You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Buying a console - advice needed

aladdinsane

I haven't owned a games console in ages (the last one I had was a ps2) but I'm looking at getting a new one and I'm looking for something affordable. I've had a quick look around on the net, but I'm not really sure which chain does the best offers for gamers.

I only want one for a few games - guitar hero,beatles games,grand theft auto 4 and maybe one or two more as I was never a massive gamer anyway, but I haven't got a clue anymore about which console is worth getting. I'm learning towards an xbox 360 but I'm not sure if it's worth having an arcade or an elite one. I understand the elite one has more memory etc. but for the games I want, is it worth paying extra? I also don't get the internet part of it, how it works in terms of subscription etc.

Also, how does it compare to ps3/wii? Cheers

I have all 3 consoles and this is my preference in order

PS3

Xbox 360

Nintendo Wii

I put the Wii last because while it is fun at times it doesn't make me want to play it often and i can't remember the last time i turned it on. Right, i used to be a massive fan of the Xbox 360 because i was in to multiplayer games like Gears of War and all the Call of Dutys but while it was great fun i can never stay on my console for more of an hour without getting bored these days which is why the Playstation is perfect for me.

When i am bored these days i just put some FIFA on or Madden or something for a quick game and it suits me perfectly, i don't spend hours and hours on a game and jumping on and off the console is great for me, while you can do this with the Xbox i don't think it is as good for a part time gamer since you have to pay to play people online on the Xbox while on the PS3 it is free. Also the Blu Ray aspect of the PS3 is what really wins it for me, i just throw a movie on at night and enjoy the goodness of blu ray without the need for a separate player, it is all on the PS3.

If you like to play hours on end and talk over a headset and stuff then get an Xbox, if you want to just play casually without the worry of xbox memberships and stuff then get a PS3.

I have all 3 consoles and this is my preference in order

PS3

Xbox 360

Nintendo Wii

I put the Wii last because while it is fun at times it doesn't make me want to play it often and i can't remember the last time i turned it on. Right, i used to be a massive fan of the Xbox 360 because i was in to multiplayer games like Gears of War and all the Call of Dutys but while it was great fun i can never stay on my console for more of an hour without getting bored these days which is why the Playstation is perfect for me.

When i am bored these days i just put some FIFA on or Madden or something for a quick game and it suits me perfectly, i don't spend hours and hours on a game and jumping on and off the console is great for me, while you can do this with the Xbox i don't think it is as good for a part time gamer since you have to pay to play people online on the Xbox while on the PS3 it is free. Also the Blu Ray aspect of the PS3 is what really wins it for me, i just throw a movie on at night and enjoy the goodness of blu ray without the need for a separate player, it is all on the PS3.

If you like to play hours on end and talk over a headset and stuff then get an Xbox, if you want to just play casually without the worry of xbox memberships and stuff then get a PS3.

Cheers for the advice. I'm not really bothered about the online gaming too much to be honest, but the ps3 would be better if i got into that. I'm more used to just playing games alone or with my friends/family at home anyway. The ps3 certainly looks impressive, but seems a lot more expensive , console and games wise than the xbox. I don't really watch too many movies either I'm honest so I'm not sure if it worth be worth the extra price. If I went with an xbox, would it be worth getting an arcade or an elite for a casual gamer?

I've found an arcade version on the hmv site for 115 which seems quite reasonable. I'm just worried I won't end up regretting not getting a ps3 or elite if I proper get into the games. I can pick up a few games I want quite cheap too because they've been out for a while which is good. I was thinking of getting the beatles rockband game but the whole kit is more than the console which is just ridiculous.

The ps3 is the best really good buy, the xbox 360 always gives me a fear of the red rings specially when is not mine. (I live with my sister so is her husbands.) The ps3 is just awesome free online play and awesome graphics also the 360 doesn't have a web browser and you need to buy a wireless thing. The ps3 brings everything. ;] The wii is kinda lame since you always have to move a lot to play the games.

what's red rings mate? im guessing it's some technical thing? feel free to speak to me like a complete idiot because i only haven't got a clue about gaming anymore. i keep hearing more good things about the ps3 but i don't think i fancy paying 300 quid on it if i'm possibly not going to play the thing that much

Is this technical problem that the xbox has all the green rings when it turns on come out with red instead showing that theres a problem and it won't turn on. I had a lot of friends that had happened this to them they had to return it they were lucky that they had the guaranteed still valid is all very worrying and stressing though. I heard rumors that the elite version doesn't have this since they fixed it but the older versions do.

