You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Your Family Unit

Paulie Dangerously

How close are they?

I moved out of my Mum & Dads 3 years ago now when I was 24. I had always lived there and an opportunity arose to move in with a mate only about 15 minutes down the road so I took it. Being the youngest obviously my ma was devvod, and especially when a few a few months later my brother moved out as well leaving her nest well and truly empty.

3 years on we still have a close knit family unit with the four of us. Every week we have 'Tea at Mums Tuesday' when me and my bro will go round and have our tea at the family table. On a sunday we go round for one of my mums legendary english breakfasts and once or twice a week we'll pop down to have a few scoops with my old man in the local boozer.

I can see us doing this as long as we're all in roughly the same area as it's become our routine now.

How do you get on with your family unit? When you moved out did you keep close contact? Do you see them a lot and have little routines? Do you not bother and only see them at Christmas time?

I'm very close to my unit I moved out at 18 for Uni and discounting a short stint at home after uni I have lived away. My Brother is the only one still living there.

I go up every month or so to visit and as I have quite a large family 3 sisters and 1 brother, we talk very regularly and I speak to one family member every day (and they are the same) on the phone and that includes my sister who lives in Oz.

I'm the maternal figure of the family unit. Even for my mother, if someone needs anything it's always me that turns up, if someone needs something practical it's nearly always me. Anyone ends up in hospital it's guaranteed to be me to do the running around.

How often i see them? My mum about once a fortnight, Brother #1 about once every 2 months, brother #2 about once a month, my sister about once every 2 months.

When my nan was a alive my aunt and her children plus my mum, myslef and my 4 would meet once a fortnight in hers for sunday lunch, a bit cruel expecting her to cook a meal for 15 or so when she was in a wheel chair now i look back on it. Boss sundays all the same.

Edit, forgot to say left my mothers home when i was 13, lived in my own place from a month before i turned 16. Self sufficient me.

I don't see much of them at all lately, but that's only because we're so busy. I don't feel as close to my Mum as I used to be. I seem to piss her off very easily, but I don't take it personally as everyone pisses my Mum off. I still love her to bits though, and my 2 brothers. My kids are very close to them too. I've also got a half brother and half sister that I never see, and another half sister that I keep in touch with but only see about once a year. I haven't really had any contact with my Dad for over 10 years now, apart from random meetings at the shops (he lives locally) where we play along with a ridiculous charade of asking how the other one is and feigning an interest in the answer.