You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Two Decisions.

millomred

People on here go on about all the draws that we had at home against teams that we really should have been beating cost us the league and they have a very valid argument. But I think that two very bad refereeing decisions are what ultimatly cost us the league.

Decision 1. Referee Andre Mariner ,I think it was, against Stoke City at Anfield. disallows Steven Gerrards free kick for no apparent reason and TV has also shown that it was a perfectly good goal, cost`s us 2 point`s.

Decision 2. Referee Howard Webb give Man Utd a penalty at home to Spurs, when the Mancs were 2-0 down,this was the life line they needed to get back into the match and eventually win it.The goalie touched the ball away from the on rushing Carrick, TV also proving that he touched the ball away and Carrick fell over the keeper. Get`s the Mancs 3 point`s when there was a real chance that they may have struggled to get 1.

Had those two decisions not occured I really belive that I would now be nursing the biggest hangover of my life.

Any opinions? but please, please don`t harp on about all the draws, i`ve heard and read enough about them.

No point worrying about stuff like this. Like i said in the other thread, you could just as easy say we were lucky that Lampard got sent off for getting the ball and Valencia getting booked when he didn't even move from the wall. They do tend to even out over a season and we got some breaks as well as some bad luck.

It happened though. No point in worrying. All teams can look back and say "If....". We had some decisions in our favour too. these things normally balance out more or less. We came up short in the end, but after putting ourself back in the race by beating united we hardly put a foot wrong. We put pressure on them nearly all the way.

What about decisions that went our way in crucial games like the sending offs of our oponents v Man City and Chelsea amongst others

The table never lies thats why its the most important trophy to win because if you win it you are the best.

We have proved oursleves the best in a one off game against a team prepared to play football against us but we still have some way to go against teams that park the bus

Yeah, it pretty much evens itself out. Wouldn't say we've been particularly unlucky with decisions this season. Doesn't mean I didn't scream at the tv when United got that penalty against Spurs, though!

Anyway, I think the "goal" against Stoke was actaully correctly disallowed. Didn't think so at the time, but watching the replays it turned out the ref was just about right.

Much as it is tempting, we can't go on about decisions in the league. Over a whole campaign the best team wins the title. You have to trust that. That's what makes the title so worthwhile.

In the European Cup you can't quite make the same case, and luck does factor into it a bit more, especially when it comes to the knockout stages.

People on here go on about all the draws that we had at home against teams that we really should have been beating cost us the league and they have a very valid argument. But I think that two very bad refereeing decisions are what ultimatly cost us the league.

Decision 1. Referee Andre Mariner ,I think it was, against Stoke City at Anfield. disallows Steven Gerrards free kick for no apparent reason and TV has also shown that it was a perfectly good goal, cost`s us 2 point`s.

Decision 2. Referee Howard Webb give Man Utd a penalty at home to Spurs, when the Mancs were 2-0 down,this was the life line they needed to get back into the match and eventually win it.The goalie touched the ball away from the on rushing Carrick, TV also proving that he touched the ball away and Carrick fell over the keeper. Get`s the Mancs 3 point`s when there was a real chance that they may have struggled to get 1.

Had those two decisions not occured I really belive that I would now be nursing the biggest hangover of my life.

Any opinions? but please, please don`t harp on about all the draws, i`ve heard and read enough about them.

Poor post. We are not the Blueshite and blame it on the refs.

We would have beaten most of their teams if we were set out to attack them from the off like we did to teams at Anfield after the Madrid game by picking our strongest team and blitzing them. Not many of those teams that got those draws could have dealt or lived with us.

One penalty = 5 goals? Spurs would have bottled it anyways imo. We still had 88 minutes or whatever it was to score a goal at home against Stoke after that free kick, was that the refs fault? Also Torres was obstructing the keepers view of the ball and he was probably slightly offside. We've had plenty of decisions go our way this season.

All teams can point to specific decisions throughout the year. Some go for you and some go against. I dont buy into the argument that they even themselves out over a season. Its a cliche and a shit one at that.

We were really only two goals away from winning the league this season, turn any two of the draws into wins and we were there. We are close, really close. We need to get it right this summer though.

All teams can point to specific decisions throughout the year. Some go for you and some go against. I dont buy into the argument that they even themselves out over a season. Its a cliche and a shit one at that.

We were really only two goals away from winning the league this season, turn any two of the draws into wins and we were there. We are close, really close. We need to get it right this summer though.

And I suppose the Mancs were only two goals away from another four points in any of their six drawn games.

Come on, it's really cheap to be talking like this.

And I suppose the Mancs were only two goals away from another four points in any of their six drawn games.

Come on, it's really cheap to be talking like this.

I'm not crying about decisions, I am merely pointing out how close we were this year. We were two goals away from winning it, dont be such a misery guts.

Harsh on Riera. He's been decent. He's had some great games and some shit games, but he wasn't a bad buy by any stretch.

I'll admit a bit harsh on Riera he has brought some balance to the side, the first game i seen him against the mancs i thought he was goone be some player.. never really showed it however...

my point is he cost around £11m few more and we could have had Arshavin, throw the fee for Dossena and maybe Silva?

I'll admit a bit harsh on Riera he has brought some balance to the side, the first game i seen him against the mancs i thought he was goone be some player.. never really showed it however...

my point is he cost around £11m few more and we could have had Arshavin, throw the fee for Dossena and maybe Silva?

I thought Riera cost around £6m-£7m

Edited by lawrie
spelling

He was £8m. He's been good value for that.

Have to disagree. Showed alot of promise at start, but offered very little in alot of games. Why no mention of Lucas here. He is poor. I honestly dont think he would get on another permership team. Offers absolutely nothing to the team. Which is why I think there remains a question mark over Rafa's actual potential to deliver us the title we crave.