I recommend saving up that extra cash to get the ps3. You won't go wrong with it we use the ps3 here a lot more then the other consoles we watch movies online and stuff is really great. Also you said you were a ps2 guy well it is the best thats why the price is so hefty but you will never need to pay for online subscription or have to worry about getting one also the graphics on it with a hd cable are incredible, I played fifa 2010 on both of the consoles and the ps3 is a lot better in my opinion. Also they have the slim version out which is really light and looks sleek. :]

I've got both an Xbox 360 and a PS3 and I hardly switch the former on anymore. To be honest apart from a number of exclusive titles for each, the multi platform games are extremely similar on both. The PS3 worked out cheaper for me. It has in built wireless, the Bluray player and the free online capabilities. If I wanted the same but with an Xbox 360 I'd end up paying more.

That said, you mentioned you only want it to play a few games (offline) and aren't really interested in the Bluray, so I'd probably recommend the Xbox. The red rings used to be a big problem (rumours of 50% failure rate) I've had to return mine. Apparently they have now rectified that and the failure rate has dropped significantly. The PS3 isn't exempt from failure, there has been a few yellow light failures but nowhere near as many as Xbox.

I've got a PS3 and it's great.

But I gotta say, if I was buying now, I'd go for an XBox 360.

It's cheaper - HMV is knocking out the Arcade for £114. You'll get Quidco on that as well, so it will be a bit cheaper.

The PS3 is way overpriced for me, yes it's wireless, yes it's blu-ray, yes it's free to play on-line, but it's around the £250 mark and if you get a games bundle, it's mostly around the £300. Ouch!

The XBox has most of the games the PS3 has and some of its own exclusives which are really good - Forza 3 for example.

Ignore anyone who says either machine has the 'best graphics' - they're both excellent machines, it's just one is massively cheaper than the other.

If do you get a XBox 360, make sure it's got a Jasper motherboard. These are the latest boards which apparently have a better survival rate for RROD.

You can tell if it's Jasper because the sticker on the machine will say something like 12.1A. You can see this through the XBox packaging or ask the sales fella to confirm it's a Jasper board.

Microsoft gives 3 years warranty on new machines for RROD. Sony won't even admit YLOD is a problem and asks for for over £100 to fix it!

I went for an xbox. I got an arcade one, two controllers and two games (pure and lego batman - probably shite?) for 120 quid then picked up resident evil 5 and gta 4 for 20 quid together, so it was a bit cheaper than I was expecting. I'm just on the look out for the beatles game and the equipment cheap now.

One thing though, if you're looking at GTA IV as one of the games to play - are The Ballad of Gay Tony and the other two extra episodes still 360 exclusive? If so, and if GTA is a big consideration, then it is worth bearing in mind that Gay Tony is, in my opinion, loads more fun than the main GTA IV. Though if you can now get it on PS3 it's totally irrelevant.

One thing though, if you're looking at GTA IV as one of the games to play - are The Ballad of Gay Tony and the other two extra episodes still 360 exclusive? If so, and if GTA is a big consideration, then it is worth bearing in mind that Gay Tony is, in my opinion, loads more fun than the main GTA IV. Though if you can now get it on PS3 it's totally irrelevant.

They're no longer exclusive and were announced for release recently, I can't remember the date though. I agree I thought that Gay Tony was better than GTA IV.

Might get an X Box arcade myself, 100 notes in Argos, the PS3 price takes the piss considering how long it's been out, if I wanted to get raped I'd go and deal crack-rock in front of a Fresno copshop. This online bollocks can fuck off too, I've got enough stress in my life without continually being shot in the head by some 12-year-old boy called 'Chad' from Minnesota.