Quantcast
Put Gerrard back on the right? - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Hooch

Put Gerrard back on the right?

I think we should put Gerrard back onto the right in the role he excelled in 05/06. Teams have sussed him out in his current 'in the hole role'. It gives him free reign to move about and hurt teams while Carra looks after the defensive duties at right back, at least for now while Glens still out.

Aqualani can come into the vacated role he prefers and will have the eye to find Steven too. Seeing as Lucas and Mascherano are undroppable fir Benitez, I think this formation might bear fruit in the form of some motherfucking goals.

Thoughts?

I agree, posted the same thing in the Bolton match thread. I still feel he can he do a great job playing just behind Torres, but while struggling for fitness and confidence he could benefit from being played out there, get a bit more space and freedom to roam. Play Aquilani behind the striker instead.

Yes. Take the pressure off him while he gets his form back. At the moment our attack constantly breaks down as everything goes through him and he's just not functioning.

Tactically I wouldn't mind it. Realistically the last thing we need right now is the captain throwing his toys out of the pram.

I'd drop him back to centre mid for most games for the rest of the season. He's not involved enough in the games to really influence them at the moment.

I don't think he has been "sussed" but I wouldn't object to him being on the right for a bit.

Yes, sussed may be too strong a word, but I think a lot of teams can nullify a lot of what he can do by simply sticking a player with a bit of pace man marking him. I think Mancianne was deployed for this at Wolves. Obviously if Gerrard is blob on form (which he certainly isn't near right now) he can be unstoppable.

Yea wouldn't be a bad move. Play Aquilani behind the striker and either maxi or riera out left. There's a lot more running involved on the wing probably, but it has the advantage of having both Aquilani and Gerrard in the team.

Will it happen? No, prob not.

If he complained I'd point to our current right back as a prime example of what a team player and captain is. He and sky pundits can both Fuck right off if they object.

I would prefer him in midfield instead of Lucas.

I'd prefer him instead of Lucas in that role, I certainly agree with that, but I would prefer Lucas instead of Mascherano at the moment! Can't be sure which Mascherano is going to turn up!

Where would Kuyt/Maxi/Benayoun then play?

Maxi can play left or behind the striker, and be a back up for right mid.

Benayoun can do the same.

Kuyt, well - I could go on and on and on and on.....

Gerrard wouldn't wear it as the uproar from the Sky pundits would demand Rafa play him in the centre.

That'll be the same type of uproar as when Capello plays him on the left, then?

The guy can play any position, and when he's on song... he can play it better than most of the people who play that position naturally. However, right now he's struggling for fitness and playing poorly. He just needs games. I like the idea of slipping him back to the midfield next to Mascherano because it'll let him gain fitness, and get involved with his tackling, regardless of if he has an impact on the scoreline.