You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafael Benítez on the brink of leaving Liverpool over Anfield rift

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People want direct quotes about Rafa's underhandedness, they don't seem too bothered when it's about Purslow's.

Again, if people genuinely think the pay-off is not one of Rafa's biggest concerns, it's an opinion as valid as anyone else's.

Naive like, but...

I agree that talking to Juve and flirting with Real all those times is underhand but while the pay off isnt great from our point of view, as supporters as we think that money would be better spent elsewhere, is it underhand of him to want it? its in his contract

I'd want it

You know as well as I do the club weren't going to say no, as the owners had backed themselves into the corner and were under the impression that giving Benitez a new contract would afford them good feeling from the supporters.

Alonso was told to find a new club in summer '08 and never told any different at any point through the 08/09 season. He found his new club, so he wasn't doing anything he hadn't been told to.

Benitez hasn't been told anything and, as people have hinted, the chairman could rightly pull him on this.

I've never said I've got a problem with him doing it and I welcome it as I want him gone yesterday; but that doesn't mean it should be ignored when peiople are trying to defend him and make out like he's the good guy being forced out by the knobheads in charge.

What about the Klinsman debacle? What about the current 'Liverpool's management are getting a bit tired of Rafa's politiking' being fed to the press, what about the missing money, Rafa certainly seems to believe that the circumstances changed!

Maybe the word negotiating is the wrong word? Maybe looking at his options is a better way of phrasing it, one suggests a decision the other is planning for eventualities!

Just trying to make sense of what is going on and trying to keep a level of optimism.

Sorry but I wasn't arsed about Alonso negotiating, and I am not going to be arsed about Rafa negotiating!

Like you, I just think there is a lot of hypocrisy in people who defended the same situation but with another person, sorry but to me there is absolutely no difference in what Alonso did and what Rafa is doing.

People want direct quotes about Rafa's underhandedness, they don't seem too bothered when it's about Purslow's.

Again, if people genuinely think the pay-off is not one of Rafa's biggest concerns, it's an opinion as valid as anyone else's.

Naive like, but...

They are going to put 'But what about him?' on your feckin tombstone!

What about the Klinsman debacle? What about the current 'Liverpool's management are getting a bit tired of Rafa's politiking' being fed to the press, what about the missing money, Rafa certainly seems to believe that the circumstances changed!

Maybe the word negotiating is the wrong word? Maybe looking at his options is a better way of phrasing it, one suggests a decision the other is planning for eventualities!

Just trying to make sense of what is going on and trying to keep a level of optimism.

Sorry but I wasn't arsed about Alonso negotiating, and I am not going to be arsed about Rafa negotiating!

Like you, I just think there is a lot of hypocrisy in people who defended the same situation but with another person, sorry but to me there is absolutely no difference in what Alonso did and what Rafa is doing.

Part in bold: We marched in his name because of that. And for what? For him to throw it back in our faces by getting his mate to tell us he needs assurances off us? Er, you fucking what, mate?

And like I say; I've no problem with him getting himself an exit strategy (it's how we got him) I'd just like people to actually ackowledge it.

Part in bold: We marched in his name because of that. And for what? For him to throw it back in our faces by getting his mate to tell us he needs assurances off us? Er, you fucking what, mate?

And like I say; I've no problem with him getting himself an exit strategy (it's how we got him) I'd just like people to actually ackowledge it.

Agree with that, twat of a thing to say.

I think we all acknowledge he has an exit strategy and has probably had one for the past six years, and each season at Valencia as well I have no doubt!

Oli Kay from the Times did a webchat today and said the following (apols if posted elsewhere):

As a worried Liverpool fan.....the few days in the papers have thouroughly scared me. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? What will Liverpool be like come August 2010?

13:20 Oliver Kay:

Well I'm sure there will be some people out there who accuse the papers of scaremongering and of taking every opportunity to pour ignominy the club. But realistically, yes the situation behind the scenes is every bit as bad as portrayed. Everything I've been told over the past week or so has left me 99 per cent certain that Benitez will be leaving, whether he jumps or whether he's pushed. The only real light at the end of the tunnel would be a sale to wealthy, responsible owners. Looking down the list to my right, there are plenty of questions to come on that issue

What is it the media have against rafa, why are they so harsh on him but leave wenger alone?

13:36 Oliver Kay:

I think Wenger has been criticised over the past couple of seasons. Have you not on occasions seen him accused of being unsporting (every time Arsenal lose), tactically naive (certainly after the Barcelona away game) and stubborn or ignorant to the shortcomings of certain players? Managers do get criticised for what they get wrong. There has undoubtedly been criticism of Benitez in the past when he has been getting things 99 per cent right. But he has not built up as much credit in six seasons as Wenger has in 14 or Ferguson has in 24. That, to me, is obvious.

