You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FM10 Network Game

Allan

A little early I know, but if we can get a head start on this, the better it will be for everyone involved.

If you're interested, stick your name down on here, and over the coming days/weeks, we can go through the finer details and get this mother going.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks lads, thought we'd have a little more interest than this so far, but there is time yet.

Thought it would be nice to get some ground rules and the like sorted before we get going, seeing the issues we've had with our FM09 game, crashes and playing time conflicts especially....

I think anu game where we play each other should be saved incase of crashes.

These are the sort of things we need set in stone before we get going, also what to do if someone can't make it for a session, or part of a session.

The major problems we've had have been down to the odd crash, firstly with me and my laptop as host, meaning we had no choice but to return to the last save point, then with you guys later in the game when I switched to my desktop, where we both restarted from a save point or continued regardless.

The biggest problem has been when 3 out of 4, or 4 out of 5 have been able to play, but due to the odd person not being around, no games have been played and we've lost time as a result.

If I end up getting this, I will be up for it.

Maybe a few suggestions were you should randomly get a team chosen for you. All this going the top 4 is a bit pointless as it does not test your true credentials*

I would say doing a challenge of breaking into the top 4 for example with the likes of Everton or Villa.

* says the man who has taken the 2nd best team in our online game last season, and killed any chance of a league title, within 3 months.

I think, say if we got 6 people and 4 were online we can continue. Say like 2/3 required to continue?

This I agree with, due to experience of our game, if you can't play that night, you have an ass man who can look after things for you.

I have no problems in people playing when I am not there.

I don't fancy starting any network games until after Christmas. I like a few months to get to grips with the game, especially with the changes in this one.

Fair enough, more time to hammer out the finer details prior to starting I suppose.

Fair enough, more time to hammer out the finer details prior to starting I suppose.

If I'm the only one, then I don't mind you all starting, and me joining at a later date. There is plenty to discuss though.

Me

Allan

Simon

Mike

Alex

Yozzer

Malarkey

Are we doing all from the same league or any team from any league if we get, say 10 people?

To be decided....

My initial thoughts were to have x people in one league/country and y in another, split as evenly as possible.

The main problem we will have, and have had on 09, is playing times.

Obviously, the more players involved the more variables are thrown into the works regarding working hours, college and personal commitments.

If there were any kind of sitter system, and multiple hosts, then we'd get round the timing issue somewhat, but I just can't see any way to do this, plus I also doubt that people would go for it to be honest.

It would be an idea if we can start compiling "rules" now.

Brought forward for our FM09 game;

Assistant Managers to arrange friendlies, take control of friendlies and handle press conferences.

Unselect move matches for TV.

Force Continue set to 60/70% of users and 30 seconds.

Match highlights set to key and match speed at fastest, no replays.

There are a couple of things the host can do in preferences to help get through those pesky international breaks, suppressing the level of detail of competitions for one.

The most time consuming things are always the transfer windows, so perhaps we think of transfer capping or some such scheme?

Any other suggestions are welcomed to help speed things along.

I've never played a network game, how does it work, do we all have to be online at the same time?

Not really, others can play in someones absence, however, the absent persons team is then controlled by their assistant manager for the duration of that session.

It would be an idea if we can start compiling "rules" now.

Brought forward for our FM09 game;

Assistant Managers to arrange friendlies, take control of friendlies and handle press conferences.

Unselect move matches for TV.

Force Continue set to 60/70% of users and 30 seconds.

Match highlights set to key and match speed at fastest, no replays.

There are a couple of things the host can do in preferences to help get through those pesky international breaks, suppressing the level of detail of competitions for one.

The most time consuming things are always the transfer windows, so perhaps we think of transfer capping or some such scheme?

Any other suggestions are welcomed to help speed things along.

Them rules are good but need to wait till the full games out to see if theirs any extra options to help us cut down time. In relation to the transfer part, it will be difficult to place a capping system because some people will need to strengthen their squads more than others. One possible solution could be some kind of set time limit per turn when the transfer window is open. (Of corse if your Chelsea then no problems - cant sign till 2011!)