You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i understood Dunne was likely to go back to Everton, as replacement for Lescott ?

Personally, id rather have Distin than Dunne and I dont rate Distin too highly !

I'm an incredibly lazy man and can't be arsed checking, but- who said "it's a Dunne deal"?

My money is on 'INTORRESTING'. If it's me I will be surprised and damned proud though

Sky has this, no clue whether or not it's bullshit but would be great if true :

20.42 Reports in Italy claim Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez is lining up AC Milan's ex-Arsenal midfielder Mathieu Flamini as a possible replacement for either Javier Mascherano or Xabi Alonso, who have both been linked with moves to Spain.

It was in mentioned in Liverpool Echo as well (not by TB btw). Alexander Hleb was also linked.

Is it just me who thinks Flamini is horrendously overrated? He was pretty crap at Arsenal for two or three years, had half a decent season (where he stood out because he was the only Arsenal player who actually bothered to try and tackle anyone) then played right back mainly at Milan.

Is it just me who thinks Flamini is horrendously overrated? He was pretty crap at Arsenal for two or three years, had half a decent season (where he stood out because he was the only Arsenal player who actually bothered to try and tackle anyone) then played right back mainly at Milan.

He had a stormer against us before getting injured which has skewed a lot of perceptions methinks.

And he has never shown any potential apart from a pass against Newcastle. Flamini was pretty highly rated by Arsenal and their fans.

Only for half a season as I say, they thought he was pretty crap for most of the time. Then he went to Milan and can't get into their midfield.

Wasn't sure if this goes in the ongoing alonso thread or summer speculation so i've done both:

Madrid close in on £32M Alonso - mirror.co.uk

Madrid close in on £32M Alonso

By David Maddock, , 17/07/2009

Football Spy

By DAVID MADDOCK REAL MADRID believe they will finally get their man when they return with an improved offer for Xabi Alonso this weekend.

The Mirror understands that the Spanish giants have reopened talks with Liverpool and are ready to increase their bid to around £32million.

Alonso wants the deal concluded before he is due to return to Anfield on Sunday, prompting both parties to intensify negotiations.

Madrid previously offered £22m for the Spanish midfielder and were reluctant to go beyond that figure for a player priced at just £15m last summer.

But the deal has been resurrected after Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez indicated he would be willing to listen to proposals that would give him £22m cash, plus a player in part-exchange. Even though Spurs are close to agreeing a deal for young Real striker Alvaro Negredo, the Bernabeu club have offered him as part of their Alonso proposals, along with Dutch international midfielder Wesley Sneijder.

Advertisement - article continues below »

Benitez will do business if he believes that either player is priced at the right level, giving him the £35m which he believes reflects Alonso's current worth.

The Anfield boss won't accept anything less because he knows how costly it will be to replace the Spaniard in his midfield engine room.

Benitez wants to make a significant profit in replacing Alonso, to allow him to pursue Valencia winger David Silva.

With transfer activity gathering pace at Anfield, insiders within the club suggest that if a deal can be concluded to sell Alonso at the right price over the weekend, the club will try to wrap up a £20m deal for Silva next week.

Talks have been ongoing for some months, but the player has now returned from a holiday and it is thought a fee could be thrashed out in the early part of next week allowing Silva to sign by Wednesday.

Only for half a season as I say, they thought he was pretty crap for most of the time. Then he went to Milan and can't get into their midfield.

That's because he was playing everwhere APART from central midfield until his final season.. In his final season he played in the middle and played really well. By this time his relations with wenger had broken down also as he was pissed he wasn't offered a contract before so he left.

That's because he was playing everwhere APART from central midfield until his final season.. In his final season he played in the middle and played really well. By this time his relations with wenger had broken down also as he was pissed he wasn't offered a contract before so he left.

So why wasn't he played in central midfield, and why wasn't he offered a contract? Probably cos he wasn't that good. Why hasn't he played in central midfield for Milan. Probably the same reason.

So why wasn't he played in central midfield, and why wasn't he offered a contract? Probably cos he wasn't that good. Why hasn't he played in central midfield for Milan. Probably the same reason.

Because that wasn't his main position originally. He was used mainly in defense and left midfield for some reason. They had some injuries and as he was such a good utility player they tried him in the middle and that then became his best position. I'm not saying he's some world beater but he is a good player in that position and he has the energy to get up and down the pitch and score goals.

£22m + Sneijder seems the most logical move to me.

We get a good fee and a ready made replacement thrown in too.

Use the £22m to get another attacking player, whether it be out wide or to put pressure on Torres.

So why wasn't he played in central midfield, and why wasn't he offered a contract? Probably cos he wasn't that good.

??? He was offered a contract, and Arse fans were desperate for him to sign it, which is why they now refer to him as Flamoney. He's a good player, however, with it looking like it's Xabi rather than Masch who is more likely to leave, Flamini is a ridiculous suggestion. So is Cattermole. We certainly are not going to replace Xabi with players who have even less attacking skills than Masch.

That said, after the treatment Barry, Tevez, Terry, Adebayor have had on here for their interest in moving to City, it's funny how people are now suggesting Flamini who left Arsenal for the same "money" reasons".