Do yuo think Rafa's on his way? Yes or no?

What's your take on benitez, and the situation in liverpool f.c. in general Oli?

What are Rafa's chances of being in charge at Liverpool next season and do they hinge on new owners?

Do you expect Rafael Benitez to be the manager of Liverpool FC at the start of the new season? And if the answer is no, who do you think will or should be?

13:46 Oliver Kay:

And that was just a few of the Benitez questions ... In response, no i don't think he will be Liverpool manager next season. Things behind the scenes at Anfield are bad. He is at war with the club's hierarchy yet again and, after various truces over the past few years, this time I think both sides want it resolved once and for all. I've always been on Benitez's side regarding his dealings with the board -- and the instinct is still to regard him as the good guy now -- but it's gone too far now. The political fighting has taken its toll on the club and on himself. It would take something very dramatic to bring it back from the brink now. Besides, I'm not convinced that's what either side wants

Can liverpool recover? especially if City reach the Champions league.

13:49 Oliver Kay:

Finishing outside the top four in 2007 or 2008 wouldn't have been that damaging, but Liverpool's fall from grace has been very badly timed. City are only going to get bigger and stronger over the next few years -- I can actually see them winning the league sooner rather than later -- while Arsenal should also get stronger as they start to draw on the profits of their new stadium. It's an exaggeration to say that missing out on Champions League football consigns Liverpool to the wilderness forever, but, unless they get a sugar daddy of their own, I can see the next year or two being bleak

Will try to get a sneaky question in before it's too late. Do you think it would make it easier to sell Liverpool with Mourinho as manager or with Roy Hodgson in the dug out?

14:23 Oliver Kay:

Theoretically, yes. In practice, how on earth do you propose to get Mourinho anywhere near the Liverpool dug-out without first resolving the ownership situation? Mourinho to Liverpool isn't going to happen.

Its going to be Kenny and the sooner people accept it the better.

He'll be interim until the sale is complete.

Is fine by me

But do we have to appoint a manager anyway.

The season is over on Sunday and if the deal is agreed at the end of May why confuse the issue.

There are no football decisions to be made until pre-season begins

Seriously, what game is Rafa playing at?

Sky Sports | Football News | Premier League | Liverpool | Benitez expected to stay

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez is more likely to stay at Anfield than take over at Juventus this summer, according to the Spaniard's agent.

The former Valencia boss has been repeatedly linked with a move to Italy throughout the course of a disappointing season when the Reds have again failed to win a trophy and have not qualified for the 2010/11 UEFA Champions League.

On-field disappointments, boardroom unrest and mountains of debt have led to co-owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks putting the club up for sale and Martin Broughton has been appointed as a new chairman to facilitate any deal.

Benitez welcomed news of the sale after months of complaining about a lack of money, but he has reportedly cancelled a number of opportunities to meet Broughton to suggest that he does not think he has a future at Liverpool.

However, the 50-year-old's representative, Manuel Garcai Quilon, does not believe his client is ready to leave, telling calciomercato.it: "At the moment it is more likely that Rafa will remain in England.

"I do not know if he has met, or will meet in the next few days, with the new chairman."

Quilon, though, has reiterated that Benitez's mind may be made up by the amount of money that is made available in the close-season.

"The aspect of investment on the team is important because Liverpool need reinforcements," added Quilon.

Seriously, what game is Rafa playing at?

Sky Sports | Football News | Premier League | Liverpool | Benitez expected to stay

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez is more likely to stay at Anfield than take over at Juventus this summer, according to the Spaniard's agent.

The former Valencia boss has been repeatedly linked with a move to Italy throughout the course of a disappointing season when the Reds have again failed to win a trophy and have not qualified for the 2010/11 UEFA Champions League.

On-field disappointments, boardroom unrest and mountains of debt have led to co-owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks putting the club up for sale and Martin Broughton has been appointed as a new chairman to facilitate any deal.

Benitez welcomed news of the sale after months of complaining about a lack of money, but he has reportedly cancelled a number of opportunities to meet Broughton to suggest that he does not think he has a future at Liverpool.

However, the 50-year-old's representative, Manuel Garcai Quilon, does not believe his client is ready to leave, telling calciomercato.it: "At the moment it is more likely that Rafa will remain in England.

"I do not know if he has met, or will meet in the next few days, with the new chairman."

Quilon, though, has reiterated that Benitez's mind may be made up by the amount of money that is made available in the close-season.

"The aspect of investment on the team is important because Liverpool need reinforcements," added Quilon.

i know something. i wish that cunt of an agent would shut his fucking gob. he's been quoted more times than cameron, clegg and brown this last month.