You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arbeloa Vs Johnson: A step up?

WhiskeyJar

Arbeloa Vs Johnson: A step up?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Arbeloa Vs Johnson: A step up?

• Johnson is a better player.
    • Keep Arbeloa, Johnson is not needed.
    • Undecided.

Arbeloa ..

Very, very consistent.

Rarely gives the ball away.

Good defender

Decent attacker

Johnson ..

Good offensively

Consistent?

Defending?

Passing?

I'd keep Bob, Johnson would be a good addition to the squad, but he'd be far too expensive. We have far more important fish to fry .. :whistle:

I think Johnson would be better in tight home games where we need to stretch teams , but if you can believe the papers ( J £18m - A £8m ) we would be losing £10m for a marginal improvement at best. Wouldn't pose a problem at Chelsea & Real , but it is a big problem for us.

The rumours that we have offered £5m for Micah Richards cheer me up as if he can sort his head out he is potentially far better than Johnson & covers for the central positions also.

Voted 'undecided'

for me it isn't about a step up its adding competition and squad depth.

we don't look as balanced as a team when arbeloa is injuried so basically signing johnson (whilst retaining) arbeloa will mean we wont get knocked out of stride with injuries.

Very good point.

Johnson isn't worth more than £10 million, and even that's pushing it. Arbeloa is a good player, so unless he's looking to leave then I don't see the point of spunking half our budget on a player we don't desparately need.

Johnson without doubt for me. And I'd pay 15 mil for him too.

Get your heads out your arses people, thats the going rate these days if we want to compete.

Sure it's a risk, but we don't want another Dossena.

Johnson without doubt for me. And I'd pay 15 mil for him too.

Get your heads out your arses people, thats the going rate these days if we want to compete.

Sure it's a risk, but we don't want another Dossena.

Yours is about the first unreasoned response on this thread. Quite ironic.

Yours is about the first unreasoned response on this thread. Quite ironic.

Ya ma.

Thats an unreasoned response.

People always moan about how we used to sign these middle range/ bargain basement players. Now everyones saying 15 million is too much. Man theres some tight arses on here. You can't have it both ways.

Johnson isn't worth more than £10 million, and even that's pushing it. Arbeloa is a good player, so unless he's looking to leave then I don't see the point of spunking half our budget on a player we don't desparately need.

why is he not worth more than 10 million? Muamba went for 5.5 mil and Barry went for 12 million. Diarra was 25 million. Bramble is being touted around at 5 million. Bullard went for about that too.

Why is Johnson not worth 10 mil? I do not understand the reasoning?

Pompey are loaded, we are a top club and have to pay a premium. We are lucky they dont turn around and say 30 million. If we dont get some english in soon we will either soon inferior english players or be forced to pay a disgraceful sum for someone.

Full backs aren't the priority this summer. Keeping our central midfield, or replacing it, and signing some firepower on the flanks should be our major priority these next two-three months. Arbeloa is perfectly, perfectly adequate. We really, really don't need to replace him at all. There are better full backs don't get me wrong but we have bigger fish to fry, as has already been stated earlier in the thread.

I also don't think Johnson is that much of an upgrade on Arbeloa. At least if we're on the back foot I know I can depend on Arbeloa - I can't say that about Johnson. He got absolutely mugged by the Khazakstan left winger on multiple occasions last Saturday, including inside the first 20 seconds and just generally inspires concern for me because as good as he is going forward, I like my full backs to defend, first and foremost.

Besides, the big thing that Johnson does over Arbeloa? He looks up. Bob just throws the ball into the box, Johnson actually looks up, then picks his man out. If Arbeloa masters that there'd be even less need to sign a right back. It just isn't a priority.

Ya ma.

Thats an unreasoned response.

People always moan about how we used to sign these middle range/ bargain basement players. Now everyones saying 15 million is too much. Man theres some tight arses on here. You can't have it both ways.

People are complaining about paying too much for middle range players which is what Johnson is. I don't think they'd complain if we paid 40m for Ribery.

People are complaining about paying too much for middle range players which is what Johnson is. I don't think they'd complain if we paid 40m for Ribery.

But Ribery is up into the Ronaldo bracket and going by the market surely the middle of the range players are going to be around 15 mil.

I personally think he is quality and signing an international right back for 15 mil is quite good in the current climate.

I dont see how people can put a value on players these days, we need to pay what is required to get our targets and forget the figures. We have had this tight fisted attitude for years whilst the mancs over pay but win everything in sight

But Ribery is up into the Ronaldo bracket and going by the market surely the middle of the range players are going to be around 15 mil.

I personally think he is quality and signing an international right back for 15 mil is quite good in the current climate.

I dont see how people can put a value on players these days, we need to pay what is required to get our targets and forget the figures. We have had this tight fisted attitude for years whilst the mancs over pay but win everything in sight

I see 15m as being 3/4 of our budget and that going on a low priority position on someone who is not world class just doesn't sit right. I guess you can rationalize it, but I'd rather we didn't.

hope he's improved because he was so shit Chelsea wouldn't even play him against us and he was subbed at half time twice when they did - mugged by the silky skills of Riise and Diouf...........

looks good going forward, but when he's defending he looks like he loses 3 yards of pace, positionally is all over the place - can deliver a good ball and beat a man though - couldn't see him doing well in the tactical stuff in europe

odd one for me - Micah Richards was a £25 million pound player 2 years ago - if somebody could get his head sorted he still could be a superstar and he'd be the best right back in the prem and be playing in the world cup next summer....he'd also make us very dangerous from set pieces - great leap given he isn't the biggest

hope he's improved because he was so shit Chelsea wouldn't even play him against us and he was subbed at half time twice when they did - mugged by the silky skills of Riise and Diouf...........

looks good going forward, but when he's defending he looks like he loses 3 yards of pace, positionally is all over the place - can deliver a good ball and beat a man though - couldn't see him doing well in the tactical stuff in europe

odd one for me - Micah Richards was a £25 million pound player 2 years ago - if somebody could get his head sorted he still could be a superstar and he'd be the best right back in the prem and be playing in the world cup next summer....he'd also make us very dangerous from set pieces - great leap given he isn't the biggest