You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anfield or New Anfield

Cherry Ghost

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we stay and redevelop Anfield what will the implications be on the Anfield Regeneration Programme?

I would be very interested to see proposed plans of what a redeveloped Anfield would look like, how much it would cost and what the timescale and disruption would be.

Is it feasible to add an extra tier & additional executive boxes to the Centenary and Main Stands ? ie. is there sufficient space and would there be right of light issues?

Could we demolish and rebuild the Anfield Rd end with the road running under the stand?

Could a second tier be added to the Kop?

anfield_aerial_view.jpg

liverpool_aerial.jpg

liverpool_aerial.jpg

When you see this image it's not the Anfield Road or Main Stands that are the problem - it's the Centenary Stand.

In 1992 when it was redeveloped all they did was stick an extra tier on top. When you see the space behind it now it showed a real lack of foresight not to knock the Kemlyn stand down completely and rebuild it with a bigger lower tier and upper tier. Something more like this:

west_stand_stamford_bridge.jpg

A multi tiered main stand would be a better use of space than the current structure too.

I've no idea who owns the properties behind the main stand now but I think there were plans for the council to pull them down and build new homes there.

I've no idea who owns the properties behind the main stand now but I think there were plans for the council to pull them down and build new homes there.

Think we own many behind the Main stand but sold those behind the Centenary to an affordable housing/regeneration project. The Kop and Anny ends have roads behind them. It's doable but I think the costs and planning issues would dissuade a new owner.

If we're not careful, over time we may run out of options and give more ammunition to those pro-groundshare. SP option expires in April.

I actually like the plans for Stanley Park and would hope that we haven't lost all the money we've already pumped into it. I understand some of that money has probably been syphoned off into the pockets of H&G but we've deffo spent a huge amount.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the building of New Anfield also be the best thing that could happened for residents of L4 and the local economy?

The houses behind Anfield Road have gone now, couldn't we build a larger stand as a stop gap relatively cheaply, then look to build a new stadium further down the line?

If we could get capacity up to say 50-52,000 we'd see quite a boost from matchday income without the need for saddling ourselves with £350 million debt again.

I actually like the plans for Stanley Park and would hope that we haven't lost all the money we've already pumped into it. I understand some of that money has probably been syphoned off into the pockets of H&G but we've deffo spent a huge amount.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the building of New Anfield also be the best thing that could happened for residents of L4 and the local economy?

In an ideal world we would get the new stadium , but if the difference in cost is £200m/£250m then you can see why the refurb is being looked at seriously, particularly in the present economic climate.

As to the locals, I would assume that some renovation of the area/infrastructure would be part of an Anfield refurb, but I seem to remember that it was complaints from people in the area that led to delays in the planning process in the first place so I don't have massive sympathy.

On a side point, the constant moaning and letters to the Echo about parking during Liverpool & Everton matches makes me laugh, as I am fairly sure that none of the people involved have lived in the houses since before 1892 and were happy with the reduced purchase prices at the time.

The houses behind Anfield Road have gone now, couldn't we build a larger stand as a stop gap relatively cheaply, then look to build a new stadium further down the line?

If we could get capacity up to say 50-52,000 we'd see quite a boost from matchday income without the need for saddling ourselves with £350 million debt again.

With the houses in Anfield Rd demolished, we may be able to re-build a larger Anfield Rd end with the road passing underneath the stand. The North stand at Manchester United has a road passing underneath, and when West Ham were looking to rebuild their East stand they were seeking permission to build a stand over Priory Rd which allowed the buses to pass underneath.

With the houses in Anfield Rd demolished, we may be able to re-build a larger Anfield Rd end with the road passing underneath the stand. The North stand at Manchester United has a road passing underneath, and when West Ham were looking to rebuild their East stand they were seeking permission to build a stand over Priory Rd which allowed the buses to pass underneath.

It's plausible as it's not a very busy road. Though the road under the stand at Old Trafford isn't a public one anymore. I'm sure they could even move the road back a few metres and have it curve around the stand on the land where the houses used to be.

