You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

I see your point if we are working off a defined budget of say £50m. In reality that wont be the case. It would be more likely within a range. Kenny and Camolli will have a number of players we are interested in and if we can get those by having go to the top end of our budget then I think we will be allowed to do that. For too long we have been pulling out of transfer deals over a couple of million pounds. Its not about allowing ourselves to be ripped off but about getting our first choice players. If I remember correctly I think someone, it may even have been you, said that our disagreeing on the players valuation is becoming like the bitters medical.

I see your point if we are working off a defined budget of say £50m. In reality that wont be the case. It would be more likely within a range. Kenny and Camolli will have a number of players we are interested in and if we can get those by having go to the top end of our budget then I think we will be allowed to do that. For too long we have been pulling out of transfer deals over a couple of million pounds. Its not about allowing ourselves to be ripped off but about getting our first choice players. If I remember correctly I think someone, it may even have been you, said that our disagreeing on the players valuation is becoming like the bitters medical.

Ha! You're not allowed to quote me to prove your own point! I did say that though, but I didn’t mean it to say we should start paying double figures or vastly over the odds. I was pointing out to us bidding €12m for Suarez when he was minimum a €20m player. Basically bidding laughably low amounts.

Look, I agree with your hypothesis when talking about reasonable fees. But your example of £20m for Dann being a fair price is, to me, vastly paying over what a player is worth.

You are right that Dalglish and Comoilli will have a budget that they will be allowed break if they can prove long-term value for money. But only if they break it with cost viable figures and not some lavish expenditure, and that's how I think it should be.

Dann is a scouser and a red I believe.

If his name was Dannski i'm sure people would be creaming

Hmmm, in all fairness if you look back at the last couple of pages, posters people have been critical of a number of foreign players! And people have often said that if Lucas was called Lee and from Huyton he would get half the amount of criticism (not suggesting this is true, just what was said)!

I think 8 million will get him, and I think that there is no reason for this not to happen. I suppose the obvious transfers will be the easiest i.e. Dann, Adam and Enrique.

Cahill will cost City £20M.

Yeah, it looks like someone is going to pay silly money for Cahill. I think the fact that our focus has switched to Dann suggests that the competition for Cahill is a bit too fierce and Jones is maybe overpriced. As you say, Cahill will probably end up going to City or Arsenal for £15+ million. If we can get Dann for about £8 million (tops) then I'd say we've gotten the better deal.

Yes, and every one of them turns into Cannavaro, obviously.

It's stupid to buy a player that has an obvious physical deficiency for their natural position (ie: wingers with no pace) unless their ability makes up for it ALREADY.

JC, Baresi and Puyol all under 6ft too.

I'm sure people writ them off early doors due to height too.

Just pointing out, being under 6ft and a CB doesnt mean it wont work out

Dann is no better than Skrtel or Carra, so his signing would make little sense to me. Along with attacking wide players I think central defence is our weakest area, I think we need two centre backs that are better than Skrtel and Carra who become our squad players.

JC, Baresi and Puyol all under 6ft too.

I'm sure people writ them off early doors due to height too.

Just pointing out, being under 6ft and a CB doesnt mean it wont work out

No, but that list of 10 reaches from Legends of the game to pretty decent players. That's the real story on short defenders.

You may still think I am clueless but that is not for want of trying as I have tried to look at them play but although they played well against us I have seen them both have shockers and nothing in between convincing as I didn't find Birmingham got all there clean sheets from anything but teamwork mainly rather than 2 centre backs stopping everything as normally teams didn't get than far. Time will tell though and I don't mind being wrong on him due to a lack of info if anything, I hope we don't spent he summer overspending on jarg hyped up English players.

The tooth is talking sense here. One of the reasons they went down was being too defensive.

We really could do with a player who is comfortable on the ball rather than blasting it into row z. it takes a lot of pressure of the team.