You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

If you ever stop negging me, I might lower myself to reply to someone like you.

Now go and troll someone else for no reason you horrible fuck.

I was asking a genuine question but it was inevitable you wouldn't reply properly seeing as it was a lie. You have anger issues. You should see someone Strontium Dog. It can't be healthy for your home life. 

I was asking a genuine question but it was inevitable you wouldn't reply properly seeing as it was a lie. You have anger issues. You should see someone Strontium Dog. It can't be healthy for your home life.

Having a different opinion to you is not the same as lying.

And I don't have anger issues, I have cunt issues. Big difference.

Having a different opinion to you is not the same as lying.

And I don't have anger issues, I have cunt issues. Big difference.

It wasn't about opinions? You dodged a question about you evidencing something you had said straight after you had said the same thing to Dennis. I think you should change your name to Hypocrisy Dog. 

And yes, you being a cunt must be a big issue. 

All you've ever done is make things up. Supporters of freedom are fascists. Supporters of democracy are supporters of slavery. Supporters of democracy are supporters of terrorism. Enemies of authoritarianism are authoritarians. Enemies of racism are racists. Defending yourself makes you a murderer. It doesn't matter what liberal cause it is, you will find a way of turning it on its head.

I believe all shit jokes now have to be vetted for racism. Didn't you get the memo?

No SD. He just doesn't post racist comments. It's not a memo that would stop someone posting something racist, it's human decency. 

That said, I don't think your post was racist. It was a bit Ukip though. 

All you've ever done is make things up. Supporters of freedom are fascists. Supporters of democracy are supporters of slavery. Supporters of democracy are supporters of terrorism. Enemies of authoritarianism are authoritarians. Enemies of racism are racists. Defending yourself makes you a murderer. It doesn't matter what liberal cause it is, you will find a way of turning it on its head.

Will I?

Im not a liberal so perhaps your nuerotic behavior is a matter of perspective allied to poor use of words that were not defined by me and your lack of understanding of the meaning of them.

IDS's interview with Andrew Marr was utterly surreal.

He appears to think he's some sort of cross between Martin Luther King and Che Guevara.

I was watching it, just waiting for the tears to start falling, either that or a bolt of lightning to strike him dead. 

He's not resigned from Government though, has he? Just his position as Work and Pensions secretary. 

Do you have a list, I can add them to my "Idiots to Ignore" file.

Few cats in here, Lib Dem MEP, plus I think Jeremy Browne wrote the biography. 

http://www.newstatesman.com/uk-politics/2011/09/clegg-tory-liberal-party

The consensus is that the "something different" about Clegg is that he is a different kind of Liberal Democrat from his predecessors as party leader. He is on the right where they were on the left, and what made him opt for the Lib Dems rather than the Tories was not "a better form of politics", but rather one issue - Europe.

Clegg's Europeanism stems as much from lifestyle as from conviction: the Spanish wife, Dutch mother and Russian grandparents; the career in Brussels; the fluency in four European languages. This accounts for the difference in his liberalism, too. His free-market libertarianism is common in right-wing liberal parties on the Continent, and he has little rapport with the 20th-century social-democratic tradition that dominated the Liberal Party and its successors from Asquith, Lloyd George, Keynes and Beveridge through to Roy Jenkins, Paddy Ashdown and Charles Kennedy. Indeed, Bowers notes that until he became an MP in 2005, after five years as an MEP, Clegg "had very little knowledge of Britain politically".

Thus Chris Davies, a Liberal Democrat MEP and friend of the leader's, says: "I think of him more as a Continental liberal than perhaps a mainstream British liberal." Andrew Duff, another Lib Dem MEP, observes: "If the Conservative Party had been how it used to be under Edward Heath, Nick would be a Tory, albeit a natural liberal, pro-European Tory like Chris Patten and Ken Clarke."

His Tory friends agree. According to Brittan, Clegg "didn't like Labour at all and didn't like the Conservatives enough. He was very unhappy with the Conservatives' European policy." Vaizey says he is "essentially Tory but divided by one issue, in his case Europe".

The journalist John Palmer, who knew Clegg well in Brussels, links Europe to his neoliberalism. "His work with Leon [brittan] in and around the single market and competition policy probably had quite a strong influence on him. He was quite markedly to the right of some of his colleagues."

The matter of Europe apart, Clegg fits the Cameroon glove in background, outlook, style, the lot. The English side of his family could hardly be more establishment.

