You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

NHL thread

Dan

Here's a question: Who has been the best commentator or best commentating pair in the NHL?

I'm no doubt too recent, but Gary Thorne (I think he does college hockey now) and Bill Clement are pretty cool. They're also on the NHL video games. But when the Wings won their first cup (in 42 years) Gary Thorne was there to say 'McCarty draws, McCarty in... McCarty SCOOOOORES! A magnificent goal, Darren McCarty!'

My two favourite players were Darren McCarty and Brendan Shanahan, because they both have Irish names (even though Darren was adopted) and Shanny was a Brendan the same as myself... McCarty got revenge on Claude Lemieux at Fight Night At The Joe in March of that year, and he was just awesome, and an awesome, skill goal. Love him til this day (4 cups!)

Also love that Gary Thorne's New England origins obviously come out in that he screams 'Darren McCaaaaaady'! One of my favourite goals and favourite clips to watch....

I have a friend who is the spitting image of Brendan Shanahan.

He was a great player...don't like Detroit very much though.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In Vancouver, the fans are not really that committed or sophisticated. When things are going well, okay...but as soon as they lose then everyone stars booing. For that reason, I'm not a big Canucks fan.

I dunno about that Neko. Back in the day, the Canucks were playing in the Pacific Coliseum and the fans were different. Thick and thin, they supported the team.

Now? It's like the Maple Leafs... The only people who can afford to go are businessmen who don't really give a shit. A lot of Psuedo-Canuck fans wind me up to no end, but they are my hometown team, so I gotta represent.

That said? I understand the aversion. I pretty much will cheer for any Canadian Team, these days, except Toronto, because of their fans.

I think its more important for Canada to have a cup winning team than hope for one team's glory.

I've always been a big flames fan, as well, cus I grew up during the battle of Alberta... but when Edmonton were in the Cup Finals the other year, I was cheering for them hard.

Go Canada -- Go Canucks

What a game tonight, Sharks - Wings. Wings dominated the game, but Niemi stood on his head for most of it, then the Sharks scored in the 3rd period. Wings get 2 and an empty netter late on.

It's going to Game 7, what a series!

Fantastic game to watch though.

All right, so it's over for the Wings. Although I didn't rate them much this year, they did play great to come back from 3 games down to make it a series. They lost Cleary and Bertuzzi in this game too, already without Franzen, what can you do.

I'll be cheering for the Canucks in the Western Conference Finals though for sure. Don't mind if they, the Lightning or the Bruins win it all, so long as someone knocks out Jumbo Joe Fuckhead.

I apologise for invading this thread with my ignorance, but I'm travelling to Vancouver for a couple of weeks on sunday and hoped to take in some local sports while I was there. Though having read this...

Now? It's like the Maple Leafs... The only people who can afford to go are businessmen who don't really give a shit. A lot of Psuedo-Canuck fans wind me up to no end, but they are my hometown team, so I gotta represent.

...I assume it's a bit of a no go? Is it the equivalent of some Canadians coming to England hoping to pop into a certain place and hoping to watch the semi-final of a major competition?

I apologise for invading this thread with my ignorance, but I'm travelling to Vancouver for a couple of weeks on sunday and hoped to take in some local sports while I was there. Though having read this...

...I assume it's a bit of a no go? Is it the equivalent of some Canadians coming to England hoping to pop into a certain place and hoping to watch the semi-final of a major competition?

Money can buy I lot of things, but it would take a fortune to get a Canucks playoff ticket.

Trust me, you'll enjoy it just as much in any decent bar downtown. Spend your money on food and drink.

Any other tips or advice on what to do, just send me a PM. The weather has been absolute record shit and cold this spring, but it is bound to get better soon.

All right, so it's over for the Wings. Although I didn't rate them much this year, they did play great to come back from 3 games down to make it a series. They lost Cleary and Bertuzzi in this game too, already without Franzen, what can you do.

I'll be cheering for the Canucks in the Western Conference Finals though for sure. Don't mind if they, the Lightning or the Bruins win it all, so long as someone knocks out Jumbo Joe Fuckhead.

I was cheering for the Red Wings on your behalf, Kinky. I thought they would be a better opponent for the Canucks.

I'm going with Boston and Vancouver, and shockingly, I'll be cheering for my Bruins to win it all.

Either of those two in the final would be good though. The other two would be shit. Nobody would watch a Tampa/San Jose final...everyone will be out sun tanning.

I was cheering for the Red Wings on your behalf, Kinky. I thought they would be a better opponent for the Canucks.

I'm going with Boston and Vancouver, and shockingly, I'll be cheering for my Bruins to win it all.

Either of those two in the final would be good though. The other two would be shit. Nobody would watch a Tampa/San Jose final...everyone will be out sun tanning.

Two concussions in last night's game alone, from two freak collisions, taking out 2 of our top 6 forwards, with one of our stars already out, it was a surprise they were as competitive as they were in the end. Oh well. Datsyuk is a beast, undoubtedly my favourite player.

Another bonus is I don't have to stay up til 5am watching the fuckers!

I suspect it will be Vancouver v Boston, but Tampa Bay are an interesting team - they seem to play it very tight. You're right about the sunbathers though... Anybody but San Jose will do for me.

ATLANTA THRASHERS ARE MOVING BACK TO WINNIPEG!!!!

Now... Canucks up 2-0 in Series is ace. Bruins are up 2-1 now...

I hope Canucks can get a win in San Jose!

bruins played a very disciplined, dominant playoff game tonight.

love to see my second round prediction come true....bruins vs canucks.

looking good.

If the Thrashers move to Winnipeg, then it'll be interesting to see how the teams change divisionally. Detroit apparently had an agreement from years ago that if a team moved West then they'd go back to the Eastern Conference, which would be pretty sweet. I can't see it happening though, because the Wings are pretty decent for tv money markets where they are. Also, Detroit and Chicago being in the West balances out the original six teams and maintains a rivalry.

I guess Winnipeg could move to the Central, and Nashville move to the Southeast. Nashville is closest to Atlanta, but they're also in a Central time zone, so maybe not.

Or Columbus could go - although rewarding them with less travel seems a bit odd since they're an expansion team and have been overall pretty poor.

I'd love to see Detroit back in the East but I doubt it will happen.

Also, I think I heard something about nothing changing until 2012-2013 season, which will mean some stupid travel arrangements for Winnipeg and its Southeast divisional partners next year.

Edited by KinskiRage

I think the greatest thing to see is the belief, and the killer instinct.

In the first round, the Canucks couldn't close out Chicago and still had those nagging doubts. Nashville was the lesson reinforced, and this time, they fought back to not let it happen again. Win in 7, Win in 6, Win in 5... That's the right trend.

It's a beautiful thing.

tumblr_llvyg0cPWz1qbzfur

I'm so pleased that either the Canucks or my beloved Bruins will win the cup this year.

Hoping for a good final, but Tim Thomas is going to have to steal a game or two if this is going to be close.

Canucks in six, but my heart is with Boston.