You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

NHL thread

Dan

Perhaps I was a little harsh on 'Saint' Patrick. Remember, as a Bruins fan I am required to hate all Canadiens. Clearly you have some strong feelings about him.

The point(s) I was trying to make with the Tim Thomas 'tribute' was 1.) he was more of less universally liked (or respected) for his achievements, and 2.) that the Canucks were pussies. Call it gloating, but I think it is a fair statement.

I think you were equally to blame for the trash talk, as you first described Thomas and the videos as 'low rent', which is equally absurd.

Thomas and Roy are completely different individuals - on and off the ice. I'm far more comfortable with Thomas and I think he is every bit as worthy as Roy.

We'll just agree to disagree on this one ?

p.s. sorry for the neg. I just really hate Roy (probably drank too much last night as well).

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 6 months later...

Detroit has broken the NHL record for consecutive home wins tonight with their 21st in a row. (3-1 vs Dallas). The previous record of 20 was held by the Bruins of 1929/30 and the 1975/76 Flyers, which the Red Wings equalled on Sunday.

Lead the league too at the moment, and I swear this team isn't as talented as other Red Wings teams of the last few years, they have an overflow of bottom-six forwards and dodgy 5/6th D-men, yet they still win.

One of the best-run organisations in US sports.

And it's great to have interest in sports other than the one that can't be named, for obvious reasons. A relief and a pleasure in comparison atm.

• 1 month later...

It's the NHL Playoffs again. Awesome.

Wings start on the road in Nashville. I don't rate this Wings team much compared to recent teams, but they are usually able to get up for the playoffs. They're very undersized, all in all, don't have enough size or grit for my liking, and could do with another top line forward. But we've just got to make the best of what we've got.

Philly vs the Pens and Kings v Canucks the other games tonight.

My shout for the cup is Pittsburgh. The friggers are 1-0 up already.

• 2 weeks later...

Both the Red Wings and the Penguins might be eliminated tonight.

I expect the Wings to be cos they're a big bag of shite this year. The Penguins/Flyers series is hilarious though, the goaltending and defence are absolute shite. Total goalfest.

Canucks also 3-1 down, think they play Sunday.

Looks like it could be an underdog that wins Lord Stanley this year.

Detroit the first team eliminated this year. Doesn't happen too often.

I hope its a busy summer. Maybe if Lidstrom retires it would spur Kenny Holland into proper action, rather than papering over the cracks like the last few years.

Zetterberg just about the only player who performed. Next captain for sure.

Just hope the Kings dont blow it and let Vancouver back in series.

Wish it was on ESPN still that Premier Sports is shite, really miss watching it this year.

I hear the Pens/Flyers fighting series is superb...

Yeah, I had ESPN last year and it was great. This year I didn't even know they weren't showing it until well into the season. But I kept it for the footie until the new year, then I cancelled it.

I caught most Detroit games on streams, but I'm missing out on the other games. Hopefully someone besides Premier/Setanta show it next year.

• 1 month later...

Nicklas Lidstrom is going to announce his retirement today. One of the greatest players of all time. I guess he'll probably go down as the 2nd best Defenceman of all time behind Bobby Orr.

Obviously not much to do with how good he still is, I mean, he scored a hattrick for the first time in his career last season, at the age of 41!

Wings are completely screwed now. They need to get Ryan Suter and Zach Parise in free agency, and there's no guarantee they'll even make that far. And even then, with no Lidstrom, it's a very different team.

As for the Stanley Cup, I haven't been watching it at all to be honest, as I'm up early these days and don't have it on TV. Looks like it's LA's year as they lead New Jersey in the Final 1-0.

• 2 weeks later...

So LA win the Stanley Cup, 4-2. Funny how they scraped into the playoffs 8th place in the West. Strange SC this year, with almost all of the 'favourites' going out in the first round. You had the likes of Dustin Penner for LA getting game winners in the playoffs, after being described as 'horseshit' by his coach in February, and having injured himself earlier in the season eating some delicious pancakes. Dustin Brown was apparently available for trade near the deadline, and he turns out pretty great for them too. Can't imagine Philly fans would be overly pleased to see Carter and Richards lift the cup for LA either.

Funny old NHL season.

• 10 months later...
  • 8 years later...