It's plausible as it's not a very busy road. Though the road under the stand at Old Trafford isn't a public one anymore. I'm sure they could even move the road back a few metres and have it curve around the stand on the land where the houses used to be.

What is the plan for the houses in Lothair Rd, will they be refurbished as part of the Anfield Regeneration Programme or demolished? If it is the latter, then that could free up significant space to build a larger main stand.

Even if we stay at Anfield and redevelop all 4 stands, it could prove to be just as time consuming and costly as building a new stadium.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest San Don
When you see this image it's not the Anfield Road or Main Stands that are the problem - it's the Centenary Stand.

In 1992 when it was redeveloped all they did was stick an extra tier on top. When you see the space behind it now it showed a real lack of foresight not to knock the Kemlyn stand down completely and rebuild it with a bigger lower tier and upper tier. Something more like this:

A multi tiered main stand would be a better use of space than the current structure too.

Although Im coming round to accept that re developing Anfield will be the only option due to finance, any extention to the then Kemlyn Road stand was limited.

Kemlyn Road stand was designed and built with the intention of another tier on top. As we all know, it took years before that idea came to fruition but the designs for the upper tier were always constrained by the existing structure and more importantly, space.

The upper tier added 6000 seats but the view from row 15 back to 19 is pretty shite. The players are like ants. Sticking another tier on isnt possible IMO but even if it was, the view would be appalling. If anyone doesnt believe me just get a ticket for row 19 on any match day then tell me sticking another 3 or 4thousand seats behind that wouldnt be just an exercise of getting more into the ground rather than giving people a decent view and amenities!

Anny Road and the Main stand which still has part of the original structure in it when extended in 1970, are the only options for re development on the current site.

Guest San Don
Peter McGurk has designed a redeveloped Anfield which is a 2 phased project.

Click on the image of The Westfalenstadium for option A.

redeveloped anfield

Good god! That is a piss poor site for someone who's supposed to be a professional.

And I think he's off pat suggestting the re design is a two phase exercise, its more like 4 separate phases.

Still, the concept looks quite good.

That second option is a mess. The roof would barely cover the stands. As for the first option, there would be massive issues with the pitch due to the height of the stands.

I still think the best design is a modified version of the Allianz Arena. One end could be designed as a single tier Kop and it would still look seamless. It would fulfil the requirements of capacity, have the fans close to the pitch, great views for all, a significant increase in corporate seating, and modern technology to cater for acoustics and pitch management.

The techies on here might appreciate this brilliant bit of sketchup work that I stumbled across the other day.

History of Anfield by Mike - Google 3D Warehouse

I'd love us to stay on the site of anfield, but for me personally i want to see any future developments include significant improvements to the immediate surrounding area. If that means building a new stadium and all the new facilities that would entail to provide jobs etc to the local community.

I'm not from the area but i have felt over the years that the club is becoming very isolated in its own community. A redeveloped Anfield would please me but it would have to include new developments surrounding the ground i.e youth training, education centres and business suites etc... Just adding a few thousands seats to anfield is not the solution we need.

Peter McGurk has designed a redeveloped Anfield which is a 2 phased project.

Click on the image of The Westfalenstadium for option A.

redeveloped anfield

Haven't the houses behind the Centenary been redeveloped? What about Anfield Rd?

The proposal seems to ignore planning regs on height/light to neighbours and take it for granted we can build on all the surrounding footprint. I'd also love to know the costing.

And it's looks a bit like Old Trafford....

New stadium definately. we need at least a 60k seater to compete financially .The infrastructure is already in place.

I love anfield, and if there was a way to add another 20k seats (or standing area) then that would be great, but i cant see how they could do it.

It isn't.

There's loads of room behind the Anny road end if they put the road underneath or moved the road. Room behind the Centenary. Room behid the Main stand and a big chunk in the corner between the Kop and the Main could be filled in. Easily hit 60,000.

Have a wander round on Google maps and you'll see. Or look when you go on Sunday. It is doable dependent on the new guys sorting things with the council and planning.

Would much rather redevelop Anfield and have a scary intimidating ground for the oppostion, rather than a mute, passionless bowl like the Emirates or any of the others.