You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

pro tools! help needed please!

col68

any muso's on here help me out with what the fuck you do on pro tools? trying to record simple songs just me singing with my guitar. using interface and pro tools essential but havent a clue what im doing? any help would be appreciated ! thanks col

Simon, the full pro version is state of the art and costs £££ but the 'essential' version is lower end software and sells for less than £100.

I've never used protools of any kind so I'm not actually a lot of use to you. I've used a bit of cubase though and it took me about a week to twig that you need to set up the pc soundcard first to handle the audio i/o, the manual tells you nothing about that.

You can disappear up your arse very quickly with that kind of software so try to concentrate on the essentials; find out how to set up seperate channels for guitar and voice and mess about with the settings to get used to the controls. Getting a good, clean recording is 95% of the job whatever system you're using.

Guest simon
Simon, the full pro version is state of the art and costs £££ but the 'essential' version is lower end software and sells for less than £100.

I've never used protools of any kind so I'm not actually a lot of use to you. I've used a bit of cubase though and it took me about a week to twig that you need to set up the pc soundcard first to handle the audio i/o, the manual tells you nothing about that.

You can disappear up your arse very quickly with that kind of software so try to concentrate on the essentials; find out how to set up seperate channels for guitar and voice and mess about with the settings to get used to the controls. Getting a good, clean recording is 95% of the job whatever system you're using.

Pro tools requires a huge set up mate. I know because my mate was looking at a recording studio and he asked me to get him everything for it.

That's true Simon, it's not just software it's a professional recording set up including controllers, mixing board, processors - the lot. However Protools Essential is just software, less sophisticated software, and a basic audio/digital interface. It's designed to install on any pc and isn't really any different to Cubase or Reason.

Guest simon
That's true Simon, it's not just software it's a professional recording set up including controllers, mixing board, processors - the lot. However Protools Essential is just software, less sophisticated software, and a basic audio/digital interface. It's designed to install on any pc and isn't really any different to Cubase or Reason.

Oh right didnt know about that nyways i really like Reason. Cubase takes some getting used to i think So much stuff on it.

It does seem overly complicated I know, but once you get the hang of it you'll be well away.

Some very handy guides on youtube, and there's a monthly periodical that gives tutorials. I can't remember what it's called though!

I use Logic personally.

Oh, and check if you're recording in stereo or mono. Often the simplest thing are overlooked because it's a bit bamboozling.

thanks for advice i may just go for something simpler. Its a nightmare to use. Got where i can record now but not coming out mixed, ie , i got vocals in left headphone and guitar in right! How do you mix it nightmare!

Sounds like you've just got the two tracks panned hard left and right, probably had to set them up that way to record them seperate. Stick with it, even if you use something simpler you'll still need to get your head around using different channels.

Sounds like you've just got the two tracks panned hard left and right, probably had to set them up that way to record them seperate. Stick with it, even if you use something simpler you'll still need to get your head around using different channels.

I think they're set in the middle as default so that shouldn't happen.

Can you post a screen-grab Col?

sorry about not getting back sooner. Should i be recording in stereo? Pan button is dead centre. Im trying to logically work thru it but its a bit of a twat doesnt always do what it did the last time i press a certain button etc if you know what i mean? Feller in shop said it was really simple to use? The twat!

Pro tools requires a huge set up mate. I know because my mate was looking at a recording studio and he asked me to get him everything for it.

You can pick it up at a reasonable price mate, its the hardware like Control 24 desks and Pro Tools HD that costs a bomb, but the software as a standalone can now be used with many audio cards and costs about £200 .

any muso's on here help me out with what the fuck you do on pro tools? trying to record simple songs just me singing with my guitar. using interface and pro tools essential but havent a clue what im doing? any help would be appreciated ! thanks col

Check you are routing the input and output audio correctly mate.

Should be an option on each channel strip in the mixer window for that. See below.

Where you see "A-1" etc, click them boxes until you see this.

IMG00052-20110119-1335.jpg

sorry about not getting back sooner. Should i be recording in stereo? Pan button is dead centre. Im trying to logically work thru it but its a bit of a twat doesnt always do what it did the last time i press a certain button etc if you know what i mean? Feller in shop said it was really simple to use? The twat!

Either or mate really, I always record in Mono personally, but up to you..

It will become easier once you've had a few goes, always best to fumble yer way round, its more rewarding then.

thanks for advice! will stick with it . ive got this far and managed to record myself at last! thanks anyways col

Keep with it Col, before you know it you'll have 40 tunes in your back catalogue and they will randomly come on at parties (if you use your laptop/PC to play your music collection) and people will either ignore it or ask "Who's that Col? Sounds good"

That is how me and my mates dropped Pork Trousers ono the world.