You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

will be a great addition to the team. Not as flash or eye catching as Young but more consistent and effective. I think we will (apart from me of course ) be pleasantly surprised what he brings to the TEAM

This.

Must admit I've only appreciated his contribution in the last 2 years. This may be down to the fact that my experience of the game is sunday league and spectator or maybe he has jut improved, or both.

He's consistent, can cope with Premiership demands and the stats back him up.

Still rate that Albrighton too !

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Downing wont be taking set pieces, and if you take away youngs goals and assists from set pieces I bet there stats are a lot closer, especially goals.

And if you take a few MPH off his speed, add a few years to his age and pretend we didn't see him creating goals, he's practically shite.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
v.quick

intelligent

got a good shot on him

can take a good free kick

can go outside the full back or cut inside to shoot

decision making in the final third is improving all the time

cost £16m

Oops, sorry, out of context that looks wrong. I meant to edit my quote to say "In what way is he [Downing] more effective [than Young]?". It was clear in the original post, but fucked up when quoting myself.

He's a solid player. Not great, but not shit, but for £20m i'd hope for a bit more than that. He's a english riera with a bit more bottle. Yes he would improve our left hand side, but lets be honest that's not really difficult. But for me a £20m player is a game changer and downing is definitley not a game changer.

I agree with what your saying mate but think you are not giving downing enough credit.I would take Downing over Malouda as he is too old and Young because he comes in field too much when we need someone who will hug the line.

I like Downing but cant disagree with those saying he will cost too much and even if we do sign him I think we still need another winger with different qualitys.

Downing will give us width and good crosses but we also need someone who has pace and likes to go past playrs.

Definitely, that's why I'm not convinced by Downing, as most of the times I've watched him against a decent full back he does all the things that our current wingers do, turn back and pass it to our full back or try to cross it from deep which gets us nowhere.

Can you really see us spending another £20m on a winger after buying Downing and putting Stewart on the bench? I can't, which is why I'd rather we get someone else in.

And if you take a few MPH off his speed, add a few years to his age and pretend we didn't see him creating goals, he's practically shite.

Or ignore the fact that a lot of his assists and goals came from situations that he would not have been in if he came here and also ignore the fact that he has been shite out wide for a couple of seasons and has played mostly behind the striker which he would not have been doing if he came here.

v.quick

intelligent

got a good shot on him

can take a good free kick

can go outside the full back or cut inside to shoot

decision making in the final third is improving all the time

cost £16m

young was in the final year of his contractm downing has two more years. also they sold youth downing still on the books, if they sell downing they'll have no wingers. downing was always going to cost more than young.

Yes. Absolutely.

He will improve us no end by giving us the kind of goal-scoring opportunities that we don't currently have within the squad.

Suarez will continue bamboozling defences with his vision, his close dribbling skills and his ability to unlock tight units with a brilliant pass, either through the middle or from either wing.

Adam will improve our ratio of scoring from corners and set-pieces.

Downing will finally give us somebody that can deliver excellent crosses from open play and put the ball right onto Andy or Stevie's head.

Opposition teams will know we can come at them with four or five different ways of creating goal-threats.

Really hope we get him.

Definitely, that's why I'm not convinced by Downing, as most of the times I've watched him against a decent full back he does all the things that our current wingers do, turn back and pass it to our full back or try to cross it from deep which gets us nowhere.

Can you really see us spending another £20m on a winger after buying Downing and putting Stewart on the bench? I can't, which is why I'd rather we get someone else in.

My opinion is that we needed atleast 2 wide players going in to this window so I hope that is what the club are trying to do, we were trying to sign that french guy so I hope its still the case.

Seeing as we spent 13-16m on henderson a player in a position we were already well stocked in I am holding on to the belief that we will be signing players for our priority position,if this is not the case we have gone about things the wrong way.

if downing is an accurate crosser of the ball (and he is) does it matter if he crosses from a deep or advanced position?

My opinion is that we needed atleast 2 wide players going in to this window so I hope that is what the club are trying to do, we were trying to sign that french guy so I hope its still the case.

Seeing as we spent 13-16m on henderson a player in a position we were already well stocked in I am holding on to the belief that we will be signing players for our priority position,if this is not the case we have gone about things the wrong way.

Yeah, my criticism of Downing is based on the fact I can't see us signing another, better winger after we've signed him for £20m, if we do then I won't bothered, if we don't then I can see us struggling to get top 4 with Downing as our first choice left winger.

if downing is an accurate crosser of the ball (and he is) does it matter if he crosses from a deep or advanced position?

When you cross from deep its harder to get power on the ball.