The son of a wealthy Buckinghamshire banker, educated at prep school and Westminster like his grand­father (his father was at Bryanston), he emerges from this biography as a Home Counties, public-school, dutiful Tory in largely the same mould as David Cameron and George Osborne. Which is why, given the choice last year, he opted to form a coalition with them rather than stand aside from a Tory government, or negotiate a "confidence and supply" agreement with the Conservatives, or form a coalition with Labour - all credible options.

He told his party there was "no alternative". Margaret Thatcher said that, too, yet this is never true in politics. To govern is to choose, said Pierre Mendès France, and the choices reveal the leader. In Clegg's case, the choice was not only to coalesce with the Tories, but also to support their economic policy without compromise, and even to front the trebling of university tuition fees. Significantly, Bowers reports that Clegg supported tuition fees before the election, but was too weak within his own party - and too much of an opportunist - to take on the membership or tell the voters.

His Tory inclinations are all the clearer in his statements during the election to the effect that, in the event of a hung parliament, he would negotiate first with the largest party as a matter of principle. As he knew, this was contrary to constitutional precedent and international practice. It also contradicted the position of previous Lib Dem and Liberal leaders, who had said simply that they would seek to get the best deal for the party in the wider national interest. Given that, in 2010, the Tories were very likely to be the largest party in any hung parliament, Clegg knew this would give momentum to a Tory-Lib Dem coalition above all other options. And so it proved.

Here lies a crucial point of distinction with Continental politics. The major centre-right parties on the Continent - the successors to the Gaullists in France, the Christian Demo­crats in Germany and Benelux - have tended to be corporatist and statist. Liberal parties in these countries inject a dose of market individualism into coalitions of the right. In Britain, by contrast, the post-Thatcher Tory party is thoroughly neoliberal, though it is wearing a "big society" badge this time around. This means that a Lib Dem leader from the same stable is mutually reinforcing, not a force for compromise. Which is precisely the record of the Cameron/Clegg coalition in practice.

Why is the Lib Dem social-democratic majority putting up with it? It doesn't quite realise that a coup took place last year (I have lost count of how many Lib Dems have told me: "Nick had no alternative but to go in with the Tories"). These Lib Dems like the idea of their party being in government and latch on to the small mercies - a referendum on AV here, a bit of Murdoch-bashing there. And they are still out of sorts with Labour. Above all, they have no choice, until they get a new leader. They were not in the room when Clegg and Cameron did the deal. They are not in cabinet meetings when Tory policy after Tory policy is agreed.

Few cats in here, Lib Dem MEP, plus I think Jeremy Browne wrote the biography. 

http://www.newstatesman.com/uk-politics/2011/09/clegg-tory-liberal-party

The book was written by Chris Bowers, and published on Biteback, the publisher owned by Tory blogger Iain Dale and Lord Ashcroft. I hope we can agree they may not have a neutral outlook.

Andrew Davies in that quote says Clegg is a continental-style liberal, which is much nearer the mark. You know those European liberals - they're the ones who aren't scared of markets, who consequently live in countries with better healthcare and more equal outcomes.

The idea that someone who was a Tory would give up the prospect of an easy life in the Tories for a life of abuse and mockery in the Lib Dems is one I find difficult to give any credence.

The book was written by Chris Bowers, and published on Biteback, the publisher owned by Tory blogger Iain Dale and Lord Ashcroft. I hope we can agree they may not have a neutral outlook.

Andrew Davies in that quote says Clegg is a continental-style liberal, which is much nearer the mark. You know those European liberals - they're the ones who aren't scared of markets, who consequently live in countries with better healthcare and more equal outcomes.

The idea that someone who was a Tory would give up the prospect of an easy life in the Tories for a life of abuse and mockery in the Lib Dems is one I find difficult to give any credence.

It would if he was pro European surely? Why would he want an easy life? I'm sure he had things he wanted to achieve in politics. 

Clegg is the reason the Lib Dems were decimated at the last election. The Lib Dems did a report after the election that said Clegg was toxic when they were knocking on doors pre-election. I believe the speed with which they accepted the increase to tuition fees destroyed any credibility he had. Their vote will partly recover at the next election provided he is nowhere to be seen.

It still makes me laugh the way he did his last minute election tour of Land's End to John O'Groats - and the only seat the Lib Dems got in Scotland was Orkney & Shetland.

They would've lost that, too, if that slippery cunt had pitched up there.

You're making it all up, hence your repeated failure to support a single claim, other than with vague references to my posting history.

Like I say, a despicable lying cunt and a vile excuse for a human being.

You know when you go off on these periodic rants of yours, do you actually get as worked up as it sounds, or is it just for show?

Either way, it's not a healthy way for an adult to behave.

• Upvote 1